1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spanish team's controversial photo together

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by devin23, Aug 11, 2008.

1. devin23

devin23 Member

I remember yao saying things like shaq was just joking... yao was too nice back then.

2. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Those articles were about "JV & Elvis."

The show was cancelled three weeks after the show hosts Jeff Vandergrift and Dan Lay were suspended for making offensive Asian stereotypes during a prank phone call to a Chinese restaurant.

That's not true. If you read the articles you would see the mention of another "shock jock" show called Opie & Anthony. They constantly impersonate black people (with the stereotypical accent). They aren't allowed to do the same with Asians because of what happened to "JV & Elvis." Both shows worked for CBS radio.

Here is a song called "Black Earl." It's played on Opie & Anthony and the show that follows them. It about a producer named Earl Douglas. His nickname is "Black Earl." Get it? Yeah...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CDZSKi1IfJw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CDZSKi1IfJw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

4. ProjectRockets

According to the article, the picture was published by Spain's Basketball Federation. Isn't that like the equivalent of the NBA commissioner's office?

An individual team's decision to take such a photo shoot is one thing but a picture taken by the national team that is sanctioned, organized, and approved by Spain's Basketball Federation is totally on a different level. Team Spain may not be racist in the "burn a cross on your front lawn, let's hang some brown folks" sense, but they are sure ignorant as hell...just like some of the posters defending this crap.

I won't be surprise if there is minuscule mainstream news media coverage of this.

On a related note, I think Spain has been in the news in the past for their racist chants during soccer matches. And I believe if I am not mistaken...one of their Spanish soccer head coaches got in trouble for referring to opposing black atheletes as 'black piece of ####' during team practices.

5. DANgerous

DANgerous Member

Whoops, lol. I'm at work, so I simply looked at the names of the links. I assumed it was talking about Miss Jones.

Anyways, I still feel that people are much less sensitive towards racism against Asians than they are against other minorities. In fact, I just grabbed lunch at Jack in the Box and I was in disbelief at the toys they are including in the kid's meals. It was "Chop Socky Chooks", which featured slant-eyed caricatures of martial artists.

Ultimately, my main point is that what the Spanish team did IS offensive and no one, ESPECIALLY Asians should try to condone or justify it so readily.

6. FFz

FFz Member

LOL whats dumber is that the Spanish basketball team is sponsored by Li Ning... Thats right the same company whose figurehead lite the olympic torch.

7. snc

snc Member

:rolleyes:

This is childish, even for an internet message board. It's even more contradictory than it is childish. You (and the other children) calling me 'r****ded' for not *****ting a large brick at this completely harmless picture... tell me... how is it okay that you can use the word r****ded? Which is obviously meant as an insult since you followed it by rhetorically asking if I can count (yes I can, thanks for asking!).

I don't post much (this is why) but I really love this message board, and I really love the guy who invented the Ignore List. :cool: By the way, insults are totally the best way to win arguments and seem intelligent, keep it up.

8. snc

snc Member

I am sane-minded, and of course I know this will piss people off. I'm just saying, if it does piss you off.......... you need to get a grip.

They were only dumb for taking this picture because other people in the world are even dumber. But yeah, I mostly agree, except for your last sentence.

9. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

I apologize if what I said about you being r****ded has hurt your feelings. But let me respectfully explain that I was just being honest when I said that. I wouldn't call someone r****ded if I don't believe he/she deserve the descriptive term.

By the way, why did you avoid the second part of my post? I am still waiting eagerly for your response to it. Don't be long.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=3836749&postcount=54

10. daigakusee

daigakusee Contributing Member

Eh...not in good taste but nothing that harmful beyond that. (oh Azn here also)

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'm from hispanic heritage and no matter what ethnicity you are, you have to admit it's pretty stupid...

12. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

it may be racist in the us but in china i dont think most people would take the same offence. in general there's no so much pc stuff in china.

13. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

its stupid but i get snc's point. i mean, you got THIS worked up over the photo?

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I am sane-minded, and of course I know this will piss you off. I'm just saying, if it does piss you off.......... you need to get a grip.

You are a r****d.

Now, i do it in a very sarcastic way, and its funny to others, and it would not hurt anyone else, does that still justify my action?

15. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Utterly insensitive, and juvenile, the Spanish players should apologize because it is a racist gesture.

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I want you to take a good look at the following picture and think about why it's not acceptable now. The U.S. of A. has came a long way in term of racial tolerance. However, there are still more things to be done.

As a Chinese American, while I was offended by the Spain picture, I wasn't bent out of shape. However, I can see others that can be more sensitive and chose to voice their being offended. I don't think the appropriate response is to reprimand those that are offended for being to sensitive.

[​IMG]

#76 wizkid83, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  17. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

Comment: I don't disagree with anything that you said in your post.

Question: Did you quote my post by mistake?

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Yeah I made a mistake clicking, fixed.

19. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I'm offend and I think more Asians should be offended. Asian Americans seem to be the only minority that takes on an "appeasement, don't want to rock the boat" attitude. WTF people, someone's making fun of your racial features. Whatever the excuse it is, you should be at least a little upset.

Remember when "black faced" frat parties pictures posted on MySpace... How is this different???? The excuses were the same, "it wasn't racist, just harmless fun". Why are Asians-Asian Americans are conditioned so differently, and why are the rest of Americans conditioned to view Asians this way (docile and harmless)? I guess it's a subject for D&D.

btw... I am offended, and if you're not Asian, you wouldn't know how I feel.. so.. ummm don't tell me to get a grip.

20. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I wanna get this in since I'm actually banned from D&D. This is mostly to Asian Americans. Let me say that I'm Chinese American(born here) and don't really feel any attachment to China and certainly not to it's government, though I would love to go for a beer with Yuantian.

I was raised in Oakland, CA. As most people who's been there will tell you, it's about 30 percent or so Asian and the rest being mostly Blacks or Hispanics... or at least around my area. The white kids always got bussed to the hills for school. I didn't really have a sense of being a minority. But when I went to college, what bothers me alot is that the suburban Asian kids think they're an extension of the white kid next door. They're Caucasian Jrs. or something... The token Asian frat boys who look down on anyone with an Chinese accent. Anything racist against Asians are just shrugged off as "good fun" and laughed off. Not everyone's like that of course, but ya know... I don't care who you're comfortable hanging with, but when you're so dis-attached from your heritage and have an inferiority complex against your own race... you've got identity problems.

edit: these are the same Asians that get giddy when they're told they look part white. White people don't know what this means, but some Asians do.

#80 Kyakko, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008