1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News: Francis wants Wilcox

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jun 24, 2002.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! So, that's why Steve doesn't want Ming. Yeah Steve, Wilcox is going to help us start winning NOW(!!!), as you like to put it. He's seen as one of the biggest projects in the entire draft! I must admit that I think Wilcox can turn a non-running team into a running team, which is why I always had him in mind early on, thinking we were going to end up with the fifth or sixth pick. But we lucked out!!! So Steve just wants to have his Maryland buddy on the team, ay? And here I thought it was really about him wanting to win. I've always been a huge Steve supporter. I defended him the entire season, but now I'm losing more and more respect everyday. (by the way, this is assuming the excerpt above is true, which it very well may not be)

I must say, the way Wilcox runs the floor is incredible...but I think saying he'll redefine the postion is going just a tad to far.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Williams? Williams who? Eventhough I haven't heard anything, I'm sure you could add Juan Dixon and Lonny Baxter to that list.

3. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Bingo! DCkid. Francis’ credibility is dropping like a rock. This guy doesn’t deserve to be Rocket.

Francis was afraid to come to Canada because he thought it would be too different for him. He complained that it rained too much, and that God told him not to go, and that he wanted to be near his grandma, etc. ad nauseam. Now he’s making feeble excuses to avoid drafting a Chinese centre who is obviously the best player in the draft.

It’s starting to look like Francis truly is the ignorant bigot he appeared to be several years ago.

4. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Francis wants Chris Wilcox?

Many people want many things. Heck, our lives are sometimes dictated by wants,likes, dislikes.

I want Shaq. I want Kobe. I want superman.

But consider the difference between wanting, choosing, and deciding.

Wants usually come from whims, and constantly change. I want chocolate now, later I may want vanilla.

Making a choice, meanwhile, means considering all options and finally arriving at a conclusion which option to take.

To make a decision, meanwhile, means to eliminate the other possibilities(from the french decidere-to eliminate the other), When a boxing match is very close, sometimes a split decision is made. Judges decide against one boxer for another.

Wanting though is normal, and human.

But ultimately, if we want order in our lives, we've got to make choices. We sometimes have to decide.

5. mav3434

mav3434 Member

"How impressive was Chris Wilcox in his workout in Phoenix last week? Well, Maryland alum and fellow Peak Management client Steve Francis has been whispering sweet Wilcox-ian nothings into the ears of Rockets' front office honchos."

Seriously, this doesn't even make sense. Does this quote mean that Francis was at the workout in Phoenix in which case he was impressed? What the hell was he doing there? Is He the Rockets new scout for the Phoenix area? Or that Peak Management is pressuring him to pump up Wilcox's value? Or that Gary Williams is psychokinetically influencing the Rox' draft day strategy?

It looks to me like a deduction strung together from a bunch of coincidental facts, (same U, same agent, SF's dislike for Ming), rather than anything concrete. Does anybody truly believe the rox would take Wilcox as 1? They would have to be "on vicodin" or taking Taylor's glaucoma medication. I d on't even think Steve would do that. If he really wants "a proven player" as alleged, why would he want Wilcox? Who knew who he was before the NCAA tourney this year?

I am not questioning Deveney as a journalist, I'm sure he has a source, but it looks like he's conncting the dots rather than reporting anything.

I wouldn't waste my time overreacting to this story with a stream of anti-steve invective, although I guess I just wasted 5 minutes anyway.

#25 mav3434, Jun 24, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2002
  6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Now you're just taking comments made about Francis and twisting it around to rip the guy. Francis never said he wanted Wilcox #1, the article itself SAID that they would like the Rockets to take Wilcox IF they trade down.

7. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Hey, with Wilcox leading the break and Steve and Mobley on the wings, it's all over.

:rolleyes:

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

I do remember Steve commenting after the Rockets won the lottery that he had a player in mind that he wanted the Rockets to draft. Wilcox is probably that player.

9. shouldgetodom

shouldgetodom Member

I guess no ones thought of the fact we could draft Wagner at 6th and trade him to the clipps for odom.

Also,its safe to assume Rudy wants nachbr,if we chose wilcox over nachbar then Steve is bosing Rudy around ,not vice versa like its supposed to be.If we get Wilcox for ANY reason I wont get season tickets.Hell,even Amare will be able to destroy Wilcox in a year or two.

10. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

If this is really the case, this Maryland stuff has gone too far. However, I think Steve probably said something to the tune of "Wilcox looks like he's gonna make a great impact next year" or the he jokingly said it would be great if the Rockets had an all Terps lineup and the media turned it around to say that Steve is demanding Wilcox etc etc.

11. AllenLeavell

AllenLeavell Member

steve does not have any power tell the coach and gm
    who to pick. I am sick of it the rockets did not draft T-mo
    because of steve they did it because they saw that he had
    some talents. T-Mo will turn out to be a good back-up player
    I thought he was worth a fIRST ROUNDER but now

12. TRADECUTTINO

TRADECUTTINO Member

Steve's already worked up a plan to bring Wilcox, Baxter and Dixon onboard the team.

13. tbagain

tbagain Member

I don't blame Francis. Trading the #1 pick for a proven player and Wilcox would not be a bad move. Wilcox is going to be a very good player, and the offense could still go through Steve.

Drafting Ming is a better move though.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

IF this report is indeed true....then Francis is indeed a f***ing fool and should just be traded.

15. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Don't forget unloading Moochie to draft Blake next year.

16. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

:) At least we know Blake likes to move the ball around, which is a very nice thing that we could use. No need to reinflate the ball on each offensive trip? Where can you go wrong

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Good to see that people aren't taking vague comments by someone talking about Francis and blowing them out of proportion.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

team chemistry is nice and all ...

but this clique thing is getting out of hand.

OMG Manny you were so right! There is a ****ing clique, and the call's coming from inside your house!

19. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Where is Scotty Brooks? We need him back on this team to give Francis a nice kick in the arse. Wilcox is no better than Samaki Walker.

20. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

No offense to all the Maryland fans, but we don't need to bring them all here in Houston. I would really think that RT & CD figured it all out that Ming is our man!!Don't get offended now franchise!!