1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spanish team's controversial photo together

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by devin23, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Leftist brotherhood eh? More like leftsist faghood.

2. NADman

NADman Member

As a Chinese, I am truly offended by this crap. But one thing I know is none of these Spanish athletes has the balls to do this slant eye gesture in front of an Asian person's face. If they do, I gaurantee those ignorant Spanish racist fools will get a whooping!

3. SkipToMyLou22

SkipToMyLou22 Member

ROFLMAO.

I don't see why everyone's make a huge deal out of this, it doesn't seem like they're purposely trying to be seriously insulting/offensive - I thought they were doing it as a joke or something lol.

Yes I'm Asian (half chink) and it doesn't really bother me unless they meant it in a way to really insult Chinese people. Like if they started doing some other racist **** and taking it to another level, then well I wouldn't be so nice xP.

rn_xw: "normal Chinese people"? So what's a weird Chinese person :S

4. MD_in_Training

What's taking it to the next level? Do they have to actually use racial slurs to offend you? This picture, along with making "Asian" lingual sounds, is very evidently a form of racial insult.

5. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

gawd... This is why as a group I think we deserve every stereotype thrown on us. We don't have a right to complain anymore. We should apologize to Rosie O'donnel, cuz she's made it clear it was a joke. I'd love to see this shown on billboards as long as they mean it as a joke. DAMMIT, where are those aliens :mad:

It's understandable sometimes when other races don't get it, but it kinda actually hurts when other Asian Americans don't get it.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. I for one apologize to the spanish national team... now i know that they meant it as a joke and if any white person did it to me and meant it as a joke..I'll just smile and laugh.

#265 Kyakko, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are the Spanish racist - no, I don't think so.

Were they insensitive? Absolutely.

So it really depends. If they don't mind being insensitive and don't think it's wrong, I don't think they should apologize. After all, Asians do have slanted eyes.

Asians could make fun of caucasians for being hairy. But anyway, it was tasteless and not very sportsmanlike - and they should know it. But if they get a laugh out of it, more power to them.

7. Kyakko

I know... i don't think they're racist nor do i think they knew what they did either, but it's still not right and there still should be an apology after the fact.

edit: I've come to accept the notion, after skiptomylou's post, that we as a group are chronic passive aggressors... I'll have to think about this more.. but alwellz....

#267 Kyakko, Aug 17, 2008
  8. Kyakko

nope... I've thought about this, and there's no way I'd take the photo as acceptable. I can't do it... were it on a billboard, and if I had kids, would I mind knowing it was just a joke? I just can't see it the way some Asians Americans here see it. Help me out.

#268 Kyakko, Aug 17, 2008
  9. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I would argue that the "slanted eye" gesture is not inherently an insult to a physical peculiarity of Asians, in the same way one who makes fun of obesity, fat lips, being hirsute, or "greasy". It is similar to insulting someone by using the word n*****, or f**, or wet****; all these words or images emphasize that the receiving minority is part of the "other", and therefore, on some level should be subservient to the Caucasian majority. N***** gets its power from historical context, wet**** emphasizes that one is not a natural born citizen of the country, and f**'s original meaning was a young boy who had to do tasks for an older master in English boarding houses.

For Asian-Americans in particular, the "slant-eye" gesture conjures up similar images of domination and subservience; where Chinese workers were brutally discriminated against because of their physical features, or how Japanese-Americans were sent to internment camps because of their features (while Italians and Germans were allowed to remain free because "they couldn't be easily identified"). Every time one makes a reference to "slant eyes", the idea of being "the other" is reinforced.

Being identified as "the other", I would argue, is one of the hardest stereotypes to shed. You can prove that you are intelligent, courageous, hard-working, moral (or none of these); but how do you prove that you are "one of the majority?" When people look at my face and instantly think "Asian" first, then "American", or when I say I'm from Hawaii, and people ask me "no, where are you REALLY from?", you understand why "slant eye", while maybe not demeaning my physical appearance, is a powerful negative racial symbol.

In dealing with racism, however, it is important to make a distinction between "racist actions" and "racists". Calling someone a racist is a complete waste of breath. Immediately, a debate about the power and inappropriateness of a gesture or word turns into an attack on one's personal beliefs. Whether one is a racist or not, psychologically, we will fiercely defend ourselves against accusations made on our character.

It is in discussing why a racially charged gesture is inappropriate, and how it can be corrected, that change and progress can truly be made. Someone who is truly a racist will refuse to change, or simply cannot; either way, their views will be clearly known. Someone who really didn't know any better will be more willing to modify their behavior and think more carefully about it the next time. By educating people why their BEHAVIOR is wrong, rather than attack them personally, perhaps it can be prevented in the future.

In the case of the Spanish National Team, I do believe that they did not intend to cause harm; however, this does not make their actions acceptable on any level. I believe that the media has handled the situation extremely poorly; almost everywhere I read about it, it immediately turned into a story about rampant racism in Spain, making it a character story rather than a condemnation of the act itself. Spain responded as any logical government would, spending more time defending its morals and justifying the actions of its athletes (trying desperately to shed the "racist" tag), rather than making an apology for the act and pledging to educate its athletes/photographers/advertisers more on proper conduct.

As a closing thought, I would recommend watching the South Park episode "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson". Realize that just because one Asian-American or Li Ning spokesperson says that it's OK does not mean that others find it acceptable or "harmless", but also realize that those who do commit a tasteless act don't necessarily deserve the label of "racist"; they deserve to know why their actions aren't right, and given a chance to change.

10. Kyakko

wasn't i trying to say that? ;)

11. mw_mw

mw_mw Member

WTF???? I swear either they have 0 IQ or their head got smashed between the doors.
    I am offended.

12. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

And don't forget, VERY good at Calculus.

13. frm

frm Member

I truly think racism is everywhere. Any caucasian would tell you how he/she REALLY think about black, asian if they are being honest in real.

And I'd say vice versa as well, being a non-caucasion, I truly don't mind if one day the population changes entirely and ONE ethnic group got wiped out completely.

I am not pointing at anyone, but you know I am telling the truth. Go outside and talk to someone DIFFERENT, and try to make sense of what you feel (deep) at that moment.

We just have to bear that. This is human nature. I guess the only way to solve the problem is to mix.

Thank god/buddha/Martin L King it takes two to reproduce.

peace

14. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Yup. I sort of just assume that most people won't actually read anything longer than 2-3 paragraphs anyway, so I'm both impressed you read it, and disappointed I didn't get to support your point earlier, when the people who needed convincing were still reading this thread. Still, I couldn't let a good topic about the perception of Asians go by the wayside without my thoughts...

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Bleh, it seems Spanish sporting figures and some of thier more hooligan fans are racist as crazy or just plain dumb for those who haven't figured it out...anybody remember the SN football team manager calling Thierry Henry a black "s***"? Or Lewis Hamilton in Barcelona?

...So I'm not terribly surprised.

16. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

**** Spain. Their entire team is full of *ussies, led by Gasol and their next generation *ussy, Ricky Rubio.

17. redao

redao Member

I totally agree. Racism is everywhere, and racism is extermely harmeful for a society that with mixed races, like in USA. I feel very upset that my 3 year old son was doing that slanted eye thing to me after he came back from the daycare and I can not tell my son that it is racism or it is for fun or stop doing it or stop letting anyone else doing it to you.....

There is no cure for the racism if the racism is considered a joke or something you can teach your children.

18. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

Luis Aragones is a natural joker, you don't know him.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Oh, he's a natural joker. So then it's okay.

Thanks soooooooo much for clearing that up.

I may have to rethink that whole Michael Richards thing now, 'cause he was a pretty funny guy, too.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nicely done, HM. Kudos for the effort.