1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports] Matchups That Have Never Happened

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Jan 15, 2008.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Find matchups that have never happened between players, coaches, or teams that played in the same period or era. But never or rarely played each other.

Any sport:

1998 Chicago Bulls (Michael Jordan) vs. 1999 San Antonio Spurs (Tim Duncan) .

What if the Bulls came back another year and ran into S.A. Spurs in the NBA Finals? Would the TD Spurs been the final nail in the coffin for the Bulls?

2000 Baltimore Ravens vs. 1999-2001 St. Louis Rams

One of the greatest defenses in NFL history vs. One of the Greatest Offenses in NFL History.

92-93 San Francisco 49ers (led by Montana) vs. 1992-1993 Dallas Cowboys

Would there have been different outcome, if the 9ers were lead by Montana, instead of Young.

Atlanta Falcons (with Michael Vick) vs. 2002 -2005 New England Patriots (Bill Belichick)

It was kind fun to watch how coaches prepared for tried to stop Vick from running all over the place. I don't think any coach ever really came up with strategy to conistently stop him from doing that unless they had great front 7, even then. He routinely get 100 yards against defenses like Bucs and Eagles. The one game that were supposed to face each back in October 05, Vick is out with an injury. I guess Belichick didn't have to go as far into his playbook with Matt Schaub. I think at the time the Pats had depleted LB core and really never speedy LBs. Belchick has had history of taking away the other teams best player, how would he have stopped the league's best rushing QB (one of league's fastest players) and at the time one of hardest opposing players to plan for.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How can you miss this:

1994, 1995 Houston Rockets vs Chicago Bulls

If only Michael Jordan realized he couldn't have made any pro sports other than basketball.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

07 Gators vs 06 Longhorns
    04 Trojans vs 04 Auburn Tigers (they split the title that year in my book)
    83 Cougars vs 67 UCLA (bball duh)

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Karl Malone, John Stockton vs. Dikembe's Elbows

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

2004 USC Trojans vs 2001 Miami Hurricanes
    Both teams had winning streaks of more than 30 games.

1996 Chicago Bulls vs 2000 Los Angeles Lakers
    Would be nice to see Kobe against Jordan, dynasty vs dynasty

6. Sextuple Double

07 Trojans vs 07 Bulldogs (stupid Big Ten)

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

1992 Super Bowl

Run and Shoot Houston Oilers vs. Dallas Cowboys

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

All Florida Super "Orange" Bowl NFL Style

1999 Jacksonville Jaguars (14-2) vs. 1999 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (11-5)

The Y2K Scoreboard Crash: Greatest Offenses of the New Millenium

1999-2001 St. Louis Rams vs. 2007 New England Patriots

The "Old" circa 2002 Sacramento Kings (Adelman and Webber) vs. The "New" circa 2005 Dallas Mavericks (Nowitkzki and Avery)

2005 Detroit Pistons (the league's best defense) vs. 2005 Phoenix Suns (the league's greatest offense) for NBA Championship

The wet dream NBA championship for big media outlets:

1990 Los Angeles Lakers vs. 1990 New York Knicks
    2000 Los Angeles Lakers vs. 2000 New York Knicks

- the team that really defined "ugly basketball vs. "Showtime"
    - Pat vs. his old squad, JVG vs. Phil Jackson
    - "possibly advertised as team of 80s vs. the team of 90s, the Bulls weren't champions, yet. A New York was becoming one of the better teams in the East.
    - Heavily Favorite, Lakers (Magic's Showtime or Shaq-Kobe) vs. the New York underdogs (Riley & his new squad, or the 7th seeded JVG squad)

1983 Super Bowl, King of California

Los Angeles Raiders vs. San Francisco 49ers

1993 Super Bowl, Young vs. Montana for the Super Bowl.

Kansas City Chiefs vs. San Francisco 49ers

Steffi Grafi (circa 95-97) vs. Serena Williams (circa 00)

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

d@mn Oilers, blowing a 30 point league. Maybe they could put up a better fight than the Bills did.

10. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

1997 Michigan vs 1997 Nebraska so Michigan can get back the half of the title that the coaches gave the retiring Osborne.

11. ImmortalD24

ImmortalD24 Member

http://whatifsports.com/NBA/boxscore.asp?GameID=101774&nomenu=1&teamfee=-1

1996-97 Chicago Bulls record 69 - 13 (0.841) vs 1999-00 Los Angeles Lakers 67 - 15 (0.817)

The Bulls would get destroyed because they have no answer for a prime Shaq and a young Kobe matches up really well with the much older Jordan.. don't forget that the 00 Lakers were 15-1 in the playoffs having lost a single game in the finals..

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Olajuwon vs Shaq PPV 1996
    Whatever happened to that?

Ali vs Chamberlain too

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think that happened if I'm not mistaken. They ended up eating double deckers and riding a bike

14. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

rofl, i remember that commercial.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JnyWar8uOTI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JnyWar8uOTI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

15. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

1997 NBA Finals - Chicago Bulls vs. Houston Rockets

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Holy crap I forgot how amazing that commercial was. Way ahead of its time.

17. AXG

AXG Member

I would have loved to see that one. I think Houston matched up better against Chicago than the Jazz.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

That Jordan would own a young Kobe. This isn't Washing Wizards Jordan we are talking about. This was an older, but much smarter MJ. Bulls also had much better role players.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Plus, I think the Bulls would mainly put Pippen on Kobe, and let MJ, Harper, and Brown guard him at other times.

I think Bulls win mainly, because they had much better defense the Lakers did.

I think it's crazy to believe, but I think the Spurs would present more problems for the Bulls than the Lakers. Even with Shaq and Kobe, the Bulls could slow everyone else down and just let Shaq do his damage.

With Spurs, especially if it's the 2003, the Spurs with David Robinson and Tim Duncan and the younger Ginobili and Parker would create alot of match-up problems. And other role players, like Stephen Jackson and Speedy Claxton. Might make it long series. The Lakers for the most part had great starters that carried them through the playoffs, but Spurs have always had deeper roster. The one thing that I think was essential to beating the Bulls.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think this would be another classic right here. Most people would probably figure the Pats would win easily, since they beat the Rams in 2002. But, remember, this is not the same defense that beat the Rams. I think they still win, if the play Martz's Rams, but I think if the Rams are being coached by Vermeil. The game will be really close.

I think the cast of Bruce/Holt/Hakim/Faulk/Proehl/Conwell slightly edges out Moss/Welker/Stallworth/Graham/Gaffney.

Mauroney is decent back, but Faulk is an all time great. If Martz wouldn't have been idiot, Faulk could've won them another Super Bowl. Faulk was a gamebreaker everywhere on the field, running basic plays, screens, or downfield passing plays.

I believe this is one team Belichick would actually try to run ball control against not get in high-flying circus match. The Rams in that Super Bowl did put up over 400 yards of total offense.

Most would assume that Brady is a superior QB than Warner, he is right now. But Warner at the time was like a poor man's Marino, he could make throws all over the field.

The defenses are about even, the 1999 and 2001 versions were pretty good ...while the 2000 was the worst in the league.