1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News: Sorry guys, Yao isn't going anywhere

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 13, 2004.

1. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Les is definitely a money oriented owner, I can't blame him, he is a business man, and the only reason he run the team is to make money. Hakeem was definitely been low-balled by Les, what else can made him leave the city he loved and go to another team that have a worse wining record than the Rockets? Les have done some pretty sh!tty things in the past, but backstab Rudy is his all time low. If we can get a owner like Jerry Buss or Mark Cuban without moving the team to another city, I won't even blink.

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I mean it's not like Buss or Cuban ever pushed anybody out or lost guys because of lowballed offers.

3. pangzi

pangzi Member

I am not sure if the reasons stated in the article stand. If only for personal reasons, Yao may actually prefer New York City since the city is more assemble of the city of Shanghai and there are more than a million chinese in the Greater New York area, and the endorsement in NYC is going to be so much more than he can get in Houston.

However, Yao might stay in houston for these two reasons:

1. His loyalty to his original NBA team.

2. Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) may ask him to stay in Houstom because they can get the most amount of money from Yao's contract with Houston compared to with any other teams.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

What is it with the loyalty BS. Im sure Yao says that houston is his heart and all this other sweetning crap. BUt how is one to know that he int just a smart man and just appeasing all of us. Most players usually are loyal to the team they are playing with. Doesnt mean they wouldnt leave given the chance for more money.

But all said and done. HAHA YAO's STAYIN Biatches.

5. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Because it's in his culture, "honor" and "loyalty". Well, that's what we are told. It's funny though cause that is also the reason he will leave. Rockets let go of Rudy, Moochie, Steve, Cato and Cat, people he didn't like his first season (maybe 2nd too) but when they left he became so shock that he may leave us because of the lack of honor and loyalty.

6. pangzi

pangzi Member

I disagree. I think a large percentage of Chinese Americans think themself Chinese. More interestingly China considers the foreign born Chinese as Chinese. There was a article from NY times talked about the difference between Japan and China discussed this.

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Yep, you can spin it to whichever side you're supporting. The fact of the matter it comes down to this:

1. The Rox can pay Yao the most money.

2. The Rox will be able to negotiate with Yao a full 2 years before any other team.

3. Yao seems like he actually likes the organization. And has never indicated that he wants to leave.

These 3 reasons alone add up to a 99.9% chance of signing Yao to a longterm extention next year. Everything else is gravy.

8. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    :D Right here

9. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

exactly

10. pangzi

pangzi Member

I think Houston has the 4th largest chinese population in the US behind Bay Area, NY and LA.

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Or he could just chill out in Shanghai... back in China. The country where he lives EVERY SUMMER.

As for endorsements, if you check out the autobiography thread, Yao has TURNED DOWN more ads, magazine covers and the like. He already has more money than God; it's his free time personal space that matter to Yao, because those are rare commodities to the guy.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't know if Hakeem was being low-balled or not but I do think he wanted quite a lot of money in the twilight of his career. He could still show flashes of his brilliance but he couldn't be consistent because of his age and injuries.
    I hated to see him go but it was unfortunate to see him struggle and not complete his contract in Toronto.

13. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Right. But m_cable's point was why would Yao want to go to the Bay Area, LA or NY when he has enough attention (mobbed) right here in Houston?

I think the last thing Yao would want would be another million fans mobbing him (like a God). He's not an attention hog.

14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Give me the same article (biography) about all the other 29 owners in the N.B.A. and then we'd have room for discussion. Not once is Les Alexander represented in this article, and therefore it is not accurate nor a fair depiction.

I like Captain Crunch, so should I stop eating it because the CEO of Quaker Oats isn't loyal to his employees? Screw that- the Captain stays!

15. edc

edc Contributing Member

Loyalty is a two way street. If Mr. Alexander cannot give it to his employees, he cannot expect it from them (including the on-court talent).

Incidentally:

It is seven years later. Funny how that "time being" just keeps on getting longer and longer...

16. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

As a subcontract worker, no one is loyal to me. If they have the business, they send work. If they don't, they don't. Simple as that. Working in the careers field, I can tell you right now that anyone who still thinks companies have to be loyal to their employees is seriously delusional. Just as employees have the right to leave anytime they want, so do employers have the right to let go anyone they wish, anytime. It's a two-way street. Mr. Alexander has absolutely no need to be loyal to any employee. Now, if we're talking about Calvin Murphy or Rudy T, that falls under the category of not being a smart business decision that can cause fans to not renew season tickets and such. But hourly employees? Please! Vendors? Please!

If you have a problem with an employer not being loyal to its employees or vendors, then I suggest you never set foot inside another Wal-Mart ever again.