1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SR610] Daryl Morey Presser LIVE right now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wstar, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ThaShark316_28

Yeah, great point.

2. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

Lowry is a good fit for this team. At an given time we could have three or more defensive stoppers in the lineup. Without being completely stagnant on offense.

Defensive line up
    Yao
    Hayes
    Battier
    Artest
    Lowry

Thats blocking, pestering aggressiveness, Defesive IQ, and steals. Thats a deadly line up.

3. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Also, it looks like Alderman didn't speak? I'm curious.

Maybe the plan was Alderman would speak if a different trade went down?

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

alderman who?

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here are the numbers per 48 minutes:

PPG APG RPG TO
    Lowry 16.6 7.8 5.0 3.5

Rafer 16.7 7.8 4.3 2.6

Rafer has always been pretty good at protecting the ball, but he is having his best year in the turnover department. And Lowry is shooting 41% while Rafer is shooting 37%. Lowry is much younger and I expect he will do nothing but get better with more playing time. This is not the catastrophe I think most people are making it out to be (and I was one of them at first).

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I think you are reading too much into the comments. they just need to fill tracy's void one way or another. if they were convinced they would not keep artest and lose him for nothing(or not be able to find comparable talent this summer) they would have moved him today.

7. wstar

wstar Member

Look at these numbers. Lowry doesn't shoot 3's often and that's fine - he's not good at it. (17-69, 24.6% this year). Rafer's not either, but he launches all the time (80-230, 34.8%).
    Eliminate those shots this year and here are their respective 2-pt field goal numbers...

Lowry...95-203, 46.8%
    Alston...113-292, 38.6%

That is a BIG difference. Lowry is a much, much better finished and he can definitely get to the basketball at least as well as Rafer, but that's really just being kind to Rafer, since I'm sure Lowry will show he's better at getting to the goal and finishing.

8. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

so how do you sign any top play without removing either Ron or Tracy? Or is that MLE player are considered top player now?

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I wonder if Tmac gets it... he's no longer popular... no one likes him anymore... and YES, it's his fault.

10. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I agree with you on this.

Oh btw, It just ended on Monday.

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

artest is a possibility to be that guy next to Yao. this is his audition. if they don't like what they see in the next few months, guys like bibby, rasheed wallace, etc become realistic possibilities.

don't forget this summer tracy becomes the biggest expiring contract in the 2010 sweepstakes, so they could easily trade him for his replacement.

to recap, they could keep mcgrady if they feel he will be healthy again, and resign artest. or keep t-mac and replace ron with bibby, andre miller, turkoglu, marion, wallace, kidd or odom types. or keep ron, but trade mcgrady this summer for another star not on an expiring deal. or replace ron in FA, but still deal t-mac to a team injecting themselves in the 2010 sweepstakes.

#91 DVauthrin, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  12. Good345

Good345 Member

I feel much better about this trade now. It looked terrible when I first saw it.

13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One other stat that I left out here was that Lowry gets to the free throw line over twice as much as Rafer (per 48: 7.2 vs. 3.3). That is pretty significant in my book.

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

6th post in 4 yrs :eek:

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm a little worried about all this Lowry defense talk. The elite PG in the West are going to get their numbers no matter who is in front of them. Lowry isn't Gary Payton in his prime.

The emphasis should have been on getting a PG who runs the offense and scores. Instead, we got Lowry who will make Chris Paul and Deron Williams have to work just a little harder when they carve up the Rockets defense and drop 25/12 on them.

My favorite part is that they got a PG who can't shoot but are bragging how they got a scrub PF that can. Talk about getting things backwards.

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Morey's proven me wrong a few times. He's made moves that didn't pan out, but he's never made moves w/ a net negative effect. I was scratching my head at first, but I'm sure we'll see positive results on the court.

17. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Well they said we were after a top player by the trade deadline. Now here comes Lowry. So you never know...

Oh wait, maybe Cook is THE ONE... :D

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

19. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Because the Grizzlies have been shopping Lowry since 2006, he's never been long for the team, and they're not going to go along with the embarrassment of starting him while the hot shot lottery pick comes off the bench?

Why doesn't anyone ever realize that, shock horror, coaches don't always make the right decisions for their teams?

20. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

If you think Lowry's a better one-on-one defender than Alston, you might be right. As for team defense, especially in our system, he won't be even close. Not for this season, anyway.