1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spider-Man Officially Joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Junkyard_Dog, Feb 9, 2015.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

It sounds like Marvel will be actually making the movies, but Sony is distributing it. I'm guessing they're splitting costs, profit. Obviously Sony is saying they have final say on everything, and they still own the movie rights to the character.

We already knew that Marvel still has merchandising rights for Spiderman, even with the movies. So I would guess most of the movie profits will go to Sony, maybe 70/30 or 60/40. (This is all educated guess work at best)

Sony definitely still has them by the balls in a sense, but the fact that they're even considering this shows a fair bit of desperation on Sony's part. It's a smart move though, because Marvel will make sure their movies are awesome.

Sony is counting on Spiderman appearing in Civil War boosting people's hype for the future Spidey movies. Everyone profits.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Thank you North Korea

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I will miss Andrew Garfield.

Although, if you really wanted an older Spiderman, Garfield is in his 30s.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>CONFIRMED: Andrew Garfield is NO LONGER Spider-Man. Someone new will be cast. First appearance in MCU, then solo film.</p>&mdash; Linda Ge (@lindazge) <a href="https://twitter.com/lindazge/status/565009810093912064">February 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Swedish_Rocket

So im guessing you want a well known 40 year old actor to play him? Smh ...

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LOL if they do another origin story...

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I support having an older experienced spider-man as well. I'm tired of having spider-man find himself in his pre-pubescent stage. I want the one who KNOWS what's at stake and is battle tested.

I see a few articles pushing for Miles Morales but to me that's just a re-hash of young spider-man finding his way while learning to deal with his new powers. I don't want a young spider-man because I don't want the Avengers having to babysit and a young spider-man in my opinion wouldn't go well with the already experienced avengers.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Isn't Sony still going to make more Spider-Man movies? If so, are they going to go with the actor they get through the shared involvement with Marvel, or are they going to stick with Garfield?

9. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I read Garfield is out. I don't recall where, but i think it was official.

10. torocan

torocan Member

Thank god they're getting Marvel involved after the wreck of a movie that was Amazing Spiderman 2. Sony suffers from the same issues that WB did during the first Batman run... too many studio dopes who had no respect or love for the core material.

Yes, you can make changes to the material but the lesson that so many studios have to learn the hard way is that ultimately you have to respect the core material.

There are tropes that we love and associate with specific characters, and messing with them is much like messing with the core melody of a much beloved song. Tinker with them at your own peril.

One thing that Marvel has always done better than Sony is they try to find people who LOVE the material First.

The only worry is that Sony tries to stick their fingers into the process too much, however considering Marvel's box office track record they'd have to be complete morons to get in the way of the Marvel Machine.

Sony would have to be filled with complete idiots to think they can do it better than Marvel after last summer. Marvel took a group of fringe characters that even most Comic book fans barely knew in the GOTG and brought in $774M. Sony had arguably one of the highest profile franchise characters in comic book history in their hands and managed to pull in only $708M.

If Marvel can't pull in $1B+ with a patently better Spiderman movie I would be shocked.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This seems like a great deal for Sony, they still own the film but get to use Marvel's talented team to produce it. In return, all Marvel gets is the ability to use Spidey in the MCU films. Marvel somewhat caved here from a financial perspective.

Who cares though, these films will make billions.

12. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Well Sony is footing the bill for the Spidey movies, but who knows how their splitting the profits. I guess it depends on what Marvel characters they want to use in the Spidey movies.

Also with Kevin Feige producing I feel like its in good hands. All Sony has to do is provide the money and then step back and let Marvel work and collect their checks.

Also that Cap3 movie is going to be a monster. Cap, Iron Man, BP, Spidey...feels like it needs to be a two parter

13. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Remember, Marvel own spidey'a rights in other mediums. Sony has devalued his name pretty bad, especially in Spidey 3. This gives Marvel the opportunity to save face and keep Spidey awesome in all mediums

14. Progs

Progs Member

Thoughts?

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No, ****ing no, and hell no. Sounds like a list of actors Fox/Sony suggested.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Casting Channing Tatum as Gambit is bad, but casting Taylor Lautner as Spiderman will <strike>induce riots</strike> bring about the apocalypse and the end of mankind.

17. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Taron Egerton is intriguing(I'll make my judgement after Kingsman is released), but am I bad for saying I want an actual American actor to play Spidey this time?!

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

not at all.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Oh God...please, please, PLEASE let Taylor Lautner get the role

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What's the source on this?

Huge fail if Sony reboots rather than just retcons some of Spidey's past. No one wants to see another origin. zzzz