1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Speculation] Josh Smith and Ty Lawson Transactions Made Team Unhappy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Dec 2, 2015.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Completely unfounded and just speculating for discussion here. Absolutely open for board members to shoot down this topic.

I don't have time atm to find the links to quotes so I'm going off mostly memory here.

- His dad is quoted saying JS being in Houston has rekindled JS passion for game.
    - JS is quoted saying 'taking less $$$ in Houston will be tough on his family"
    - Harden is quoted several times saying we need help at Guard position
    - Harden has been photoed a few times with Ty Lawson at clubs etc. Are they buddies?
    - at some time in July, CF is asking why Josh Smith hasn't been resigned yet.
    - JS takes supposedly less money to go to LAC
    - a couple days later, Ty Lawson trade is executed.
    - Chemistry to start the season seems super off and losses ensue.
    - McHale is fired in what many say was a scapegoat for 'a player problem'.
    - Corey Brewer, part of the headband of bros, is playing uncharacteristically awful in Houston start.
    - Ty Lawson, unable to reach expectations of his previous play in Denver seems like he just can't fit in.
    - Terry quoted, "Not the same group"

So from these bits and pieces, the speculation I'm raising is that either Harden or Morey were convinced we needed help at the guard position (we did), but it meant losing Josh Smith. In the process, Josh Smith (who felt he was invested and took a pay cut for Houston) got pissed and made those closest to him on the team disgruntled.

Again, purely conjecture on my part - thoughts?

2. s3ts

s3ts Member

i'd agree. i don't want to be mad at the past, though. how can we get outta this mess?

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It's a good educated guess. I would add that there were rumors that the Rockets had no bites on trading Terrence Jones. I felt like they were trying to make room for Josh and DMo when those rumors surfaced.

4. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Also maybe I should add at the end:
    - Beverley chimed in, "Not the same group!"
    - Ty Lawson already looking to be traded 20 games in.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No...players talked about "bringing almost everyone back and now we added Ty".....they liked giving up no one in rotation for him.

Smith left because he wanted PT to get another deal, LA could guarantee that more then Houston. Giving him guarantee here would be lying amd giving him more money would cut into other deals. No reason for players not to understand it was business and best for both sides to part ways

6. bmd

bmd Member

I thought Josh Smith said moving to L.A. would be hard on his family. Houston offered him more money than L.A.

He chose to go to the Clippers for less money.

7. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Josh Smith left us on his own. Took less money to go play for a team we just won an epic series against. And you can bet the Kings offered more money than we did. Sure, Morey could have promised Josh a bigger role, I absolutely would rather have him than T Jones right now. But Josh not being here is just as much on Josh as it is anyone else.

8. DMO (DJ remix)

I sorta hate how overrated Smith has become on this site, look, he haven't had much success in terms of chemistry anywhere, plays few good months in Houston and all of the sudden his a savior, look whats happening now in Clippers land, same ol' same ol'. I'm not saying Ty isn't bringing issues, but if you think McHale and team having no proper preason is less of an issue then losing Smith i got nothing else to add.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

my gut reaction is that it seems a little too "soap opera-ish," makes the Rockets out to be the team version of the Morris brothers. :rolleyes: but I'll be curious to hear what others think. These are grown men, and paid professionals--they ought to be able to come together regardless.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Josh is playing 15 mpg over in LA and only scoring 5.5 ppg. Maybe a trade back to Houston is in order?

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rockets had a very stable offseason, Chronic team depression due to not resigning a rental backup PF and swapping Prigioni for Lawson? Doubtful.

12. CertifiedTroll

I mean, even if the players were mad, I doubt sucking this bad could come from pouting alone.

13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

We miss him, he played with heart and did some dumbass **** but he was a fighter and we are missing our fight right now, I want my smoove

14. rocketseagles07

I'm all for the Josh Smith love but you guys are really making a bigger deal out of an average than needs to be made. Losing ONE role player isn't making harden lazy, ariza slower w/ a worst jumpshot, brewer terrible, Beverley bad defensively/useless offensively...

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Smith left despite having an offer on the table. I've read that people know the reason why he left and it differs from his public statements... but I won't speculate as I have zero insight into the situation. Smith leaving of his own volition shouldn't cause a bunch of grown adults to sulk when they're getting millions to play a freaking game.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think it's clear that letting Smoove walk really hurt chemistry (much more than i realized). And the fact that DMo didn't start the season increased the void at the 4 and contributed to losing, which made the team even more disgruntled.

17. alethios

alethios Member

"Not the same group" sounds more and more like a psychological status than a roster status.

18. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I blame Adidas

19. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Smith left not because of money, and you gotta remember...minimum in Houston> minimum in LA due to tax reasons. So whatever you guys listen to is bull****.

He left cause James tried to **** his wife. This upset more than just Smith, try Dwight, Bev, etc.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hhhhmmmm . . . . .. . could be
    [​IMG]

Rocket River