1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs salary situation this summer & its implication to FA acquisitioning

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gunawanspurs, May 16, 2003.

1. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

Well, since this is an NBA forum ( in CC.net ), and some of you guys have discussed the summer of Lakers this year, i'd like to give you some information regarding the thread subject.

The Spurs WILL have enough money to get ONE MAX player + a decent one, or two pretty good player out of their caproom

To save some energy, let me quote myself from another thread

I hope those information can clear some misperception out of your inquiring minds.

Thanks. :cool:

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

First, there is no point in discussing "virtual players" because this is never going to be an issue and only serves to muddy up the water. The "virtual player" is essentially a temporary cap place holder which disapperas with each new signing (unless you figure the Spurs are going to have only 11 contracts for 2003-04).

Secondly, regarding Stephen Jackson. In order to make Jackson a restricted FA, the Spurs must submit a "qualifying" offer by June 30th. That offer as you have pointed out is for 850k. But you have left out two important details.

1) The offer is for 1 year only.

2) An under the cap team (Jazz, Cavs, Wiz, Nuggets) can make Jackson an offer which easily exceeds 850K and then the choice is Jacksons and not the Spurs.

For the sake of discussion, I will yield to a presumption of loyalty, but that may not be the case in real life.

So we have....

Duncan - 13.3m
    Rose - 4.8m
    Bowen - 3.7m
    Ginobilli - 1.6m
    Parker - .85m
    Jackson - .85M
    Total - 25.1M

Now add Kidd's $13.3m and the total is about $38.4m for 7 contracts plus Willis (and others minimums) who can be signed for later.

So your roster is

1) Kidd / Parker
    2) Jackson / Manu / Parker
    3) Bowen
    4) TD / Rose
    5) Rose / Willis

Looking at this and imagining what San Antonio can get with its remaining $4m to fill out the roster (SA will NOT get an MLE as they were under the cap), I'm not so sure this coudn't become a case of "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it".

I love Kidd's style, but that team is really weak at the C and backup PF. Don't take my word for it...just recall the point differentials in the Lakers series with and without Duncan on the floor.

3. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Kidd would be nuts to leave the Nets.

4. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

I repeat...Jason Kidd will NOT leave NJ. Unless Joumana Kidd gets a better job than the one she has in NY working for Extra/E! Entertainment, Jason is going nowhere. I know for a fact, they both love living in NJ. I had the pleasure of DJing at one of Nets private bday parties for one of the players daughters. I asked Joumana herself about Jason going to San Antonio. It's not happening!

5. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

SJackson is an Early Bird free agent. Spurs can re-sign him for either 175% of his 2002-03 salary or the NBA average salary...whichever is greater. Until the Spurs re-sign him he would count at 130% of his 2002-03 salary which would roughly be $910K total.

A max free agent's contract with the number of years of NBA experience like Kidd and JO'Neal have is 30% of the cap. So if the cap sticks at $40 mil then their next contract starts at $12 mil (not $13.3 mil) in 2003-04.

SJackson will remain a Spur. No team in the L is going to offer him more than the MCE (which the Spurs can offer per the Early Bird rules) and he has a starting spot in SA with plenty of minutes.

I'm not sure Kidd will even have an opportunity to decline an offer from SA.

The only player I am concerned about them losing this summer is Speedy Claxton.

#5 MrSpur, May 16, 2003
    Last edited: May 16, 2003
  6. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

If Kidd turned down an offer to play with the game's best player...that would be insane.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Players do things for money (SA can't quite match unless via S & T), lifestyle, family and other reasons you know. Why do you think big name FAs havn't been running to SLC or SA:p in the past. His team will also likely be returning EC champ--not like he isn't in a competitive situation either.

I will say this if I am SA I pursue Kidd way over Oneal, Miller, Kandi or some of the other names thrown around. But until the dotted line is signed I'll be skeptical that Kidd will actually move as I was of Webber's intention to really move last year.

8. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

So Duncan doesn't qualify as a "big name" free agent? Silly me.

Yeah, low taxes, mild winters, state of the art practice facility, playing with the best player in the game...awful indeed.

Spurs haven't exactly had the cap flexibility to make a run at "big name free agents" either.

9. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

You really need to hold up with the "best player in the game" business. Duncan is great, but the best? That stretch is based on ONE game (the last one).

10. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Stretch? Name one better. It's not based on the last game it's based on the last two seasons. Duncan doesn't have a current top 5 teammate like O'Neal and Bryant have.

Outside of them who else? Garnett? Let me know when he reaches the second round.

He's the back to back MVP for a reason.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

If the Spurs have Jackson's Early Bird Rights and if they make they associated qualifying offer, then that offer is equivalent to the MLE of ~ $4.5m and must be for a 2 years at a minimum.

Signing Stephen Jackson to a $4.5m contract means that if the Spurs signed Kidd, then they have the following payroll:

Duncan - 13.3m
    Rose - 4.8m
    Bowen - 3.7m
    Ginobilli - 1.6m
    Parker - .85m
    Jackson - .85 * 130% = 1.1m (cap hit pre-Kidd)
    Total - 25.4
    + Kidd @ 12m = $37.4m
    + Jackson @ MLE after Kidd signing

The Spurs will have less than $4.0m to complete the roster with 4 remaining spots. Willis is one and the 1st pick is another...2 spots to go with the 2mil.

As I said before - very weak at the power positions...and Manu, Jackson and Bowen are not even close to Kittles, Jefferson, and KMart in terms of finishing a break.

Dream on.

#11 GATER, May 16, 2003
    Last edited: May 16, 2003
  12. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

I don't think Parker would settle for the role as the 2nd fiddle at the point guard position for the Spurs. Hes too talented for that. Also, I think Parker could surpass Kidd in the future if he keeps his current rate of improvement. The spurs would be better off signing a big man to complement Duncan.

Spurs should keep their contending roster and build around that. Paker, Bowen, Ginibolli, Jackson and Duncan are their future.

13. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

As of right now, Duncan is the best player in the game. How can a team upset one of the most dominanting franchise with two of the game's supposely best players? Simple, Duncan dominated and lead his team to pass the team that everybody thought was gonna to 4peat.

14. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

So they can't find a decent big with $4 mil? How much do you think a Tyrone Hill would cost exactly? PJ Brown? Juwan Howard? They can renounce Willis and re-sign him later. They can use vet min exception contracts for some of those other spots as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see them deal out of this draft.

SJax's salary for 2002-03 is $699k not $850k.

Yeah. Weak at the power positions except for, oh, Tim Duncan. You need to dream on if you think the Nets' supporting cast is preferable to any team with Duncan on it.

15. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

GATER, again you miss my point regarding Stephen Jackson Free Agency situation. ;)

As long SJax cooperates, the Spurs could sign him up to MLE money, and LEGALLY exceed the salary cap treshold, after they spends each and every cap room penny they could use. That's the beauty of qualifying offer, give you flexibility when this situation arrives.

So, when the Spurs acquire their intended target FAs, SJax could sit nicely with qual. offer in his hand and ( to make this scenario work ) a WINK-WINK contract ready to be signed. Depended on how SJax representative and Spurs management negotiate, he would sign his new contract soon after the Spurs exhaust all the caproom they have, and start signing other FA through vet exception and league min exception.

Clear now ? :cool:

16. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

Oh, and SJax qualifying offer is worth .815 mil to be exactly, not up to 1 mil like you assumed. ;)

17. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I am not a Spurs fan at all. I am a Rockets fan. I admire Tim Duncan and have followed his career since Wake Forest. I think Duncan is the best player in the game today.

It would be a mistake if the Spurs go after Jason Kidd. Tony parker is a ery good point gurad already and fits with this team chemistry so well.

At 31 or 32 yrs old- Kidd is a big resource commitment. -Not being a Spurs fan - I hope they go after Kidd. If the Spurs could sign Jermaine Oneill- that would give them a great young big man to complement Duncan- leaving Duncan to his more effective - impact area at Power forward. As time goes on - the other two best power forwards in Webber and Garnet- though great - are not at as high a level as Duncan. Duncan is head and shoulders above everyone else.

The Spurs are so lucky to have Duncan. His best years are ahead of him.

18. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Jason Kidd would be a HUGE mistake. Tony Parker is 20, and he's playing the most difficult position in the league as if he had 10 years experience. He's going to be a STUD.

If the Spurs sign Jermaine O'Neal, it's lights out. Duncan, O'Neal, Parker and Ginobili? Forget about it. That's the beginning of a new dynasty.

I've read that O'Neal wants to stay in Indy (why, I don't know), so if the Spurs can't lure him to the Alamo City, they'll make a run at Kandi. Though he has lots of potential, he's just as likely to be a cancer than a star. For my money, Brad Miller is the better option. He's solid, does the dirty work and doesn't need the ball to be effective. Plus, he ain't a "max" guy.

But whatever the Spurs do, it'll probably be a smart move. Their front office is second to no one.

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Have people forgotten what happened in round 1 with Parker, he got obliterated on both ends. Have they also forgot he threw away the Spurs chance in game 4 and tends to make a lot of mental mistakes it tight games. Parker is a very good young PG, or an average starting PG exclusive of age, however you want to look at it--but he almost assuredly will never be as good as Jason Kidd until JK seriously starts freefalling in skill (my guess 3-4 years). There really is not one part of Parker's game that is as good or better than JK--they are completely different caliber of talents, leaders and complete players.

In short, if I am the Spurs I try my damnest to sign JK than let Parker, Manu and Jackson fight over minutes at the opposite guard spot (Manu and Jackson could also fight for 3 minutes) or consider trading Manu or Parker if they have a fit about it. This would ensure the Spurs are right there if not odds on favorites for the title while TD is healthy and JK has most of his game. I would not assume Parker, Manu, Jackson and Bowen are going to be good enough guards/ swingmen down the line because the rest of the league (especially Dallas and LAL) are not going to sit back--it isn't like the Spurs breezed through the weakest Laker team we have seen in 4 years (a missed Horry 3 from a 7th game) or the 8th seed in the West. Everyone seems to think they are going to breeze through the Mavs too, let's see. They absolutely should not stand pat with their back-court or small forward position if they can add a star there--I think that would be much better than adding a star 4 or 5 honestly.

It is amazing to me how much better players like Hudson, Parker, Manu, Jackson, Fisher, George and Fox look playing with the kind of low-post players they play with. I am pretty critical of Francis, but to think what a Francis or Kidd would do with guys like that is scary.

Finally 3 more thoughts: 1) singing your own FA does not consitute a FA acquisition, 2) W/o question Duncan is the best player right now. Whether the Spurs is the best team this year or whether Shaq can return to be the best player next year however are yet to be settled. Also, 3) JK would w/o a doubt be on a better basketball team if he signed with the Spurs. But there is a lot more to think about in that 3a) money, lifestyle and family are considered with decisions like that, 3b) if Kidd stays in the east he will have an easier time returning each year to the finals. Thus 3c) Jason's decision is very complicated and will be a tough one.