1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spotify, streaming music and backup storage questions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Oct 8, 2012.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Some questions that I could probably get to on Google, but would take me a while to find out.

With regards to streaming music, is it simply better/smarter to go that route now? Supreme music quality isn't of upmost concern to me. But we definitely spend at least $10 a month on music that isn't random indie band that's only sold a few albums (and therefore might not be on spotify). We both have phones with 4G or LTE. So would streaming music be cheaper/better? If so, is Spotify the best? Can multiple people share one account? Is there an off-line mode? Any other thoughts?

And what about backup storage. Historically I've used an external hard drive. This certainly works, but I've found I'm more comfortable with that as a 2nd location for backup. Meaning, if I have a bunch of pictures and video of the kids, I want that on at least 2 things at all times, in case 1 fails, right. So, to have real backup in the sense that I want to free up space on my computer, I need 2 external hard drives, right?

So the cloud, then. I have a fair amount of data. Lots of pictures, both personal videos and digital videos we've bought, etc. My wife's Mac is pretty much full - 400 GB. Cloud options don't seem to be set up for that level of data yet. iCloud is what, $99 a year for 50GB. I found Bitcasa, which is offering unlimited storage for $10 a month, which sounds great, but it wasn't as user friendly as I wanted.

This website: http://www.top-10-online-backups.com/best-cloud-storage

shows Justcloud.com as unlimited storage for $6.95 per month. I think they make you sign a 2 year contract, though. Still, $83 a year for unlimited storage seems like a solid deal.

Anybody have any experience with Justcloud or something similar?

TIA

2. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

In regards to your first question, I would suggest you just download Spotify on your PC. You can then see exactly what their selection is and decide from there. In my experiences they have a great selection with a lot of music you probably are looking for. To me it's worth the money to be able to stream whatever, whenever.

3. JayZ750

bump... anyone?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Have you looked into Pandora? You can create your own 'stations' and stream music at no charge. With that basic plan, you may have an occasional commercial and you have a limited number of "skips", but it works fine for me.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Who are "both"?
    I believe the paid $4/month gives you "higher quality" music and no commercials, and unlimited skips. :cool: I use the free version but the ads aren't annoying.

6. JayZ750

I've used Pandora free version. Perhaps I'm using it wrong, but I want to be able to type in an Artist, get their album, and actually listen to their whole album. Not a station created off their sound. I also want to be able to listen to things even if I don't have an internet/cell connection. Spotify apparently has an "off-line" mode if you create your playlist beforehand, though I'm not sure (hence the question).

And I do find the limited skips and ads in the free version somewhat annoying.

That said, I'm looking at premium options. The ultimate goal being not to have to buy new music.

7. SwoLy-D

Grooveshark, then. :eek: No commercials between songs. You can listen to entire albums.

8. JayZ750

Me and your mom... oh!!! disss!!!!!

jk... :)

Me and the wife.

All reviews do point to Grooveshark vs. Spotify as best options. Thanks!

9. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

My issue with grooveshark is that you will create a playlist, but then someone will delete their song (or some copyright issue I guess) and the song just disappears from your playlist...and it doesn't tell you. So over time, any particular playlist just shrinks! I had the paid account last year but didn't renew it because of this incredibly annoying aspect of it. Not sure if it has changed as I haven't logged onto it in months...

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Spotify is amazing. I have saved so much money this year thanks to that. I love waking up on a Tuesday morning and adding the new releases to my 2012 playlist to listen to at work.

11. SwoLy-D

^ How do you "save" money? Do you have the regular Spotify or do you have the paid version? I'll hang up and listen. :cool:

SHE LOOK OK. :eek:

Dream Sequence, I don't think songs in there belong to any one particular user... do they? I've never had the issue you bring up. I use the regular account (Grooveshark).

12. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Swoly,
    The songs on Grooveshark are uploaded by users - which is why the same song shows up 10x - at least this is how I thought it worked. I've seen songs disappear all together, especially if it was an artist not supported by grooveshark (I think coldplay and beatles were a couple that kept getting pulled).

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

By not spending money on cds or downloads.

14. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Another +1 for spotify. 10 bucks gets you mobile streaming but also I share it with my gf using the offline mode. She gets on at home and picks all the songs she wants and then syncs it offline to her phone so she has it locally w/o interrupting my service. That alone for me is worth the 10 bucks. Teaching her how to do that was so much easier than me downloading songs and having to sync it to her phone via itunes.

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I use Spotify too. It has the option for Offline listening but I don't use it mainly because my iPhone is already filled to the brim with games. The streaming is great and has most of the songs I like to listen to. The app is not the greatest but it does the job.

16. JayZ750

Thank you. This is exactly the type of question/benefit I was curious about.

17. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

That is exactly what I do with my gf haha. You can have offline playlists for up to 3 mobile devices I think. Works out really well...

18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

spotify is great, i prefer MOG. either are great choices. if you don't care about lossless files and don't have great gear, this is basically all you need.

19. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

backup solutions are many. need more specifics to help in the least bit.

20. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I had the paid version of Grooveshark, but now use the paid version of Spotify.

Keep in mind that Grooveshark is driven by user uploads, so you may be able to find obscure artists that aren't on Spotify. But because Spotify doesn't allow user uploads, you won't have to sift through the low quality files or incomplete albums you might get on Grooveshark.