1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spotify has Apple on the run

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Apr 24, 2014.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

artists virtually get nothing from streaming sites

2. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

That will change, if stuff like iTunes dies.

They'll strong arm them, just like companies did to Netflix. It will then likely make everyone's subscription go up a few bucks a month to justify that.

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I prefer to own physical copies of the media I love so I still purchase hard cover (leather-bound) books, Blu Rays, and SACD/DVD-A/CDs. For digital music, if streaming allowed FLAC, I'd give it a try. However, there are several artists which Spotify doesn't have because they are obscure and/or long gone so I'd continue to purchase physical albums. Nevertheless, $120/year isn't bad for music.

4. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I love me some Spotify. Not only is Spotify amazing when it comes to listening to music, but it even stopped from downloading any music illegally. Spotify FTW!

I should be the spokesperson or something.

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I've read/heard that a lot of artists actually considers their albums loss leaders in a sense. Touring and other sales are where the money is at now.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

They've always made more money off concert tickets and merchandise sold there. (including albums)

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Right. I guess what I'm saying is that they're resigned to almost give their songs away now.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

For weak service providers like Sprint, using Spotify sucks. It is really slow and lags on my phone.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

artists get the same money per song as they did before digital downloads. it's the major labels, publishers, studios who can't gouge the record buying public anymore.

10. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Really? I might sign up.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Let's see what Tim cooks up.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/Spotify">@Spotify</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/Pandora">@Pandora</a> have made it impossible for songwriters to earn a living: three months streaming on Pandora, 4,175,149 plays=$114.11.</p>&mdash; Bette Midler (@BetteMidler) <a href="https://twitter.com/BetteMidler/statuses/452200886970769408">April 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Wow, they make WalMart look good.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Since this is a Spotify thread, and since there is clearly an agenda with you posting that; the initiated will note she gave specifics about Pandora and nothing of Spotify.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sounds like your phone or coverage area.

Works great for me.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Spotify is awesome man. Aux cable in the car to the Galaxy S5 running Spotify App = No need for local radio or expensive satellite radio.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

If I want to support an artist I buy tickets to their shows

I never thought musicians got more than pennies from Album sales anyway.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's easier to say that but it's a lot harder for fledgling artists to grow in this market. Harder than ever and that's with Hypem and Pandora helping with exposure. It now takes a band twice as long to become financially stable in this climate. Studios are shutting down left and right and all for what? digitally compressed garbage.

19. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

New artists aren't going to make money off the live shows either, because the labels in recent years are making them sign 360 deals or they won't get signed. That's how ****ed the music business is now.

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Speaking as someone who obsesses over eyecandy, I'll never understand audiophiles. I love music as much as the next person, I have expensive speakers (admittedly it's a sound bar), and expensive headphones. I don't have an issue with the sound quality...but to each his own.