1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Square-Enix Plans To Take Over Tecmo?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I would love for them to release a new version of Tecmo Bowl for the next-gen consoles. . There is a new one coming out for DS, I will be borrowing my daughter's quite a bit when it comes out. I used to be obsessed with that game. I remember on the NES version the black guys on the Redskins were literally BLACK! lol. In high school we used to have Tecmo Bowl tournaments. I was the 10 time champion. In one game we used 15 minute quarters and I beat this guy 319-0. :D I always used the Oilers. Warren Moon, Ernest Givens, and Curtis Duncan on offense, and Sean Jones,William Fuller, and Ray Childress on defense. That was a hell of a team. Then there was Bo Jackson on the Raidas!, you couldn't catch that guy. Wow, back in the day......

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

As if you can really call it playing.

My experience with RPGs:
    turn on game [long ass cinema]
    Go talk to this person [long ass cinema]
    go talk to another person but get "attacked" on the way [somehow you're in a bizarre world where people fight in turn and you pick attacks from a drop down menu]
    win fight [long ass cinema]
    talk to person [long ass cinema]
    gouge out eyes [during another long ass cinema]

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

...out of sheer curiosity, what RPGs have you guys actually tried?

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah,

there's usually no skill involved in RPGs you just have to keep leveling up so your characters are so strong that you can't lose, plus you wander the map like you are lost in at the mall trying to find your parents at the food court.

some of the newer RPGs like Diablo are good cause they are action based.

If I want to watch some Anime, I'll rent a movie like.. FIST OF THE NORTH STAR!

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do have to say the Ninja Gaiden series has been good, but without their wierd lead guy who wears sunglasses all the time that company would be the Miami Dolphins that year Ricky decided to go on vacation to India.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, i'll admit it's been probably about a decade since i got pwned by Final Fantasy VII but it would be the definition of insanity for me to go back to a genre that i despise so much just like the guys who hate rap. I hate the whole idea behind it, sure there are some exceptions to the rule but even those exceptions would just seem okay in comparison to games i think are fun.

I'd like to keep the eye that i didn't gouge out.

7. Drexlerfan22

Hey, nice that you're self-aware about it. RPGs aren't for everyone...

...if you hate long cutscenes that much, I would suggest staying far, far away from any of the Xenosaga games. If FF7 made you gouge your eyes out, you'd jump off a building trying to play Xenosaga. :D

I mean, I liked the Xenosagas (errr... 1 & 3 anyway), but to each his own...

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

In general, this is pretty much the case, especially in the "mainstream" RPGs. I do like FF, but I don't think the games themselves are too difficult (outside of maybe some of the extra-hard optional bosses/enemies in the games). Kind of like a few other popular franchises (Mario, Ratchet, GoW to a degree, etc.), it seems like they make it easy enough so that a lot of people can enjoy the games without becoming too frustrated with it being too hard.

That said, some other RPGs do take a different approach. The Shin Megami Tensei games (or at least the ones I played) are like this. Granted, gaining levels does help, but the strategy you use in battles is far more important. Gaining 10 more levels might not help you beat the boss, but the fight could become a walk in the park if you could just come up with the right combination of skills to use in the fight. This even trickles down to the regular enemies you fight, which could easily end up killing you if you're not paying attention, regardless of what level you are. I guess when you boot up the game and have the option of playing on normal or hard, you realize things might be a little different compared to say Final Fantasy.

Of course, that doesn't contradict you said. This is more of an exception from what I experienced (SMT is pretty unique in a lot of ways actually), although I would like it if more RPGs took that approach.

It seems like more and more RPGs are going this way, including Final Fantasy (see FF12...it isn't really much different, if at all, than Diablo in that regard). It seems to be a gradual transition though. I think they're barely starting to get rid of random battles, which I don't think anyone likes. Once that's done, a bigger focus will probably go towards making more "action-oriented" battle systems...even though behind the scenes, things probably won't be much different.

Of course, I could still enjoy turned-based systems as well assuming a large emphasis is placed on strategy, as in the SMT games I mentioned earlier (Chrono Cross was another good system IIRC...you didn't even have levels in that game). But otherwise, I'd probably agree with some of the opinions here that the battle systems should have a little more action to them.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Mostly on SNES. I can remember trying to play Secret of Mana, FF, and I believe Chrono Cross. Not a big fan of point and click action.

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Secret of Mana was an Action RPG wasn't it? Still not like DMC or anything like that, but not exactly point and click from what I can remember. Although maybe I'm getting it mixed up with some other game.

11. Drexlerfan22

I loved Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger, but honestly I'm not a big fan of old-school RPGs in general. Just not that appealing to me.

Ever tried Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits? Or Okami? Check them out at least. I think you may be surprised. The Final Fantasies aren't for everyone, as I said.

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

There are also about progression tree selection, and ofcourse LOOT.