1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports Radio: rocket talks vs texans talk

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tmac2k8, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly
    Is It?
    Is it a football town . .or does the Radio stations
    move the convo in that direction?

Rocket River

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Over the nation I think basketball is #2
    In Houston Baseball gets far far too much talk time

Rocket River

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're pretty off.

Basketball is a DISTANT third in terms of the national interest. Baseball is firmly #2.... and both are waaaay behind the NFL at #1.

College sports probably fits in between the NFL and baseball... but it never gets considered as one of the "big 3", even though more time/resources is devoted to covering it than either the NBA or baseball.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Agreed - the NBA is nowhere near the NFL or baseball in this country

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

To survive Talk Radio must follow the numbers and the numbers say footballfootballfootball. The NFL Draft is probably the #1 spring event alongside Opening Day (of the baseball season).

6. msn

msn Member

I generally agree, but March Madness is pretty big, too.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

True. (Picking a nit) I hadn't considered MM but had I I would have labeled it pre-spring, culmination of a winter season.

Hockey is a cult-status sport IMHO but NBA is definitely mainstream, yet less so than football and baseball (in most MLB cities).

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The sad fact is that most people outside this bbs really don't care about the Rockets until they get out of the 1st round. Something they haven't done in a decade.

Most of my friends are sports fans but I'm the only hardcore Rockets fan in the bunch. They love baseball and football but have a very casual attitude about the Rockets and the NBA in general.

9. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

NFL talk is king in the sports radio market.

MLB is second, and I would put CFB (BCS) talk ahead of NBA coverage

10. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Same here, I have several friends who are only major fans come play off time. I invited one over the other day to watch the rockets game and he wouldn't stop asking me off topic questions and talking about stuff that was not related to the game, at one point I regretted inviting him over. I have a few others who go crazy during the playoffs and show up on time to watch all the games, but at this time, only thing they know about the rockets is that we got ron artest and thats about it.

11. msn

msn Member

All four (I'm including the NHL) have done things to alienate their fanbase in the last twenty years, MLB twice even, but the NBA and NHL haven't recovered as well as the other two.

12. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Honestly, I think I wouldn't have a problem with it if the Oilers were still our football team, back then I liked them just as much as the Rockets. I just cannot get into Texans football though for some reason, I have tried, I wish I liked the Texans more because if I did it would make my drive time to work more enjoying since that's all they talk about on the airwaves!

13. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I could not agree with this more! Everything you said is completely true, especially your comment about Matt Jackson. I refuse to listen to 610 in the morning because I know all I will hear about is football. I realize there is more football than basketball talk in Houston, but when its portioned out in the 98% football/2% everything else range, something is wrong. I wish they would do something about Marc and Andre, maybe fire Andre and put Adam in his place permanently.

Pugs

14. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I feel your pain! I actually like Andre though as a person, he seems like a real nice guy, but they need to spread out the conversation a little i'm not asking for more rocket talk than texans, i'm just asking that they at least acknowledge the rockets a little more. It's like, texans talk for 45 minutes, than it's like "and the rockets had a great game yesterday beating the nuggets, they are playing great..but back to the texans, etc etc" it's pathetic...Adam Clanton in the afternoon doesn't talk about the Rockets 98% of the time like that.