1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spec's Liquor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by scv_rockets, Oct 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

I've heard a lot about Spec's Liquor store in Houston but have never been there. Which location is the really nice one? Are all the locations the same or are some better than others? Which ones do you recommend? I'm going tomorrow morning.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

downtown is pretty large.

3. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Downtown. I don't mess with any others. It's the biggest and has the best selection. I hope you like free samples.

4. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

If you go to the downtown location, you have to stop at their deli. I recommend the Big John.

5. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Downtown rules. Anything else disappoints me.

6. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Downtown is the biggest one. It is actually like a monument to liquor. It is large. Also, if you go on Saturday there are tons of people giving free samples so you can get drunk for FREE!!!!

The other ones are pretty much larger than normal liquor stores. Though the one on Westheimer, near the beltway is pretty nice as well.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I've been to the one in Richmond near the Galleria, and the one out in Katy down Mason.

I would like to try this downtown one you speak of.

8. no_answer

no_answer Member

Been there, done that. :D

I agree, downtown is the best.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Neither one are on the level of downtown, but on their own (as well as the one on Westheimer close to Dairy Ashford), they are great liquor stores.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I shop at the one at Dairy Ashford & Memorial. It's great....really, there's not another store around like it. And I know the one downtown is even bigger.

11. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

It's a big liquor store.

If you get excited about that, then you will like Spec's.

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

the one in Downtown is ridiculously huge

its funny, last week I went to the one on Highway 6 near 1092 in Missouri City, and realized that their is another one like 5 miles down the road near 59, i guess there are so many people down there to drink they had to open 2 stores within a 5 mile radius.

13. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

The best part is the 5% discount for using cash. I got a 12 pack of Skinny Dip for like 11 and change.

Although I was shocked that they were all out of my Guinness. For some reason I didn't used to like the stuff, but now you could say I need it to live. I had a cold once so I drank a case of it. When I woke up 3 days later, the cold was gone. It's like magical fairy juice from some kind of Irish god.

Usually their beer prices aren't the absolute best. Close. It is after all a liquor store.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The one on Westheimer near Hillcroft can't be more than 2 miles west of the one off Richmond.

15. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Got two kegs from the downtown store.. Very helpful.. People are all over the place to answer questions.. Beer prices can slightly high on occasion.. But the earth is centered at that store imo..

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I get the same feeling walking into downtown Specs that I did walking into a fireworks store when I was 12. Hell, I would probably still get excited about a fireworks store.

17. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

I hate specs. i'd rather go to the little guy. Specs is the walmart of the liquor stores

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Love Walmart. Love America. You give me the cheapest crap, I am coming.

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

The first class back after the hurricane, my fiction professor said "Everywhere you go, there's angry people. They're pissed off about property damage, the power outage, no gas, nothing open...I had a hellish time getting here today. Spec's was open yesterday. I went there and let me tell you, everyone at Spec's is happy. They're all kind, cheerful...even before the storm, Spec's is a nice reminder that humanity, as a whole, is good."

I need to try the downtown location.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Specs is nothing like Wal-Mart. It does have enormous quantity, but in contrast to Wal-Mart, it carries the odd-brands and the high-ticket stuff in addition to the cheap crap.

Great deli, great selection of nearly everything you could want, including white chocolate Toblerone.

Anyone who disses Specs is dead to me. White.Chocolate.Tobleroneone.

[​IMG]