1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spurs vs. Heat] Popovich resting starters

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Commodore, Nov 29, 2012.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You see Outlier....I'm in agreement with Pops for making a statement to the league (that's objective). Although, I'm pretty sure JVG would have suited up.

And I will damn sure say that MJ and Kobe never would have allowed any coach to tell them to take their ball and fly home vs suiting up against Lebron like Ginobody did. The fact you will not acknowledge that other than to say (Pops is top dog) means you are not willing to be objective about Ginobody is indeed a p***y for not being like MJ and Kobe to face Lebron in an away game.

#621 heypartner, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  2. Outlier

Outlier Member

That's all good, Ginobili is not an egomaniac to have to prove anything to those guys for the sake of his health. Even he knows the risks of an injury, he's been through many.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

dude is averaging 23mpg. That is Yao Ming rehab minutes.

You see...you don't follow this game like I do. Hence, you are not Objective like me. How can you be...you don't follow this game like I do to have the facts like I do.

Ginobody is resting like Yao...he didn't have to duck Lebron.

The objective comment is to say that Pops was making a statement to the league. The fact you still try to give Ginobody excuses shows that you are not Objective at all...like I am

#623 heypartner, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

I love that Pop did this. It shows he really cares for his players and thinks in the long term.

I mean, he could have had them play but then just pulled them out a few minutes into the game. Instead, he chose to make a statement and for that I admire him.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

With the way the dude gets injured all the time and how good his team is it's not a surprise he plays 23 minutes a game. Why are you acting like he's the anchor of this team? It's not like he's the leader of the Spurs like Yao was... hmmm...

6. Fefo

Fefo Member

he is calling manu "ginobody".... u know he is a 3 time nba champion, olimpic champion, euroleague champion... he was almost mvp finals on 2005 and he played with a prime time Tim duncan on that team. He is a sure call future HoF. And he calls himself objective... lol

7. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Yao wasn't 36 years old.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm in! I will even type your entire handle if that comes to pass.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

His feet were ;)

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Stern's reasons for fining the Spurs, which are the same things I have been echoing all along: sending players home was not professional.

"In the case of San Antonio, they didn't just come into town and rest healthy players, they sent a 26-year-old and a 30-year-old, plus Manu and Tim home virtually under cover of darkness ... and without notifying as our rules require for injury and illness," Stern said.

Stern also said that he doubts the players needed rest so early in the season, and that coaches have more room for such decisions later in the season.

''Maybe it's my mistake not to think that injury and illness when you're secreting someone away should also include deciding to move them out,'' Stern said. ''So in all of the circumstances, I thought that if we didn't do something this time, there would never be a reason to do it.

''(It was the Spurs') only visit to Miami, practically the first month of the season. Notifying nobody and sending home young and healthy players merited a rebuke and I did it.''

#630 t_mac1, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I believe it was the "notifying nobody" that did it, not so much the sending home itself. Even if the players weren't playing, the press were expecting them to be there and may have prepared some questions for them. Stern said from the beginning that the fine was due to the Spurs not notifying the right people about their decision in a timely manner.

12. t_mac1

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...tonio-spurs-rested-too-many-players-too-early

"I would suggest to you if we had been notified it wouldn't have happened, so maybe from their perspective they did the right thing."

That's further in the ESPN article. So even if the Spurs notified the league, they would not have allowed it. And also Stern emphasized that players who do not travel must require an injury/illness.

People may think it's a silly thing to discuss, but I completely agree with Stern on this case.

13. durvasa

Providing a link when you're quoting an article is standard procedure here.

14. durvasa

His statement is ambiguous. What is "it"? Them being allowed to send their players home, or the fine the NBA issued? The only rule referenced in the article is that teams must notify the league, opponents, and media ahead of time when sending players home. Is there a rule that a player may only be sent home if they are injured or ill? Not specified, and its unlikely such a rule would exist.

15. t_mac1

Read the rest of the comment. "So maybe from their perspective, they did the right thing." I don't think "being fined" is the right thing from the Spurs' perspective. The Spurs most likely knew they would be penalized by the league, but they did it anyways b/c they wanted their players to rest at home. So to the Spurs, sending the players home was the right thing to do, regardless of whatever penalty the league would throw at them.

I'm sure if the Spurs or any other team do it again even if they notify the league, they would still be penalized.

I don't know if if such a rule exists or not, but healthy players haven't been sent home without a legitimate excuse before. It's the first time in NBA history or the history of ANY sport.

16. durvasa

That's one interpretation.

Or, when Stern says the Spurs did "the right thing", he means that because the NBA would have allowed it if notified the Spurs didn't think they were really doing anything wrong from their perspective.

Again, the only rule referenced in the article is that a notification was required. Why even bring up lack of notification, if the Spurs weren't allowed to send the players home either way?

That's not true. It certainly has happened when a player gets suspended or there's a team suspension of the player due to conduct detrimental to the team. Or if the player has a personal issue and is given leave by the team. Or if the player is assigned to the D-league. I have never heard that the team must get permission from the league to send a player home. Have you?

17. t_mac1

But those are legitimate excuses. If those were the reasons, the Spurs wouldn't have been fined. Resting at home due to a tiring traveling schedule isn't. Stern has stated that point blank. It isn't hard to understand why the Spurs are fined.

Read his statement again.

"In the case of San Antonio, they didn't just come into town and rest healthy players, they sent a 26-year-old and a 30-year-old, plus Manu and Tim home virtually under cover of darkness ... and without notifying as our rules require for injury and illness," Stern said before watching the Hornets play the Los Angeles Lakers.

The notifying part made it worse, hence the ... His main point is made in the bolded part. They came to Miami not just to rest players, but sent them home.

Anyways, if you still insist on sending players home isn't the issue, we can disagree.

#637 t_mac1, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  18. Outlier

Outlier Member

As proven time and time again Stern has a clouded ****ed up sense of judgment (the reason why many people hate him) so to agree with him and to say that it is a disgrace to the game (your point of view) which he does not actually imply (it's more of a business thing for him) is the thing that sounds ridiculous. From a fan standpoint, when a coach has decided not to play a specific player for some reason, who cares if you see him on the bench (especially if they are on the opposing team) or not?

19. durvasa

If there must be a "legitimate" excuse first, that means the team must get permission from the league before sending a player home. Again, I've never heard that a team is obligated to do this.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If the Spurs had notified in advance, they knew that they'd get a ton of pressure to reverse course and not rest those guys. That's why they did not notify and why they physically got those players away from the rest of the team so that it would be impossible for the league to pressure them to play those guys that night. And, why they got the fine.

This seems like such an obvious, straightforward thing to me. I think some posters' Stern-hate is clouding their judgement.