1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Radio] Jim Rome no longer aired in "H-Town"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kam, Dec 28, 2011.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm surprised by all the Rome hate -- I only listen to his show every once in a while, but I always enjoy it.

2. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Technically he probably could. But I'm sure Rome would just gloss over that since he's not in a Houston market anymore so he's got no real reason to have Sean on. And having Sean on would open the door to letting Travis on air which isn't ever going to happen.

My guess is no. But even if Jim does invite Sean on... I doubt Sean would take him up on the offer nowadays.

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Haven't listened to Rome in a decade, honestly didn't know he was still on in Houston.

I quite like listening to Matt Thomas, I'm surprised so many don't. His story today about when the Rockets won the championship was pretty amusing.

For the Big Show, I don't dislike Zierlein but his not being there this morning reminded me that I like the show better without him.

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm with the majority of you guys on this one. There was a time when I listened to Rome almost daily, but I probably haven't listened for more than 30 minutes total in the last two or three years.

Rome was a trail blazer in sports radio, but now there are so many clones (pun intended) of his style that there's nothing unique about his show.

5. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

The best shows of Jim were the ones where the sklars and jay mohr subbed in.

6. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

Rome vs. Everett

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Avoided the show like the plague when skip bayless or Jason Whitlock hosted the show.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I still listen to Rome, but I'll admit that I find myself becoming more annoyed with the repetitive sound effects. It does get old, but I still find his show entertaining most of the time.

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Just found out about Rome getting the boot from 610 today via his Twitter.

I liked listening to Rome if the topic had some interest to me (usually just MLB/NFL/NBA); clone-on-clone crime could be amusing too. Some of his rants on random things were good, as well. He'd be my go-to station when driving around at lunchtime unless he was talking about something boring (IMO), and then I'd turn to Matt Thomas on 790.

Now it looks like I have absolutely no reason to ever put my radio on 610 except for Texans and Rockets games. The Big Show, Matt Thomas, and Charlie Palilo all are superior to any show 610 has.

11. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

12. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

The Blitz on 97.5 is a much better listen than Romey. Fred Fauer isn't my favorite, but AJ Hoffman shares my sarcastic sense of humor. Check them out, 12-2PM, if you haven't ever and are searching the airwaves with Rome withdrawals.

Farewell Jim Rome, I've been sick of you for 5 years.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Great News!

Jim Rome sucks period.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Jesus, loved me some Arnie Spanier; despite the complete and utter lack of sports commentary. He and Dustin Rhodes remind me of Ron Bennington and East Side Dave. And then Bob Kemp at one in the morning: serious and surly enough to make callers "behave."

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I called home drunk during game 1 of the 98 finals and asked him how much he'd take to beat up Papa Joe Chevalier. He said a cheeseburger. :)

R.I.P. Papa Joe.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I get the feeling they waiting on THE MIGHTY GWEN's contract to end
    so they can finally send him on his way . . . .

Then It will probably be something like 2 hours of lance
    and 3 hours of Matt and Adam . . . or something

Rocket River

17. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Agree with the guy up there. 610 is probably the worst sports station that I have heard. Jim Rome was getting old but at least it was something different. Texans and Rockets games are the only reason to listen to it for sure. They need to revamp the morning and afternoon lineups. They state the obvious and if it is not something they have just researched for the show that day, then they come across pretty clueless. I remember them getting asked about FIBA championships and they had no clue what that is and just dismissed it as no one cares anyway.....duh....NBA players play in it!!! SCOLA!

18. HPD

HPD Member

dude had writers...................anyone could read out the "Shticks" he had

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, he was a comedian, not a sports guy. But... he did have great guests. You cant complain about that.

20. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

So who used to be on 610 around the lunchtime drive BEFORE Rome started? Dude hated Notre Dame and the Cowboys, thats all I can recall. And he was definitely from the NE US.