1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spanish team's controversial photo together

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by devin23, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

its just classless. And for those that are still going to defend it, they really need to wake up and see the world.

3. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I don't think that is the point.

The point is that these Spanish players were dumb enough to take a picture like this in a photo shoot that could get posted on the internet. Why do something that dumb? Any sane-minded human would know this could piss people off.

It doesn't really matter what offends you or what you think shouldn't offend someone else. People are going to get pissed off obviously and they really don't care if you think it's dumb or not.

The world is obviously sensitive, but pushing the issue is just r****ded. These players deserve whatever comes to them.

4. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Big deal. It's classless but it's not racist. I agree it depends on whether you are easily offended. As a "fightback" or anything you call it, I can as well take a picture with my Chinese pals in Madrid holding our little fingers at our groins to ridicule their impotence. Do you think it would be racist then? :D

5. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Well said...exactly my sentiments...its classless but I don't think they mean any harm.

6. FFz

FFz Member

Those guys are idiots and anyone who is trying to defend them are ignorant.

7. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Wow, you got to be kidding me. I mean I only see this type of ignorant racism where a kid would pull this off. This is a well known stereotyping racism. The other would be the making a chinese sound.

I mean this might not be intended to be racist but I can't believe that the whole Spanish team would be dumb enough to pull this off. On top of that, they are in China.

8. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Uh huh. I am sure you would just bust out with "Stick and stones...."

It is a pretty stupid move. If the Olympics were in Africa and they took pics with blackface and afros, I am sure more people would be upset. This is the same thing in my mind.

I am not really shocked so many people are defending it. It seems to me that many are now just ignoring racial biases, slurs, etc. Trying to put their heads in the sand to act like it doesn't exist. I do think it is a slippery slope people are going down by not recognizing issues such as this.

9. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

so if the usa team went to iraq and wore turbans that wouldnt be ofensive? Your logic is retarted

10. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I dare you to go to China and pull that off. I double dare you to go to a large population of black civilians and start making monkey sound.

Ignorance is bliss. I'm sorry but you're just ignorant.

11. Precision340

Precision340 Member

12. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

This is indeed racist

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I think some have alluded to this, but what is most upsetting is that no one on the Spanish team apparently spoke up and said, "Hey...this is not a good idea guys."

Whether or not you are actually offended by the picture/action, it is pretty obvious it is in bad taste.

We all might make jokes regarding our ethnicity to people, but those people are often our friends. I'm sure the Spanish team thought of it as a joke, thing is, the picture doesn't really show that. You leave the action up to interpretation, and typically people interpret the worst.

In the end, it's just really poor judgment on the Spanish team's part.

14. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

Still trying to spin it? Why don't man up to answer everyone who has called you a r****d? Are you too dumb to count?

Why did you try to change the topic by bring up drawing? What's next? Painting? Sketching? Whoever with half a brain can see we are talking about imitating and making fun of people because of a specific racial feature, like fadeaway said in post #28. Making the 'slant eye' (which is well-known racist to anyone who is not ignorant) is as bad as making the monkey 'grunt' to insult the black soccer players in Series A (the Italian soccer league). Are you able to grasp it now?

15. DANgerous

DANgerous Member

I find that an alarming number of Asian Americans share a similar mindset. It really does nothing for the Asian American community other than perpetuate the "model minority" stereotype. Asian Americans have relegated themselves to position where we are FOREVER the butt of all jokes. And we are complacent about it. It's gotten to the point where it is "safe" to make fun of Asian ethnic groups. It's so ridiculous that people actually get offended if WE get offended, as if we are not entitled to decide what is offensive towards our people.

Who remembers Rosie O'Donnell, are her entire "ching chong" thing? Or how about Miss Jones at Hot97? Their attitude was similar to some of what I've heard on this board: "What's the big deal? It's just a joke, laugh it off... Get a sense of humor... etc. etc." I've been to parties where strangers have made Asian jokes to my face. And I'm expected to simply laugh it off? And if I do get offended, its like "Yo whats the big deal? Its just a joke."

Well I think its all BS. I feel that Asian Americans are way to complacent. There's no other minority group that sits back and gets **** on like Asians. Not Blacks, not Jews, not the Gay community, not the NRA, PETA, Latinos, Muslims, Scientologists and here are the Chinese, with the largest emigrant population out of every country in the world and there are members of our own community saying "People need thicker skin, its not offensive, its ok. It's just a joke." Maybe if its a comedian performing a routine, ok. But at the most revered, most public athletic competition in the world? A stage that is actually meant to promote globalization and mutual understanding? AND your "humor" is directed towards the host country???? Straight ridiculousness. Give me a break.

16. DANgerous

DANgerous Member

It would be absolutely outrageous if Miss Jones didn't get fired for what she did. My point is simply that people like her will target Asian ethnicities because they don't fear the repercussions. They feel that it is "safe" to make fun of Asians.

I kinda mention it in my above rant.

What you can't argue is that people are much less afraid to make fun of Asians than they are to other minorities. I've had strangers say outright racist things to me, expecting me to laugh at their joke.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

u guys remember when shaq sent his message to yao right? even he had to apoligize for that.

also what if gasol made this gesture during a lakers rockets game, cool?

18. AGBee

AGBee Member

Shaq approves of this picture.

Anyway, whose brilliant idea was it for the team to pose for this picture? "Hey guys....team picture time. Everybody do the slanty eyes so that we'll remember we were in China! YEAH!".

19. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Wow. Does Spanish team not have a PR person or something? And there is not a single person on the team thought that this is a bad idea?

And for those of you who doesn't think this is racist, try paint your face black and walk around tell people that it's just a harmless joke.

20. devin23

devin23 Member

Amen to that. Sometimes, I think asians WANT to be the model minority. Therefore, they don't speak up about things that might offend them.