1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News: Sorry guys, Yao isn't going anywhere

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Man, why the @#%* would Yao sign with either the Clippers or Golden State? At least the Chinese National Team has a chance to improve. A guy as smart as Yao wouldn't touch either of them with a 10 foot chop stick.

As far as the Lakers, if Kobe couldn't play with Shaq, how would he play with Yao? You might argue that Kobe and T-Mac both want shots, but T-Mac is coming here because he wants to play with a big man, whereas Kobe just ran off the best big man in the game.

2. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I know, I just thought about it and came back to edit it.

#42 Blatz, Sep 13, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  3. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Was this the reason why Clutch BBS went down for the last half hour ? :confused:

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Half hour? I was trying to get back on clutchbbs for a 4 hour stretch today. I was able to get a lot of work done today. :D I mean. :(

And BTW Blatz, don't post incendiary stuff from other message boards. Nothing good can come of that.

5. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

I think it was me who brought up point #2.

Addendum to point #3 - other than the Rockets, the Dallas Mavericks are the only team that has as good relations with the Chinese Basketball Association as the Rockets have, additionally the Rockets have the best relations with the city of Shanghai and the Shanghai Sharks.

I know the team has spent a lot of time and money hosting various vice-mayors and assorted diginataries from Shanghai and the CBA here in Houston - even going as far as to send their Chinese speaking employees out to many many dinners, tours and suite nights hosting the delegations.

Honestly, this won't really matter though - Yao has shown that he's becoming his own man with regards to decision making about his life and his career (well his own man, plus Erik Zhang and Bill Duffy) - but the CBA certainly won't have any opinion favoring Golden State or Los Angeles over the Rockets.

6. kevin8494

kevin8494 Member

Can anybody post links of Fakers and GS boards here?

7. Actsao

Actsao Contributing Member

It seems that CD is a KEY in retaining Yao in Houston, what happen if Houston lost CD to LA Clippers other some other teams?:eek:

8. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Ahhhhhhhh...so the master plan is first to pry CD away from us and then use him to lure Yao to LA. :eek:

#48 RocketForever, Sep 13, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  9. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

The Lakers did get Rudy to leave us. :eek:

CD is step two. :)

10. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Asian americans have about as much in common with Chinese from China as African-Americans have with Africans from Africa, only an idiot would say that Dikembe chooses his city of choice based on its Black population. Can we finally agree from now on that this argument is based on nothing more than ignorance and lofty generalizations?

Yao is here to stay provided that Houston doesn't cheap out on his contract, which I doubt they will.

11. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

IIRC, it has been been mentioned before that Rudy is like a father figure to Yao. If the Lakers can somehow get CD who is like a grandfather to him as Deveney says, we are doomed. Now the plan of the Lakers starts to unfold. My source says it's code name is 'family reunion'. :mad:

12. m_cable

Screw that. It's time to pull out the big guns and get Yao's real father on board. Yup, it's time we give George Ming a job in the front office. It's the only way. Do it CD... err Les.

13. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

Well if you followed the board closely you'd realize that his family name is Yao and so we'd need to give Yao George a job...

14. m_cable

And if you followed the board closer you'd realize that George Ming is Yao's dad. For real.

Maybe maybe no.

15. fakefan

fakefan Member

Well first of all, if his name is George, it has to be George Yao, last name comes first in Chinese.

16. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Alright! Thanks Clutch. I'll drink to that! Rudy can you pass the beer bottle next to you!:D

17. m_cable

What if we make it "Mang" instead. George Mang, aka Yao's dad.

P.S. It's just a joke, Silly.

18. HoustonForever

The Rockets should ink Yao Ming and T-Mac to max deals ASAP. ;)

19. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

All of the jokes about Yao's father remind me of one more salient point I was going to type earlier, but forgot to.

If there is anyone who is more influential on Yao's decision making than Ye Li, the CBA, Erik Zhang, CD, Jeff Van Gundy and Colin Pine - it's obviously his parents.

Houston has been very lucky in that regard as one of Big Yao's (Yao Ming's father) old basketball teammates from his Shanghai days has been living here in Houston for about the last 20-25 years.

I think Mr. and Mrs. Yao might be putting down as many roots as their son does here - no this won't be their permanent home, but it'll be a lot harder to leave Houston and find all new friends in another town for Yao's parents - and THAT may have as much influence on Yao Ming as anything.

20. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

That was my point to put Yao first... and don't Chinese names usually consist of three characters? Does Yao Ming have a third character? If not I think that opens up the possibility to have a thread pick the third character....