1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spanoulis: "Houston likes me a lot"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hansgee, Jul 30, 2005.

1. hansgee

hansgee Contributing Member

Link- http://www.hoopshype.com/interviews/spanoulis_sierra.htmVassilis

Vassilis Spanoulis: "Houston likes me a lot"
    by Jorge Sierra / July 30, 2005

You were selected in the NBA Draft last year. Was that a surprise for you or were you expecting it?

Vassilis Spanoulis: Not totally surprised, but a little bit because I hadn't not gone to the United States to take part in workouts like most players do. I went to the United States, but only to Detroit. And the reason was to see the Finals with some people there, not to work out for teams. Houston was finally the team that took me. They had been watching me for thee years, since we took the European Championship in Lisbon with Greece. I was surprised with that, because I was thinking Detroit would take me. I thought they were very interested. But Houston made a trade with Dallas and picked me ahead of the Pistons. And it was a pleasure that Houston did that.

How did you find out that you had been selected?

VS: My agent called me and told me I had been drafted. It was great. And then the Rockets called me. They told me they have been watching me for a long time and that they were very, very, very excited to choose me.

What made you happier: being selected in the NBA Draft or playing in the Olympic Games with Greece?

VS: Oooh... That's a difficult thing. I'd say both. Playing for the national team is great, play for my country... 10 million people is watching you. That's a big thing. But on the other hand, playing in the NBA is my dream. I really want to play there. I can't say. I think you can't compare those two things.

Were you upset with the way things went in Athens for Greece?

VS: Not happy, but not upset. I think we took a good step, because the results of the national team in previous years had not been good. I think we had a good performance and that was a good first step to improve in the future. I have a lot of trust in the people in the national team and the talent we have there. I believe a lot in that group and I think we are going to make something big in future years.

You've had a great year with Maroussi. What do you think are the main reasons you improved so much this season?

VS: The faith in my game. Coach Yannakis had a lot of confidence in me and gave me a lot of freedom. The main thing is I have confidence in myself and I'm very ambitious for the future. I work a lot, many hours after practice. I work a lot on what have been my weaknesses. You know, my shot, my three-point shooting...

Did you stay in touch with the Rockets over the year?

VS: All the time. I spoke like two or three times a month with the Rockets management. Six or seven times some months. And after every game, I speak with the scouts of the team and they say "congratulations" and things about the game. I speak very often with the vice president of the team and they tell me they like me a lot and that they want me very much.

I guess the Rockets wanted you to play in the summer league with them. Why did you decide not to go?

VS: We decided it was the best thing that I take some rest and fix some small injury problems that I've had. I think it was the best to save my body for the national team a little bit and take care of some problems in the knee with a physiotherapist.

You recently signed with Panathinaikos, which is a very big team in Europe. It's a three-year contract, right?

VS: Yeah, three years.

Do you have a clause in the contract that would allow you to leave the team if the Rockets came calling?

VS: Yes, I have opt-out clauses. I have an opt-out clause after the first year of the contract. We decided we should put a buyout option in the contract and we reached an agreement on that.

Do you know how much money would that be?

VS: Hmmm... I think it's around $400,000 or something like that.

So it's pretty affordable.

VS: Yes, yes.

Why do you think Greek players – guys like Antonis Fotsis, Efthimios Rentzias and others – have not had success in the NBA so far?

VS: The way I see it, if you decide to go to the NBA, you must be 100 percent sure that's what you have to do. It was a great thing for them to go, but I think it's not good if you are not ready 100 pecent. The thing for me is to go there ready and play. Maybe things would have gone better for other players had they stayed one or two more years in Greece before going to the NBA.

If you had to describe yourself as a player, what would you say?

VS: First of all, when I hit the court, whether it is a one-one-one game or a real game, I never think that I can lose. I never want to lose and I never think the other teams is going to beat us. I'm very competitive, I have a lot confidence, I play hard and I always play aggressive.

Jorge Sierra is the editor of HoopsHype.com

2. micah1j

micah1j Member

Great Find.

Didn't know he had already signed a deal in Europe. I guess VS will be coming next year. $400K isn't that bad of a buy out.

3. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Sounds like he won't be here this year. His buyout doesn't kick-in until next year, so I guess Rox management had planned all along to leave him there this year, and maybe stand pat more-or-less on their PG for this year.

4. micah1j

micah1j Member

5. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

That clears up a lot of conflicting things about VS. I'm glad to hear that he is humble in his dream to play in the NBA and not being swayed financially as we all previously believed was his reason for staying in Europe and not playing in the summer league.

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Great Interview, answers a lot our questions.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Assuming the new CBA isn't changing this, the Rockets can put up $350,000 towards a buyout. It sure looks like the plan from the bell was to leave him in Europe one more year then bring him over.

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I agree, it's good to hear from the man himself rather than just speculation that he's chasing dollars in Europe.

Sounds like we're still going to have to wait at least a year to see what he can do, but at least it appears he's farther along than, say... Badiane.

9. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

Is that $400, 000 buy-out in Greek currency?

10. krocket

I am a big Badiane supporter, but I'd say VS was way ahead of Badman from the jump. I think that the Rox' thoughts of Badman's position have turned to center from power forward. That means for him to either go to the NBDL or Europe for as long as Motumbo is on board.

11. micah1j

micah1j Member

The buyout is probably in Euros that is why he said "I think it's around $400,000 or something like that." Greece uses the Euro now.

12. LFE171

LFE171 Member

I guess its great news. I really wanted to see him play this year. then again, one more year of waiting won't hurt. Looks like he won't get to be there for our 3rd championship season, but will be there for the 4th and maybe 5th if he resigns after his 1 year contract. :D

Never hurts to be optimistic!

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Hopefully, either VS or Head will develop into our PG of the future. That would leave SG as the only long-term position of need to address.

14. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

I think both guys will be PGs of the future. I don't think either guy will be 35 minute per game players. But those two are both in the rockets' plans as far as PG go. But there's a reason Spannoulis has a buyout after 1 year. I would expect him to be here in 2006.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I makes perfect sense to keep Spanoulis in Europe for one more year.

The Rockets have THREE PGs entering the final years of their contracts: after this season, (1) they have a team option on Moochie that they won't exercise; (2) they will likely buy out the last year of Ward's deal; and (3) James will probably opt out of his deal.

Assuming the Rockets don't make any further changes to their roster, and with Wesley's contract expiring, that would leave only Sura and Head in the backcourt.

Of course, the Rockets' roster could look entirely different in a few months.

16. Possum

Possum Member

I'm confused. Is a buyout clause and an opt out clause the same thing? Could there be a buyout the first year and after that an opt out? Could there be a (also) lost in translation?

VS: Yes, I have opt-out clauses. I have an opt-out clause after the first year of the contract. We decided we should put a buyout option in the contract and we reached an agreement on that.

Or VS: Yes, I have opt-out clauses. I have an opt-out clause after the first year of the contract. We (also) decided we should put a buyout option in the contract and we reached an agreement on that.

Just a thought. :confused:

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

In this case, I'm practically 100% sure that their use of "opt-out" and "buy-out" are completely the same.

18. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

I'm not too hopeful on Luther... I watched him some this past season and then in the NCAA Tourney, and never saw anything that would have led me to believe he'd be drafted, let alone in the first round. He seems like a guy like Nachbar, that has a good looking shot, it just doesn't go down. And people talk about him being clutch, and I know it was just one game, but he wasn't exactly lighting the Tarheels up from downtown, and especially when they really needed it at the end of the game. V-Span though I am excited about, and was glad to read that the main reason for him staying in Europe was because he had an injury he was nursing.

19. Possum

Possum Member

Why? First he uses the term "opt out clause". Then He swithces up and says
    "buyout option". Doesnt opt out mean he can just opt out of the contract and buyout means he has to fufill the monetary term of the contract?

20. krocket

That could mean he could be bought out right now, or opt out for nothing next year.