1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs/Warriors game on Monday a "don't care" for Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tree Rollins, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

With two games left, each scenario ends up with the same conclusion ... the Spurs/Warriors game doesn't matter for the Rockets.

If the Rockets go 2-0, then Houston wins the Southwest and gets a higher seed than the Spurs (regardless of the Warriors game).

If the Rockets go 1-1, and the Spurs beat New Orleans, then San Antonio wins the division and gets the higher seed (regardless of the Warriors game).

If the Rockets go 1-1, and the Spurs lose to New Orleans, then Houston wins the division and gets the higher seed (regardless of the Warriors game).

If the Rockets go 0-2, then San Antonio wins the Southwest and gets a higher seed than the Rockets (regardless of the Warriors game).

Scribo, sound right?

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

no its definitey a "care" for houston they need the spurs to lose every game possible especially after the travesty of what happened tonight in sacramento.

i want the rockets to win the division if they win by virtue of a tiebreaker, fine but i would prefer that they win it ouright

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have $200 on the Rockets finishing with a better record than the Spurs, so tonight's game stung a little.

DD

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

tonight's game was definitely pathetic, it seems like everyone knew the sot clock went off but the refs....youd think they would be looking out for that specifically...

5. ibm

ibm Member

to me that smells like a gambling problem rather than incompetence. seriously.

6. SouthMJS

SouthMJS Member

ah i wish the season ended today- match up with the blazers :cool:

7. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

Besides emotional "outright is better than tiebreaker" reasons, I mean.

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I like your faith in the team :cool:

Would have made the same bet myself if I knew any mouthy Spurs fans :p

9. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

You should have bet on the Rockets winning the SW division title. Much better odds.

10. davidghall

davidghall Member

Sure it matters. If they go 0-2, we can afford to go 1-1.

11. Pocket Rockets

you are correct because conference record tiebreaker comes after division record and thats all we have left to play....we need to win out or if hornets beat spurs we can lose only one game...

12. Pocket Rockets

even if they beat gs, they can still lose to no and we can still go 1-1

so no it doesn't matter anymore

13. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

If the Rockets go 1-1, then all that matters is if the Spurs win or lose against the Hornets.

14. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

So why are we not worried about Portland as well ? Is it because the division winner gets the higher seed ?

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

There is a good chance for that the hornets don't care the last game vs spurs. They might rest their stars.

16. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

It just would have been nice for SA to lose tonight and Houston win tomorrow to wrap it up cause winning in Dallas won't be easy.......

17. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Man I can't wait until Wednesday so all this pointless speculation ends.

18. Pocket Rockets

not necessarily...

a. if utah loses to lakers, hornets possibly still need to win that game against spurs (assuming loss to hou) to stay ahead of utah

b. if they are locked in by then, then they may want to play hou (2-1) or den (2-2). so positioning may be in their hands

19. davidghall

davidghall Member

It matters because if the Spurs lose to the Warriors AND the Hornets, we can afford a loss. If we are assuming they beat the Hornets, then no, it doesn't matter.

20. natrix964909

natrix964909 Member

FAIL!