1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Spears) Rockets interested in Lionel Hollins

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, May 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. torocan

torocan Member

4 teams looking at him as a potential HC according to the OP. That's aside from GS and Houston looking at Hollins as an assistant.

He's not the hottest head coaching prospect in the NBA, but he certainly has as good a shot at being a Head Coach as most anyone else out there.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think any assistant or associate head coach can make us a good defensive team. Our good defensive teams under Adelman, JVG (especially) and Rudy T were good because the head coach drove the team culture to emphasize defense. A good defensive mind drawing up the schemes isn't enough to change the incentives that the players are responding to. The players need to feel like their value to the team and their self-worth is driven by how good their defense is. They need to know they'll be sitting the bench if they miss assignments. If the head coach is saying a player's offense compensates for the poor defense, we'll continue to be poor defensively. So, it's on McHale, because he's the one assigning minutes.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rokman

Rokman Member

I am very confused and I'm sure that someone here can explain this to me but I was under the impression that Chris Finch was our next great coach, who is a stats guy, and already has a winning resume everywhere he has coached. why was McHale and J.B. running the show after Sampson left? Why didn't Chris Finch move up to help McHale make the adjustments needed? I'm lost. I would think if Chris Finch was on the open market and looking at head coaching jobs we would all be screaming MOREY GET FINCH!!

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

JVG also had Thibadeoux as an assistant with us.... should've never let him either of them go.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nepotism. McHale knew JB's dad and JB went to the University of Minnesota.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Love Hollins, would be a great choice for head coach here. Wait, we already have a head coach, or at least a likable guy.

7. anchel

anchel Member

What is McHale's salary?

Only way to get a head coach caliber assistant is by paying him big. But at the same time that salary can't match McHale's earnings.

8. anchel

anchel Member

More than a stats guy, I see Finch as a real coach, just with no NBA experience.

But if you have seen him coaching the british national team, you can tell that he has done a very good job with the poor material he's had.

His teams use to play hard, he creates junction and cohesion. He's an active coach in terms of adjustments, X's & O's. And he's far from being a soft coach.

Btw, to be honest I've never noticed a close relationship between him and McHale. Don't know why but he's always seemed to be far from him.

9. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Too old. Rockets should go for Lionel Messi as a speedy scorer off the bench.

1 person likes this.
  10. clutz

clutz Member

Why does Kevin McHale hate Chris Finch so much?

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

DM is starting to think in the right direction. McHale will need to go sooner or later. I think DM will eventually realize that the Rockets will need a new head coach. It would be better, if McHale was replaced right away.

#71 saleem, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Don't want to get political, but...

McHale strongly supported US independence. So when Finch coached the British national team it really pissed off McHale.

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This would be awesome!

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sure. And Thibs is also a coach is good about demanding defense from all his players. But, I believe it's the emphasis on defense and not the defensive gameplan that's the difference. If JVG was our coach and everything else the same, I'm certain Harden would be defending a lot harder. He might not be great at it, but JVG would make sure Harden was in the right spots at the right time.

15. conquistador#11

if you pay him head coaching money for his "associative" work, he might respond to maury's flirtation. Otherwise, it's a glass pipe dream thinking he'd pass up numerous head coaching opportunities to do all the hard work and take blame while mchale plays tic tac toe on his clipboard.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What good is having a defensive asst coach when the Head coach still rewards the lazy player with minutes

17. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Would be great but a long shot. Why would he settle for associate head coach when teams want him for HC?

18. mig0s

mig0s Member

Lionel hollins is not even a decent coach. Morey needs to fire mchale before anything.

19. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

This would be a Great Opportunity for Hollins to associate coach a team that has the talent to be a Contender- (maybe just one/two way players away) but needs more Defensive Focus, Effort, Intensity, Discipline, etc. Despite being one of the youngest teams with Howard added this season, the Rox have proven that they can be Victorious against anyone in the league except the Clippers.

Although Kevin McHale is one of the Best Two-Way players in NBA history and the fact that their defensive coach - Kelvin Sampson left at the end of the season (pre-playoffs) it is odd that the team didn't play as hard on D consistently. It could be because they aren't responding to Kevin enough, or he didn't emphasize it enough, or any combination of reasons.

Fortunately, Coach McHale is Fabulous with Player Development and helped the Rox Achieve one of their Best Regular Seasons in Franchise History!

The Rox cannot waste this opportunity that they have with Howard in his Prime, James as a Top-3 SG, and their talented supporting cast.

#79 djperm, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  20. houtown

houtown Member

They could play good cop and bad cop.