1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News: Sorry guys, Yao isn't going anywhere

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 13, 2004.

1. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

I just wish Yao was drafted by the San Antonio Spurs, cause I think that is a place where the management respect stars who are on the twilight of their career. The Admiral got the chance to retire his career there. but what happened to the Dream? He was traded away by the Rockets when he was getting old. I am afraid that the same thing will happen to Yao again.
    "Sorry, now you are 32, and you are not wanted! "

Probably Yao will not be able to retire his career in Houston. The Rockets are not like the Spurs. sad...

2. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

"but what happened to the Dream? He was traded away by the Rockets when he was getting old. I am afraid that the same thing will happen to Yao again."

I hate to say this, but i believe it was Hakeem who forced the trade to Toronto, since the rockets got close to nothing in return (draft picks). The Rockets DID make an offer to Hakeem to stay in Houston, but he wanted too much money to stay and management couldn't pay him that.

I doubt Yao will try to force too much money out of anyone, but who knows.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

if you feel like this, why are you here?
    I think you didn't even know the rockets when Dream got traded. You have no idea what you are talking about.
    if you like the spurs so much go to a spurs forum

4. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

When a franchise player is getting old, the management just trade him for some potential stars. Maybe this is the smart way to do business.
    But clearly San Antonio didn't know.
    Spurs are dumb.:p

#64 bob718, Sep 14, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

It was Hakeem who chose to move on, not vice versa. Get that through your thick head spur fan.

6. sgm

sgm Member

It all depends on T-mac.

7. amed

amed Contributing Member

DAMN, Hope this guy is wrong.

8. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I love when fringe fans rewrite history.

9. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

[sarcasm]Shocking[/sarcasm]

Well, now that Clutch confirmed it, hopefully all those annoying "OMG Yao's gonna go to LA/GS/insert random team name here" people would stop.

10. vegaspauli

vegaspauli Member

Yao will likely stay because, unlike other so-called "stars," he has a sense of loyalty: The Rox certainly showed faith & loyalty to a player MANY were saying was going to be a bust. He knows the Rox have cooperated with him so he could fulfill his CBA obligations. He will show loyalty where loyalty (and patience) has been shown to him. I woln't go into how the Lakers treat thier players (Shaq as the latest example) or how the Warriors just suck, but Yao is foreign, not dumb.

11. edc

edc Contributing Member

...unlike a certain owner...

12. MFW2310

What the hell? :rolleyes:

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

14. edc

edc Contributing Member

15. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Like clockwork...the ritualistic bashing of JVG by edc. :rolleyes:

16. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Does your acronym stand for Every Dumb Comment? Because it seems like each time you say something, this is the result. How is Alexander not a loyal owner? Oh, he's traded players and let go of coaches. Gee, I'm glad the rest of the sports world doesn't follow suit. I'm glad other teams' coaches don't get fired and their players don't get traded.

Boob.

17. edc

edc Contributing Member

Mr. Alexander has no loyalty to anyone or anything. He has been openly antagonistic toware that which was part of the organization before his tenure as owner. The mistreatment of one lifetime employee is only the tip of the iceberg. The trade of SF and CM don't count at all. That was just business.

What matters is the way he treats his employees. Other than on the talent side, professional sports organizations are cheap. No doubt about it. However, Les can give bottom line Bud a run for his money.

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/1997-02-13/feature2.html

That doesn't even mention the countless number of times Les tried to rid the organization of Calvin Murphy. Is he happy that he doesn't have to deal with that anymore?

All that without even mentioning the "move the Rockets" fiasco, or his refusal to put "Houston" on the unis. If we could trade Le$ for Mark Cuban, I'd do it in two seconds flat.

18. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

The biggest reason Yao will stay is his loyalty, just as long as the Rockets don't chop off his hand or treat him like dirt, he is a lock to resign.

Stuart

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This has not been proven- I believe Hakeem claimed to have been insulted by the Rockets' low-ball offer.

20. MFW2310

I love all this claim about the Red Commie Chinese government which runs every aspect of Yao's life like a big brother. Would sure make for a great novel for conspiracy theorists.

1. The Chinese government DOESN'T get a portion of Yao's salary, the CBA and his former team does. They CANNOT run Yao's life and can't force him to do anything unless he refuses to play for the NT, which he won't.

2. (I can't believe I have to repeat this) The China's GDP will be ~1.8 trillion USD this year. They collected 226 billion USD in TAXES last year (excluding all the business the government does on the side) with more expected this year. What Yao earns (including his endorsement deals) IS POCKET CHANGE. With all the effort the likes of LA/GS fans and some morons here claim they spend on Yao, it would be MUCH easier to re-organize their bad tax revenue system (which as of right now allows a lot of tax evasion, especially by foreign companies). That'll bring their tax revenue to ~400 billion USD. Only idiots would suggest they would spend all the efforts tracking Yao's income.

3. They draw a part of his salary, NOT his total income. It is completely irrelevant where Yao plays and IF they care about Yao's pocket change at all, they'd want him to play in Houston because WE CAN PAY HIM MORE. If the Chinese government really DOES care about Yao's meagre income (by their standards), if they DO collect a percentage of his endorsement AND IF they really are the all powerful big brothers, the first thing they would have done is made sure Yao signed with Nike (which offered 3 times more money) instead of Reebok AND made sure Yao doesn't turn down any endorsement deals like he does.

4. Clutch, please make this post into a sticky. I'm tired of explaining again and again to the trolls and idiots.