1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spider-Man Officially Joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Junkyard_Dog, Feb 9, 2015.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I could see sony eventually trying to build their own miniverse, maybe a Venom spin off.

At this point they have to realize it's best to let Marvel call the shots, but these studio heads can be arrogant and stupid.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Okay, I agree with that statement. Garfield had the wise cracks down, he was just too skater boy to be parker.

3. rockbox

Spider-man and wolverine are the most popular marvel characters and Sony has kind of screwed the character for younger generation. Marvel can not afford to let that happen.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What I really wonder is were all those Sam Raimi Spiderman films and the New Amazing Spiderman films not officially part of the 'Marvel Cinematic Universe'??

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No they weren't.

These new Spider-Man movies will crossover with all of the other Marvel movies.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lmao They finally figured out Spidey does hang out with the Avengers a lot in the comics

Personally not that it really amazes or excites me so much

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Marvel has always wanted him, but Sony has been holding him hostage. They finally worked something out.

1 person likes this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Marvel Studios doesn't own the film rights to Spider-man, X-Men or Fantastic Four- other studios do. Marvel sold them in the 90's when they were about to go bankrupt. Marvel Studios DOES own the Avengers/Hulk/Cap/Iron Man film rights.

2 people like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I believe the Hulk rights are murky. I think Marvel would have to have Universal distribute any Hulk stand alone even though Marvel has creative control of the Hulk and rights to have him in movies where he isn't the lead.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The most recent Hulk movie was Marvel Studio's first movie.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Second. Iron Man came out first and Tony Stark made a cameo in a post-credits scene of the Incredible Hulk.

Still. The Incredible Hulk WAS distributed by Universal while the others were distributed by Paramount before the Disney deal was done.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As far as a Hulk movie, a standalone Hulk movie, Marvel doesn’t really have the rights to that yet. That’s still Universal’s property, so there’s that issue. That’s a big impediment to moving forward with that. Now I don’t think that’s insurmountable, by the way, but I don’t know where it’s going from here for me.
    - Mark Ruffalo

I assume Marvel has the rights to make a movie, but would have to distribute through Universal based on the above quote. Marvel, outside Spider-Man, has not been playing well with others.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. rockbox

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we'll see. I actually liked Toby and despite being a bit euro trashy, i did think Garfield did ok, to my surprise.

But I hope they do the reboot well.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

I still don't understand why they couldn't have just gone with Garfield. Does Sony hold his hiring rights or something?

Without a Gwen Stacy or MJ to pine for, I think Garfield would do fine as Spidey, especially if all the screentime isn't dedicated to him.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Allegedly there was a meeting with Sony heads (in Japan?) for one reason or the other he didn't show up. They took offense to it, and thus no more SpiderGarfield. It's unfortunate because him and Emma were both awesome. The plots sucked, but he was actually a good spiderman other than being a tad too pretty for the job.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's worth noting he was fired prior to Marvel acquiring the license. So ultimately he still might have gotten fired in favor of a complete reboot, which the Japanese execs reportedly wanted, after hearing the option was on the table through the Sony leaks.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member