1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spanoulis signed contract already?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tuus, May 18, 2005.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

That's how I see it. Under the current CBA, Spanoulis would either get 1 year at the minimum or 1 year @ minimum with a team option second year @ minimum.

EDIT: It would be possible to split the MLE out for more years. But CSpan doesn't have those kind of credentials when players like Swift, Marshall, SAR, and Walker are in the FA marketplace.

#21 GATER, May 20, 2005
    Last edited: May 20, 2005
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Who's CSpan? See? This is why his nickname should be VASELINE!!!! Deuce doesn't know what he's talking about. We've got fans calling our boys television network names. :)

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Wouldn't it also be possible to offer the $1 million exception? Why is there a limit on the number of years we can offer?

4. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

The good old american feet and inches should retire. It doesn't make sense to keep them when the whole world is usring metric system.

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

GATER, how then was Milwaukee able to give Flip Murray a two-year guaranteed, third year team option? (I'm pretty sure he got something like that). I think Boozer had something similar except that what's-that-GM did the bonehead thing and let him out (but we don't need to get into that again)

If it's possible, I definitely would like to give Petroleum Jelly ;) a third-year, be it guaranteed or team option.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Let's see... 100 is about 140 kilometers per hour; 90 is roughly the equivalent of 30 grams or so; and 2 means that you need to add some olive oil and/or feta cheese.

That makes him about 7'9" in American dollars.

Glad to be of help!

7. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

Why do you hate America? [/snark]

8. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

Hehehehehe!! Sweet.

9. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Dunk: I like VASELINE!!! also. You da man.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It is funny Americans still use the English measuring system when the British have discarded it long time ago. Do people realize how much easier it is to use metric sytem instead of this weird 16 ounce per pound and 12 inch per feet systme? It is truely amazing that people have so much problem with the metric system.:(

11. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

As an American, I agree completely.

12. GATER

JV -
    Neither the $1m exception nor the minimum can exceed 2 years in length. To exceed 2 years requires a 1st round rookie scale or some form of Bird Rights. Obviously, neither of those apply so that leaves only a MLE which can exceed 2 years.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

A Quarter Pounder with cheese is not that hard to figure out.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Vaseline is too long....plus the connotations...hmmm.

Vspan is the name. Others will catch on. I have faith in GATER. ;)

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

GATER,

If we cant sign Span to a 2 year contract with a team option for a 3rd then why were the Cavs able to do this with Carlos Boozer. Boozer was a 2nd round pick with a 3rd year as a team option.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

17. GATER

crash -
    That's the way it is or Larry Coon is wrong. Doubtful IMHO.

You are assuming Boozer had only 1 contract with CLE. It could easily be the case that Boozer's rookie season was a 1 year deal. And the 2nd season was on a different (2nd) contract. In that way, year 3 was the option year of his second Cavs' contract.

I looked all over and couldn't not find the parameters of the original contract. Maybe you'll have better luck. My faith is in Coon though. :)

EDIT:
    If the 3rd year of a 2nd rounders contract can be a team option, why is Kyle Korver a FA?

#37 GATER, May 21, 2005
    Last edited: May 21, 2005
  18. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

That is why Hakeem is Hakeem and why T-Mac, Yao, or anyone else will have to go leaps and bounds before being what Hakeem was for the Rockets.

For God's sake, we have a Rockets fan in ESTONIA that became a fan because of Hakeem.

I miss those days of the Dream Shake. Say what you will, but Houston basketball has not been the same since #34 left.

Actually, Houston sports have never been the same since #34 left. Ryan for the Astros. Campbell for the Oilers. Hakeem for the Rockets.

19. Bob

Bob Member

Wasn't there another thread on Spanoulis where he was quoted as saying he was planning to either resign with his current team in Greece or another Euroleague team for one more year?

But he hadn't definitively decided yet.

I want to say the quotes were within the last 3 days.

20. declan32001

declan32001 Member

from Bob:
    Yeah and apparently it was duplicated here: http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?threadid=96659

But somehow I missed the original thread and I do not understand why Spanoulis would want to stay in Europe if we're ready to give him a roster spot. I know JVG isn't likely to give him major minutes now, but it's also not likely JVG will if he gets here next season either.

22 is young, but it's a fairly average age of a rookie in the NBA and the scouting report on this guy is exactly what we need. JVG is bull-headed and is a little behind the times on pgs, but maybe Les could do a greater good for his bottom line by pulling out his major can of pg whoop-as*: Van Chancellor.

JVG's slightly psychotic, VC is fairly normal unless his pg makes a mistake and then the guy is completely insane. Sic that guy on Spanoulis' butt in camp - or even at Westside pick-up games - and you'll get a very unhappy human being with a major attitude that will do anything to shut Chancellor up.

I know Chancellor has a job, but given our travails at pg since '86 he might be able to sculpt one from some pretty raw materials. Besides, I think there are a couple of prominent Comets that would be happy to throw him a farewell party on a moment's notice.

In fact, if Spanoulis is just happy in Europe and really doesn't care about the money, send Chancellor anyway. He's quite capable of making pgs miserable in the safety of their own homes. And Chancellor can assure Spanoulis that JVG is a warm and fuzzy father figure by comparison. :D