1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Spears) Thompson to sign with Cavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dream2franchise, Oct 21, 2015.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

[Windhorst] Cavs payroll w/tax now scheduled to come in at $170+ million. It will be 2nd highest all time. Nets paid $197M in '13-14 including $90M tax

2. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

You're correct, I said 88-89M but I was using the old cap figure. He left 12M on the table.

3. lionaire

lionaire Member

LeBron is the best GM out there

4. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Almost 200 mil for your PFs, okay

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Hard to call anything too high anymore with the cap situation.

Thompson is a one-of-a-kind player, but I don't know if you can pay him like a cornerstone and get away with it for long.

I'm not surprised he didn't get what he was looking for, but that's still a lot of money.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

By "one-of-a-kind" you must mean one-dimensional.

Stupid Cavs. If they are lucky, he might be tradeable if the cap grows to $105 million in 2017.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

why not just trade for reggie evans? same player for a microscopic fraction of the price! AND HE GRABS PLAYERS BALL SACKS WHEN HE BOXES OUT!

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Cavs are such a stupid organization.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

the cavs better win. if they don't there is a decent chance lebron becomes hated again by that city.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Let me guess, the Cavs are still not hard capped? This is a a nasty business, I'll you that much. How can anyone on the team still like this guy? He literally refused to play with his team and would give up on his team mates over money. That's what it boils down to for me.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Us (the players) vs. them (management) mentality? I stated in another post, there's absolutely ZERO harm from a basketball perspective to paying Tristan Thompson more than $80 Mil given who Cavs have locked up and the length of time they are. All it does is save Dan Gilbert some money, which Lebron (and probably Kyrie and KLove) by the virtual being capped by the max contract limit, is already saving him.

So if it was the players, they should be expecting Dan Gilbert to open up the wallet and sign Tristan to the max. It only lasted this long because Dan Gilbert was cheap.

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I'm also not saying Dan Gilbert is actually cheap (he's paying $170 Mil to field a basketball team this season), but rather it's pretty easy to see how players would side with Tristan in the current scenario.

13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It won't be that bad once the cap increases though!

14. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

ultimately, the cost comes back to the fans paying for it one way or the other

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

HE'S NOT GOOD.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Literally, all Thompson's good at is guarding in space and offensive rebounding. Mediocre post defender, no real offensive moves, bad passer, no shooting range beyond 10 feet, and he wasn't even a great finisher until LeBron showed up. Oh, and playing him and Mozgov together completely gums up the Cavs' offense, and neither he nor Love should be playing more than 5-10 minutes per game at the 5.

Insanity.

17. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Basically, Lebron left Miami so he could play GM in Cleveland?

You know he's not going to have much control with Riley in charge.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Very expensive and overpaid deal, BUT they needed to keep Thompson. Considering his defense, rebounding, and energy in the game. He's a fairly above-average player and it gives them alot of depth. Salary cap-wise, this is a nightmare, but they are in a win-now mode --- championship or bust. So, it was worth it. He's still pretty young and he makes up for what Kevin Love is missing...defense, garbage work, and intensity.

I think Thompson on the right team would've peaked as 14-16 ppg with 10+ rebounds and really good defense. At some point, I think he would live up to that contract around Year 2-3, admirably on another team. Next season, with the deals going up to 25 - 30+ MM, it may be an affordable deal, down the road.

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

the most expensive offensive rebounder in the league. reggie evans is pissed!