1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Speculation: Morey's FA Target #1 is... Chris Paul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Dec 3, 2012.

1. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

can i start the next speculation thread? i haven't decided if its Howard or Al Jefferson yet?:mad::mad::mad:PLEASE STOP

2. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I rather have Harden over C.Paul, if both were free-agents regardless to position.

3. bucket

bucket Member

I just can't see CP3 having any interest in taking a third-string PG role behind TD.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

People can joke all about the Rockets' love of Lin, but Daryl Morey thinks CP3 is the greatest PG in NBA HISTORY. If CP3 has any interest in getting out of LA, the Rockets would guarantee him a starting job and whatever the hell he wants if that's what it takes to sign here. If Paul wants Lin to be a backup, Lin's a backup. If Paul wants Lin to stand at the 3pt line every time on the court, Lin would be doing his best Novak impression. If Paul wants Lin off the team, the Rockets would cut Lin and eat all his salary rather than letting Paul sign elsewhere.

Realistically though, if CP3 do want the Rockets, no reason why Lin can't be a backup PG, or even allow the Rockets to play some sort of 3-guard lineup at times.

1 person likes this.
  5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

So when did Lin all of a sudden become better than the best PG in the NBA? I'm not hating on Jeremy Lin, but this is like saying Patterson is better than Kevin Love.

6. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Tell that to the PPOFs

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

well said. Lin doesn't even enter into the thinking on Chris Paul unless the Clips want him. CP3 is a guy that you trade anyone on the team not named Harden for and you say yes sir Mr. Paul to whatever he wants. Lin is an after thought to the extent the Rockets have a real shot at Paul. At 27, a Paul-Harden backcourt could be the best ever. A Paul-Harden-Asik trio would make you a playoff competitor right there.

8. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Chris Paul is better than Lin now.

But Lin has a lot of potential.

I would like to see him grow than get traded.

Same goes for Asik.

That guy is improving.

With that said, I don't think we have to trade for a PG and C position this coming free agency.

Let us focus on the PF position.

If Patterson put up the same number night after night, that is good for him and for us.

More market value for him and a better trade for us.

9. izeroi

izeroi Member

CP3 playing backup to Lin?
    CP3 switching to sg?

Man I really hope some of ya'll are just joking around. Those are some flat out ridiculous ideas.

10. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

They were being sarcastic.

I hope so.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I could be reading this wrong, but it sounds like you're saying you'd rather have Jeremy Lin than Chris Paul because Lin (age 24) has more room to grow than Paul (age 27). This may or may not be true, but even Lin's best-case scenario as far as development is nowhere near the level Chris Paul is currently playing at. And to suggest otherwise would be [fill in the blank].

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. torocan

torocan Member

It's statistically very unlikely that Lin develops into a player of Chris Paul's caliber. I would never say impossible, just highly, highly unlikely.

It is nearly always the best choice to trade a young player, regardless of their potential for a top 3-5 player at ANY position.

When dealing with young players, you are pretty much *hoping* they evolve into an average to above average player (top 15ish) instead of being a bust, you are fortunate if they evolve into an above average to good player (top 10ish), and you are thanking your stars if they evolve into a top 5 player.

Pick any position on the floor. If they are NOT a top 5 player for their position Today, then you should certainly trade them for someone who IS a top 5 player today.

That's not about liking or disliking Lin, it's just smart basketball. Any GM that is unwilling to include ANY single player on the Roster save Harden on the block for a potential trade for CP3 needs to be beaten with a stick and driven out of town.

End of story.

14. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Teams over the apron (74 million in Salary) can't do sign and trades. Unless Chris Paul is traded to Knicks during the season, this coming off-season he can only sign as a FA. With Knicks way over cap they probably can only sign him to MLE. Knicks just don't have chips to trade for him now and there's no way he goes to NY without a major salary reductions.

All top players want to be paid so if he doesn't stay with Clippers expect a sign and trade. Obvious Houston does have chips the Clipper could be interested in, but CP has no way shape or form even mentions the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

During Linsanity, Lin was playing about as well as CP3 does now. I think Linsanity is his "best case scenario". His chances of getting back to that level are pretty low though.

Taking Lin over CP3 though? Ahahahahaha.

CP3 already is what Lin hopes to become.

16. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

CP3 isnt leaving LAC....Thread Closed

17. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Reading the sportings news this morning, and the Lin trade rumors are picking up heavily. I can see this happening, especially since fans and Rockets management have been disappointed with Lin and him not playing up to his contract.

Hopefully, Lin gets traded to the Lakers and the Rockets get some expiring contracts, which can clear cap space for Chris Paul or Lowly.

18. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

LOL I couldve sworn Morey thought the same thing about Rubio.

There was one draft day a couple of years ago when Morey summoned Adelman and told him he was going to trade a chunk of his roster for a dazzling European point guard named Ricky Rubio.

"He could help us win a championship someday," Morey told him, "but we might win 20 games next season."​
    http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Justice-Rockets-Adelman-politely-go-separate-1686888.php

19. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

If Lin continues to play like he did the last game (definitely not a fluke) then is CP3 that big of an upgrade over Lin? Remember Morey is a value guy. Bet my money this will NOt happen.

20. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Why pay max for CP3 when you can get a much bigger discount for Bledsoe?