1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sportsline offseason report card

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by huby_n1, Oct 6, 2001.

1. huby_n1

huby_n1 Member

Here's the link: http://cbs.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0,1328,4369430,00.html

Houston Rockets (45-37)
    Grade C-
    After much hemming and hawing, the "Dream" is gone. With Hakeem Olajuwon now in Toronto and Maurice Taylor out for the season with a torn Achilles' tendon, the Rockets went after Marc Jackson with the $24 million offer sheet. He won't be the answer, but he'll help. Rookie Eddie Griffin is a great talent, but still a teen-ager, and another draft pick, Terence Morris, is a talented forward who might have been a lottery pick as a junior but slid off the charts his senior year as a tentative underachiever on a great Maryland team. The key will be if Kelvin Cato can play center or would rather hang out on the injured list.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

C- ?

Remind me to never go to that website!

That's a joke!

3. ROCS4LIFE

ROCS4LIFE Member

Those guys at sportline don't know jack! It's just practice, is not the real deal yet. They will see how good the Rockets are when they start playing.

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

When you lose your franchise's greatest player, because you don't want to cough up another million bucks, you don't deserve better than a C-.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Who is this Hakeem fellow and why is he causing our offseason grade to be C-? Definitely should be a B- or a B assuming the Rockets get Marc Jackson and Mooch being back would help.

6. ricky812

ricky812 Member

Why do you people even care what sportline says. They had an opinioin and they expressed it. We all have opinions, some different. Don't cry over it, its no big deal.

7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

They have an opinion, but in my opinion, that opinion is crap.

1)Hakeem wanted out, perhaps something could've been done to keep him, but in hindsight it appears that this was a mutual parting. Perhaps you can say that it would have been best to bring him back, but I don't realistically see how that was possible.

2) Maurice Taylor's injury was bad, but I don't see how you can judge the Rockets negatively based upon it. Its not like they went and ripeed his ACL because they wanted the Medical exception.

I think the Rockets did much better than a C- this offseason, and I believe Sportsline has it all wrong.

8. Manny Ramirez

I thought it was his achilles' tendon that he tore?:confused:

I agree that Sportsline's opinion is a bunch of crap.

9. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

You are correct, it was his Achilles. Still, the point stands, its blaming the Rockets for something beyond their control.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It;s surprising that they didn't mention Glen Rice replacing Shandon Anderson.
    How we do in the season will depend a lot on the improvement of Farancis and Mobley and how well will Rice and Cato play.
    If we get Marc Jackson I would give a B.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sorry for the spelling error,I should have written Francis in the previous post.:eek:

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

You could have just edited the message.

13. chewy

chewy Member

What the hell!?!?!?! What a load of crap.

Does acquiring Rice not count as part of our offseason or are they just too dumb to know if we did acquire Rice? They didn't even mention a single thing about adding Rice and Damon Jones or that we got rid of Shandon.

14. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Straight up! Because they have limited source to base Rockets Real deal anyway. They just simply, SUCK!! to keep up to the sports world.:p

15. Jack _Hammer

Jack _Hammer Member

ZRB with all your negativity.... I have just one request. Please find a woman. ;)

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

"I won't give you a B , But I'll tear you a new A" - Nelson Muntz

17. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

How do you know I haven't got one? :)

18. Manny Ramirez

If you think this is bad, then you need to look at the Street and Smith's Pro Basketball yearbook. They have us finishing 4th in the Midwest, but they still have us with Shandon Anderson and a healthy Maurice Taylor. No Rice, no Damon Jones, and certainly no Marc Jackson. I know that they have deadlines that they have to meet, but it makes their preview of the Rockets useless to me.