1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spanoulis vs. Cat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK,both of these guys were second round picks.And they've taken different paths to the NBA.While I've often had problems with Cuttino,I must admit he worked his butt off and became a legitimate,diciplined NBA player.That said,I have to say,I think KB's ceiling is higher.Just curious,as both were classified "tweeners" where you guys think Spanoulis will end up playing and how good he'll be.Cat evolved into a decent starting 2(even though we used him as a 1 for awhile) and I believe VSpan will become a tremendous 1.
    Which will be remembered as the better player?

2. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

he will become a 2 but he may play some 1 in games. i hope his presence in the game can bring us more fast break points. I think the reason that our FG are so low is because wesley and bogans can't fast break.

3. Aussie Dooley

Aussie Dooley Member

i thonk they are a lot different on the court, ill be happy is span is as effective as the cat. anything more would be a bonus

4. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I haven't even seen V-Span play....

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's doubtful V-Span becomes as good as Cat but it would be great if he does. If he ends up being an average to above-average starting guard in his 2nd year, we got a steal. But training camp hasn't even started yet.

Speaking of Cat, he disappointed me a lot last year. He needs to bring it up a notch next season. There is nothing wrong with playing for the money and taking the highest offer IF you earn it by playing well enough for your new team.

6. Plowman

Supporting Member

Yes,Cat's professionalism has been one of the issues.

7. Plowman

Supporting Member

Make no mistake..I don't question Cuttino's work ethic and preparation.The problem starts on the floor during a game.
    In fact,I see these two as having a fire,a chip on their shoulder to succeed.This can be a great thing if nurtured correctly.With Spanoulis that includes the team whereas with Mobes,it's more of a me thing(or Steve and me).

8. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

Cat had a pretty good season last year and was a major reason the Clippers had such a great season. I don't expect too much from Span immediately, but I think he can be a contributer once he gets accustomed the the NBA game. Comparing him to Cuttino is a bit much right now.

9. aamir

aamir Member

Honestly, I don't think it's right to try and make a comparison, since most of us have seen Cat play for years and have only seen one or two games from V-Span.

But I just hope V-Span comes through for you guys. There's some seriously large expectations being thrown at him.

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

can we please let him get here first...

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I don't see him as a 2. He handles the ball too well, he penetrates, and he runs the break. On top of all that, he's great at the pick and roll, he's not a great shooter and he's definitely on the small side for SG. I say he may play some spot minutes at SG when we want to go small and quick but the majority of his minutes come at point guard.

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Too small and too weak a shooter to be effective at the SG. Definitely a backup PG because he doesn't shoot the rock as well a Rafer nor is he as clever a ball handler as Rafer. His role will be as a defensive spark plug and energy guy, hopefully he can make the entry pass to Yao, run the pick and roll and create his own shot.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

so in other words, you're just upping your post count ;)

i think spanoulis will be a definite 1. his passing and dicision making will keep him as the playmaker. cat was never a good passer or decision maker and so he was moved to the 2.

i believe that both of them will be equal defensive players. however while cat specialized in shooting, i think spanoulis will specialize in driving to the basket.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

First both havent died yet. Second, Vspan hasnt played one NBA game yet. Third, let's not compare oranges with apples. Fourth, thank god, pre-seaon will start in less than a month.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Does preseason start in under a month?

That is AWESOME news.

DD

16. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

6'4" ain't short, dude. There is no rule that you have to be 6'5" to 6'8" to be a SG. If he can develop a consistent outside shot, he should play SG. His ability to attack the basket with dribble penetration is too appealing to make him play the PG spot. Keep scorers out of the PG position. Let PGs play quarterback. It's a bad analogy, but for all of Michael Vick's talents, I'd rather have Peyton Manning.

17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I think about the only thing they have in common is being 2nd roung picks.

I think Spanoulis has great skills and confidence, he could become an effective NBA player by mid-season imo.

I see him developing more into a great 6th man rahter than starter, so I would say Cuttino is the choice, but we wouldn't know until Spanoulis has a body of work to compare to Cuttino's.

18. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Ya know, Cuttino was a bonehead in Houston. But he's really turned into a good player. How much of that is playing with Sam Cassell, who really does make players around him better, I don't know.

19. kingkow

kingkow Member

What matters is talent

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

they not even close

maybe they defend the same, but thats it