1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports Radio Stations

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Big Shot Bob, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

610 needs to get Adam and Matt back together on a show. Preferably in the morning or afternoon drive, because they are by far the best combo that station has left. Rich Lord is awful. I don't get how he has kept his job for so long.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, it sounds great unless you happen to be anywhere in the greater Houston area...

;) sort of...

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

are you still having that problem? it's crystal-clear now for me. every bit as strong a signal as the others.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, I to the park and ride now so I admit that it's been a few weeks since I tried picking it up any closer than Kingwood.

Has it improved in the last month? I remember when the station first started, they kept saying it would improve and it never did, at least not in the mornings. And I'm even talking about when I was inside the loop.

5. MadMax

as far as i can tell, the problem is fixed. i could pick them up, but the signal was weak. now it's as strong as any of the other sports radio am stations.

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

OK, I've tried listening to the KGOW Morning show but it strikes me as more of an insider show at best. They are on the Internet so I can hear the stream but all they talk about is a lot of stuff I have no clue about (for example: Who the HELL is this Gilbert guy? He sounds like someone with a learning or developmental disability that they are making fun of a lot which would be in extremely poor taste). When they do talk sports it's lost in all of the chatter and I usually end up missing most of what they are saying. So far they are coming across like a Houston version of 1310 KCTK in Dallas (The Ticket) which is another sportstalk station where they do an awful lot of talking and shtick.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It is and it is.

8. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

before i finished reading your post, i was thinking... he wouldn't like the ticket. and sure enough you mentioned them.

the ticket has 7s and 8s in the arbitron ratings, while 610, the highest ranked sports radio in houston, is generally getting around 2.5 in the ratings. i'd say ktck is doing something right, and kgow is trying to follow suit.

9. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

The major problem with 1560 is not the weak signal.....it's the weak talent. It's like a bunch of frat guys sitting around a couch drinking beer and making fun of a r****d (Gilbert).

10. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Just taking a look around at Dork Radio 610s website . They need to get someone with some better Photoshop skills . This looks like it was done by a 4 year old .

[​IMG]

11. MadMax

no, that's actually a real picture. they're a bit luminescent, though. which is kinda cool. particularly if you enjoy the 1980's.

12. conquistador#11

so.. i hear that ron jeremy and other p*rn stars are going to be in houston :p

13. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Cool . I wasn't trying to start crap or anything . Just pointing out an observation I made on how bad the cut out job on Marc and Andre is . It looks like they need to learn how to feather . :)

14. MadMax

you know i was just kidding, right? i think it looks as goofy as you think it does. maybe more. :D

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

YES. I concur.

I think it sucks how the talent has been so thoroughly diluted by this radio-wars mess. But at least you know that at any given time you can tune in and SOMEONE won't be on a commercial. Usually. If my day is so godawful that I have to listen to sportsradio throughout its course, then I usually do 97.5 until 10AM, then Justice's show on 1560 till noon, noon till two is a downer because Jim Rome really is hit or miss depending on whether or not he's got clones on (it's pretty much unlistenable otherwise) and I'll listen to 790 if I can't listen to rome (which is also pretty bad but the best you got at that time), then Matt Jackson or Charlie Palillo till 5-6. Matt Jackson really needs to get Wexler back, stat.

16. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Yeah I did , its all good man . I just wanted to clarify that for anyone that may have thought that .

17. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

If you are not down with making fun of Gilbert then you are just plain wrong. You judge before you know. I have earned the right to bag on that guy.

18. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

I don't believe any person has "earned the right" to bag or exploit anybody who clearly has some issues.

Reminds me of Stern and how he exploits the less fortunate on his show. Totally classless!

[​IMG]

19. HillBoy

Well, I do listen to the TICKET but mostly to Norm Hitzges. You sort of have to listen closely for the times they actually talk about sports else you'll miss it. Sports talk sort of gets lost in all of the "bits" they do. When they do happen to talk sports, it's mostly the same superficial stuff that you can get off ESPN's website. It's like a big frat house on the air. Trouble is, guys like me get tired of listening to other guys drool over women's boobs on the radio especially when we can't see them. Of course, now that the Cowboys are 8-1, it's all Cowboys' all the time - that fake Jerry Jones' guy is everywhere. I have a theory that if you like Howard Stern's act, then you'll love this kind of radio.

20. HillBoy

Apologize in advance for the slightly off topic post:

Very progressive attitude. A good movie to see would be Charley starring Cliff Robertson. It's the movie adaptation of the book "Flowers For Algenon". It details the plight of people like Gilbert with developmental disorders or very low IQs who can still function in society on a somewhat limited basis (folks who used to be referred to as functional illiterates or r****ded people). In the story Charley Gordon undergoes an experimental operation that reverses the damage to his brain and restores his intelligence to above normal levels. Before, all of his "friends" bagged on him and played jokes and had many laughs at his expense because he didn't understand that they were laughing at him. Once he became smart, his 'friends" could not "accept" him as an equal after having looked down on him for so long. A very thoughtful movie and a very sad movie because it says a lot about our society treats people who like Gilbert are different.