1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spears] Rockets granted permission to interview Luke Walton for HC position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Apr 28, 2016.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

How to gauge how bad this season was:

We're cracking jokes about how our franchise doesn't deserve Luke Walton, 36 year old former Lakers bench scrub with 2 years of assistant coaching experience.

2. SeabrookMiglla

psh luke walton aint gonna get no respect here... we need an enforcer to kick harden's diva's ass and crew in check. we need an azzhole type coach not a 'c'mon guys' type coach.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Walton is not making any lateral moves. If he is on a different team's bench, it's because he's the head coach.

4. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Don't drink the juice. We don't need another inexperienced head coach damnit.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

He will get another HC gig based on his name alone. He and his dad are really respected league wide. Hell, McHale could score him a gig somewhere if he was desperate. JB played it safe, he thought they would score a 4-6 seed and then maybe win round 1. What's sad, is that almost worked. We were right next to Portland in January, we could have played a broken, beaten Clipper team and made it to the second round. Maybe it's a blessing we had the issues we did...

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Doesn't work that way? What staff do you think Walton would be bringing from the Warriors? None, I think Walton would be happy to have JVG as an assistant coach.

No, not backwards. Walton wouldn't leave the Warriors to be our assistant. JVG on the other hand doesn't have a coaching job, lives in Houston and who knows, might like having a less stressful role by just being a defensive focused assistant coach.

Would JVG take a assistant job? I don't know (neither do you), but it's not that far fetched.

7. ibm

ibm Member

and then go back to an assistant role. see gentry. too many have walked down that path.

walton has NOT shown anything thus far. i cant understand why any team will risk taking him.

8. ibm

ibm Member

jvg being an assistant to a newbie?

two words for you: LOL.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah that point seems to get lost when people talk about the "greatness" or Kerr and anyone and everyone else associated with the Warriors. Luke Walton may turn out to be a great coach, but I can tell you this much... he sure as hell isn't going to be running their offense with Corey Brewer, Motiejunas and Patrick Beverly....

Also, as you pointed out, the real architect of the offense ran by the Suns and Warriors is trying to do the same thing in New Orleans and has learned the hard way, not every one can pull it off.

The Rockets are going to do what they always do with Alexander. Interview and gather research and information on a huge number of coaches. Interview 5-10 candidates. Have 4-5 candidates re-interviewed and then Les will decide on who he wants with Daryl Morey frantically trying to steer him towards the better candidates.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

... or he is making twice as much money.

It is all about the money. It always has been; it always will be.

11. clutch citizen

That could very well be the outcome, but Walton will definitely get his shot as a head coach. Especially after accounting for a 24-0 start and contributing to the staff with the best regular season record in the nba. All off of a championship last year.

I don't like Walton as a head coach for this team. I'm with DD in that the next head coach MUST have Harden's respect. Thibs was that guy because of the Olympic run.

However, if I'm Morey, and the name of the game is 3s, free throws, and defense, then I'm poaching off that Warriors bench. Walton is the most qualified being that he was the head coach for that historic start. He ran the system.

With Howard all but gone, you won't need the multi personality/ego manager that McHale was. Not as much and not to the point of vitality anyway.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Steve Kerr was terrible as an executive in Phoenix.

I agree with you that experience is a good thing and not a bad thing. Fred Hoiberg is terrible. Donovan is very good at offense, but that defense...

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

great way to cause a rift on a coating staff when one assistant coach makes 5X more money than the other ones and maybe even the head coach.

14. clutch citizen

I don't think he would for money. That Warriors organization is a tight group. A promotion would be required I think. It's all speculation By us anyway. Just curious though, when was the last time we heard about an assistant jumping ship to be an assistant again? The only times that I could think of is when a former head coach takes over a new team and recruits his assistants from his previous gig whether or not they are under someone else currently.

15. shlhl

shlhl Member

Is JB being dismissed yet?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As <a href="https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN">@MarcJSpearsESPN</a> noted, the Rockets (like the Lakers) have received permission to speak with Luke Walton. The Kings, I'm told, have not.</p>&mdash; Sam Amick (@sam_amick) <a href="https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/725728347435593728">April 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So teams ask for permission and if granted, that means Walton ok'ed it right? They don't just automatically give permission if asked?

18. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I thought the Kings were talking with Mchale. Is this a dck move Warriors?

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He was the interim coach so the job is open. My Guess is he'll get an interview as well but it won't lead to anything.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Probably more to do with Luke not being interested, but not wanting to look like a picky douche bag for someone with no exp. so he got the Warriors to tell them no.