1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spears] Rockets granted permission to interview Luke Walton for HC position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed with this. Might as well get some info from him.

2. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

JBB is the interim head coach. Interim means temporary which means he doesn't have the job yet. JBB will be interviewed as well.

Walton is likely giving his due diligence to both Houston and LA. The situation is very good in Oakland and he can likely receive the same amount of money next off season and even score a team that have the real chance of being more stable. Build your resume for another season and see if there are better teams than the Rockets or Lakers.

A situation like last year's Pelicans would make sense which is why Gentry left. You have a superstar and a team that just made the playoffs. You think "hey, I got some good peices. I got Jrue, Ryan, and even Tyreke. I can make this work if all guys stay healthy. I'll take the money, my ring, and go."

With Houston or LA everything is just so unstable... next season a team like the Raptors, Bucks or something could be seeking a new coach.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Except Marc Jackson pretty much had the same players and they were in the lottery lol.

My first choice is JVG, but it all depends on his willingness to coach under Les Alexander again. Unless we get another top A class coach Luke Walton might be ok, at least he's had a system he likes and has seen how to implement and manage it properly.

4. MistaK

MistaK Member

Luke Walton sure is intriguing but there are a lot of ?? with him.

But you saying that under Mark Jackson they were a lottery team is just wrong. They weren't, they made the playoffs and advanced to the second round one year and the year after lost in the first round (if memory serves me right).

Do I think Kerr is a better coach than Jackson? Yeah sure - He implemented a new system and it made things easier for the players (and they obviously have the players to play the system they are playing). But factor in also, that this team has continuity (which the Rockets won't have to begin next season) and couple of years under their belts (players tend to improve with experience).

Now Walton, basically just came in to replace Kerr for the time he was out. He was running the exact same system. He was coaching a championship team that was already a well-oiled machine.

Do I think it is impressive what he pulled off as an interim coach to begin the season? Sure! Does it automatically mean that he will be a good HC? No, because he has yet to be a HC and has yet to come up with his own system to run (which should be a system that fits the personnel). There is no saying how he would do.

I too feel that JVG would be a great coach. Players would definitely respect him. He is well respected by everyone and I'm sure he wouldn't have any problems getting top notch assistant coaches on board. He has watched tons and tons of games and has seen the league evolve into a guard-dominant league. I'm sure he gets that playing uptempo is a good thing. I've no doubt in my mind that he would be a great fit.

2 people like this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

agreed. he would need an associate HC who's done it before. and someone who can bring the defense. lionel hollins, mike brown, mike woodson, laurence frank, mo cheeks, kelvin sampson, etc...

with the right supporting cast i think he can do it.

6. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

10000x's this. Surmised my thoughts perfectly. Luke has demonstrated nothing that implies he's ready to be a HC. Anyone prognosticating that guys like him or Messina are somehow the perfect candidates are basing that on nothing more than conjecture bc there is no way anyone on here has any clue how to quantify their skillsets.

Prognosticating that either option is somehow a superior one to a proven, successful coach like JVG is absurd.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

You realize Steve Kerr had no prior coaching experience at all. Luke Walton has more coaching experience than Steve Kerr when he was hired. Good GM's and Owners think outside the box to find the next great coach. Not just go around hiring retreads who've already failed coaching the team. All the fans who want retreads because so and so assistants have no coaching experience need to realize all good coaches started out with no experience. They were given a chance.

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Hope he's not another Gentry.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Before this conversation:

Morey: "James, what do you think we get Luke Walton for our next coach?"

Harden: "That kid? Sure. I bet he'll let me do my things."

Morey: "Not only that. He knows how to use all the illegal screens to get you open."

Harden: "Screens? I don't need screens. Just give me the ball."

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Agree that it makes sense to interview Luke Walton, pick his brain, but he's not ready. He still had that deer in headlights look when he guided the team this season.

How about stealing some of Golden State's staff? I've heard Jarron Collins is an up and comer, get him on JVG's staff.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only way I take Walton here is if Morey guys this Roster and the oldest player on the team is Harden.

Walton needs young players with fresh starts to build a team culture.

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Don't hire Luke he is not ready...

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Jesus no. Can we sign JB to a 10 year deal instead? That would be much better than Luke.

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Not a big fan of Luke. Seems like too much of a gamble to take.

15. hakeemthagreat

No they weren't

As far as JVG being everybody's choice, I think ppl are thinking out of emotion opposed to rationally. Remember JVG's offense was FAR worse than it is now. Tmac did most of the dribbling and Yao set the pick, THAT'S IT. No movement, no cutting, no screens. We had among the worst offenses in the NBA. Watching today's game you'll never get away with slowing the game down. That's exactly how JVG prefers to coach

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Disciplinarian coaches don't work with adults, you can see that trend in all sports

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Wow, Lucky Luke? Really?

SMH

Just bring Ron Adams if you want a really coach jesus christ...Luke lol...

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just say no to Lucas.

19. ibm

ibm Member

here's the first mistake we make in the off-season.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm not sold. I'm fine with an assistant coach, but Walton might've been the beneficiary of a great roster and solid foundation already in place(they were the 67-15 defending champs after all).