1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Spears) Rockets interested in Lionel Hollins

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, May 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Hmm

Hmm Member

Well, Morey is anti-anything not analytics, and McHale is Morey's puppet.... so, yes... Lionel Hollins would bring tremendous balance to the team....

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You know you are overrating Sampson. Earlier in the season it was him that let the Lakers do what they did @ Houston. Also, not to mention the Philly games and other defensive debacles with Sampson available.

3. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

if McHale can be useful in attracting Love or Melo here, keeping him is a no brainer (even though he is arguably one of the worst coaches in the league). Once we are able to get a 3rd star, we can get a defensive minded assistant coach to help with the defense. McHale already heavily relied on his assistants from what I've read, so this will be nothing new and we would have 3 stars

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lionel Hollins is a tough guy. We need tough assistant coaches.

JB "Nepotism" Bickerstaff, Chris Finch and Greg Buckner are too soft and do not hold guys accountable. Only folksy tough Kelvin Sampson did it and he is gone.

Besides Hollins as a lead assistant, we need to also add more tough coaches to help players develop their individual toughness especially on defense. I would look to more recently retired players for the job of mentoring our guys like Hakeem does for Dwight.

A couple of names that come to mind are Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson. Hire them both and make them responsible for making Harden improve his defensive effort. Ron and Captain Jack will surely inspire Harden to do better.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I hear Rasheed Wallace is looking for a gig

6. NotChandlerParsons

I don't know anything about how good he was, I wasn't on the bench. I don't want that to happen again regardless.

7. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Why would any respectable coach come be kevin mchales assistant? Lol

8. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

because they know it's mchale last season and they can take over next year.

9. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Pretty surprised the Rockets would be interested in Hollins given his contentious relationship with the Grizzlies front office. This doesn't exactly sound like somebody that Morey would be eager to bring on board and start working with...
    [rQUOTEr]Since the analytics-driven new ownership group of Robert Pera took over control of the franchise this season, there's been dramatic conflict between management and Hollins. Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien has given vice president of basketball operations John Hollinger significant latitude in constructing the roster and a philosophy.

Management wants a coach willing to buy into the analytic movement, using those mechanisms to make roster, lineup and system decisions. Hollins has resented what he considers undue interference by management, and has stood by his track record and success in maintaining productivity with a roster of diverse and difficult personalities.

During the Grizzlies' playoff run, tensions turned to a confrontation when Hollins exploded during a practice session upon finding Hollinger had walked onto the practice court and engaged forward Austin Daye during a shooting drill, multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports.

With the team watching – and with a motive to show his players that he was completely in charge on the floor, sources said – Hollins loudly questioned Hollinger about what he was doing, and why he believed it was appropriate for a management official to intrude on what's considered sacred territory for a coach and team, sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--lionel-hollins--grizzlies-likely-parting-ways-after-contract-discussions-collapse-210228215.html[/rQUOTEr]

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is Dr. Phil available?

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lionel Hollins to play the Kelvin Sampson role lol. I'm glad Sampson got a head coaching job and I hope Hollins does to where he is the man and not a position where he is doing all the work but some below average coach like Mchale gets all the credit at the end of day. That's ridiculous get out of this disrespective and good ol boy way of doing business at least make Mchale a consultant or something if you don't want to fire him.

12. verysimplejason

Do it! McHale's just a "FIGURE" head coach.

13. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I'm on board with the sentiments on hollins, he'd be a great acquisition.

As far as adding tough players to join the staff and help guys like Harden on D...I love the idea. I'm not sure bout Artest but i'd welcome a guy like gary payton.

14. houtown

houtown Member

I like the idea of co-head coaches. Thinking outside the box.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There was an example of two head coaches in soccer.

A tandem, a duo

16. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Would be ecstatic to get Hollins, only question is would he take the gig with head coaching opportunities open

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There were some articles about that, what was happening in Memphis was they were telling Hollins what he had to do, whereas JVG says that Morey tends to give information that could be informative.

On top of that Morey has said that defensive analytics are a bit useless, even their own, and he probably feels that Hollins impact on defense would be above and beyond that (I doubt any of the Memphis issues were about the defense either).

#37 Aleron, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hell no he's not interested. Mike Brown wasn't what makes you think this over qualified HC will bow down to Mchale. That's an insult. Morey why are you changing your approach? I thought analytics was everything. He's the opposite. Hard work and hands on.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Too good to be true.

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Would be huge if they could get Hollins to run their defense. A real PG and a good hard nosed defensive coach is essential going into next season.