1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports & Marketing

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Ehsan, May 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I'm finishing up a research on sports marketing and I'm looking for some good ideas on social behavior, ideas to promote a sport... Some ideas I'm thinking about:

Assume you're in a country where the most popular sport is soccer. However, only 2 of the 15-team league teams remotely fill up a stadium. There's just not very much support. However, you know for a fact that people are interested because EVERYONE watches on tv.... Are these ideas practical:

- Blackout rule. I know American Sports have enforced them. I don't want to know if you're pissed about it, I want to know if it has worked in terms of filling the seats.

- To stimulate more interest among non-UAE nationals (united arab emirates), propose a holiday (one day) for the city that wins the league.

Keep in mind: this city is desperate to improve attendance across all sports and UAE nationals are only 15% of the population.

2. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

To me it is a price control issue. People WILL go to something they are interested in if they can afford it. Lower the ticket prices until you have capacity crowds. I don't care if it is $3 US per ticket. Drop 'em until the fannies are in the seats. Then bring the prices up until you fill only 90% of the stadium and leave them there while you work on your product and match-day presentation. Hone that until you are full again and raise the prices until your stadium is only at 90%..

Repeat.

3. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

5th highest GDP in the WORLD. I've studied income, it's not the problem. This is a rich country.

I'm thinking right now that maybe the route to take is use positioning to build high-tech stadiums, never-before-seen stuff... Basically, absuing the luxury suite way of doing things. Build a whole bunch of luxury boxes, a crazy proportion, and see how that works. Noise is not something to worry about right now. Right now they PAY people to go watch soccer games here.

It's laziness and a bit of snobiness. The country is world-class, but the stadiums are nothing close to world-class. Factor in that the weather is horrible most of the time. Retractable roof, pricey and WAY more luxury boxes may be smarter.

4. conquistador#11

it would also depend which country/continent we are talking about..In Latin America,4 owners own most of the league :( corruption in soccer is High

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

yea, those luxury suites sure are a hot item at Toyota Center.

;)

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

For the stadium, throw in giveaways, a nice kids' area, free wi-fi, restaurants, and a "Red Rowdies"-like section. A section (up top) of really cheap tickets would help, too.

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Do people watch local soccer on tv or are they watching European soccer. Seems like that's the case in a lot of Asian countries. Interest is high in soccer but never in the local leagues.

But you basically said what I was going to say. Stadiums have to be a huge issue. It's the desert after all. Who in their right mind would go watch a soccer game in that heat.