1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spring Training - The Grapefruit League

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by mlwoo, Feb 14, 2008.

1. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=3235397

Spring Training is a great time. I went last year and got to go to the historic Dodgertown and watch the 'Stros play. Dodgertown is like another universe. These people tha live at Vero Beach live for this time of year. I think it's amazing that the Dodgers have a diehard, loyal fanbase down in Florida.

I saw Roy O pitch at Osceola and went by Cocoa beach. I met Carlos Lee in an elevator and was so shocked that all I could say was, "Mr. Lee, you were my first pick in my fantasy baseball league." He said "Uh, thanks man, I'll do my best."

My dad pitched in the Astros minor leagues for five years before making the 40-man roster. He hurt his shoulder and never was able to play a real Astros game. Those are very fond memories for him, and to get to go to Cocoa Beach and see the place he stayed in and where he practiced was really awesome for me.

The Grapefruit League and Spring Traing are both full of tradition and you will never go anywhere where you will find a more knowledgeable and friendly fanbase. I cannot go this year, but just thinking about how much fun I had last year makes me love this time of year.

2. Buck Turgidson

It's pretty much a certainty that the Dodgers are moving ST to Glendale, AZ within the next couple of years.

3. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

After this Spring Training, it's happening.