1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spears] Rockets granted permission to interview Luke Walton for HC position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Apr 28, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Kerr wasnt just some ex player off the street hired either. He had plenty experience being the gm who knew how to construct a roster and player fits.

This year the thinking out of the box got chicago locked in a 5 year deal with a godawful coach, fisher fresh out of retirement already got fired and Donovan doesnt do that well either.
    For every Kerr there are 10 Fishers out there.

2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

One reason I would be interested is that there has to be something the Warriors are doing in practice to have all those role players shooting so well..

We obviously need to dump most of ours, but if the next crop could be on some of the same shooting drills those GS role players could be very beneficiary

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's unproven at this point. He wouldn't necessarily be terrible, but greatness is not guaranteed. It's unfair to say he will be bad just because he coached great players. Kerr was unproven and it worked out. Fisher was unproven and it was a disaster. There are examples of unproven guys working both ways.

Messina and Walton are my favorite unproven candidates. Boylen is also intriguing. Cassel or Ellie would be fun from a nostalgia stand point.

JVG is definitely our proven candidate top choice from an outsiders perspective. I'd be fine with this hire and I think he can adapt to today's game but he is technically unproven because there has to be a statute of limitations here. It's been 10 years since he has coached. No available coaches come without risks. The least risky hire was Thibs and he still had some red flags. Sadly he isn't available, 5 games too late.

edit: Battier would also be a lot of fun forgot about him, Thanks J.R.

#43 treyk3, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  4. malakas

malakas Member

If you want a shooting coach hire Hornacek as your assistant. Hes one of the best in that.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Luke Walton? Really, Luke Walton?

We need a coach who is going to discipline this team, demand respect, and bring a veteran team back to fundamental basketball. Luke Walton?

I would take him as an assistant at the most.

6. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The best coach available out there is Ettore Messina. Hire him immediately.

7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Could not possibly be worse than we are now, sign me up!:cool:

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Someone like Luke Walton and Mark Jackson are the best fit for James Harden. I like Ettore Messina, I think he is a good coach that could become great. But Messina is not a fit for a diva like James Harden. Which is sad.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

What about permission to interview this also ex-Arizona player?

[​IMG]

;)

Luke Walton? Just hire this guy instead:
    [​IMG]

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You know I'm all for this. I explained my reasoning in detail in the thread in started last week.

Beyond that though... I think it is very possible and frankly likely that hiring Walton and hiring him sooner rather than later generates early positive offseason momentum. Maybe he'll suck as a HC. It's correct, no one knows.

But I have to assume that he'd be viewed as a positive by free agents. He'd be viewed as young energy who is at least familiar with systems that put players in spots to succeed.

If I'm Durant or Horford am I more excited by Walton... Or JVG, Messina... In 2016... It's got to be Walton.

And he might actually be a good coach to boot :)

11. pippsux

pippsux Member

Doesn't matter who you hire if Morey is still your GM.
    He needs to go and let's change the culture....we are a laughing stock and a punch line and it starts with our GM.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Ok, if either of them was coach I would be ok with. Especially Batman.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Truth be told he was a "meh" gm...if not terrible, ask the Suns fans what they think about him as a gm, they don't have good memories about him at all.

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

Why are you so impressed?

15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The warriors actually like playing with each other, Draymond would kill James for not playing D, the share the basketball, and play excellent team defense. We do none of the above. Oh yeah, we have a bunch of non shooters on the team, but great analytics!

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree, i'll take Shane and even Jet before Luke since he seems a clear fluke...just leave him to the Lakers...

17. malakas

malakas Member

Meh or not meh thats a resume and much more experience than the likes of Fisher and even Walton.

What was even Walton responsible for under Kerr?
    It wasnt the defence because thats Adams. It wasnt the offence because that was mostly Gentry. So what exactly he was doing except for standing in for Kerr and following his orders?

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He won't come; he will wait for Kerr to retire and then inherit the Ws

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What about JB? He ain't even been fired yet...

20. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I don't care for the guy. Not only does he not have the experience, James Harden is not going to listen to the guy. Granted, at this point Harden won't listen to many people. If McHale couldn't reach him, then a young, inexperienced assistant coach who led a team that basically coached themselves absolutely won't.