1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spanish team's controversial photo together

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by devin23, Aug 11, 2008.

1. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

By the way, I noticed one of the Chinese gymnastic gold medalists put his hands over his head (in a bull kind of way) to mock the Spanish after his event today - much to the delight of the crowd which cheered loudly.

So...if they thought it was racist and hurtful, why would they retaliate in similar fashion?

#221 3814, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

Why would you have this kinda passive aggressive behavior? Read my post on page 9 on my thoughts about this symbolism. I'm proud of my slanted eyes.. but boy, if some white guy in the streets did this randomly at me, I'm sure as hell NOT going to thank him.

3. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

"Imitation is the greatest form of flattery" you friggin kidding me?? I personally am proud of features that make me unique. but AGAIN what if the Spanish players painted themselves black?? What if they painted themselves brown? What if africans painted themselves white as a ghost in "imitation" of the pale skins of caucasians??

It is racist no matter HOW MUCH you guys try to spin it.

4. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Agreed Spanish_Rox_Fan,

Again, I have nothing against Spanish people in general. And this photo is hardly any reason to call out all Spanish people anything. You, clearly, are a very well-spoken and well-mannered person. It's also refreshing to hear your perspective of Spain and sports in Spain.

I appreciate your diplomatic reply.

:) :) :)

amigoSAGE

5. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

I personally don't condone racist reaction as a revenge, but you have answered your own question. It is precisely that they are upset thats why they are reacting in this manner.

6. freshtomato

freshtomato Member

I would think that it is amusing and naive but I wouldn't take offense.

7. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Neither act seemed racist to me. Both were inappropriate, but I suppose I probably reserve the term "racism" for more serious actions.

9. MD_in_Training

Well, technically, having Asian features makes you one of a few billion, and not unique (assuming you're Asian)
    Anyways, I fail to see the humor at all in imitating any other race. What exactly was Spain trying to say with this gimmick?

10. MD_in_Training

Aside from these imitations lacking any sort of comedic effect, they also depend heavily on the historical context.
    For African Americans, their hair texture, relatively large lips, and dark skin were used as symbols for the derogatory image that white Americans imparted onto them. African Americans were slaves in the United States, and the latent racism behind using such physical characteristics stems from this fact.
    The same goes for Asian features. However, there are very few (if any) derogatory representations of white Europeans or white Americans, because they have never been in a state of persecution in the history of Western civilization. If the table was turned, and African nations were the most powerful during the colonial period, while importing Caucasian slaves from Western Europe, then today's use of Caucasian features would be deemed inappropriate or racist.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes that movie was offensive considering how awful it was.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this post deserves to be quoted again and it expresses my sentiments too. I don't believe the Spanish or racist and I have strong doubts whether the National Team players are either. What they are though is ignorant and classless and at the minimun they should recognize that rather than offer up lame excuses. Whether it was their intent to offend or not that is the result.

13. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

The Spanish players were talking about context of the picture, but it is important to notice that there is a huge difference between taking a team photo that represents 45 million people and some comedian making jokes at a comedy store. Just imagine if the US Team had done this.

14. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

lmao, u serious?

15. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

I don't believe every person on the spanish national team hates Chinese people but to make such a gesture is quite ... (insert w/e derogatory word here) for them to do. "We didn't intend for it to be offensive." Well okay, but you did. It's like Shaq's making a Chinese accent and having been blasted by Chinese people for racism. Is shaq racist? I think He really likes and respects Yao. But at the same time, he realizes he was insensitive and ignorant for doing what he did and he apologized if he offended anyone. The spanish team did not apologize. All they did was say "we didn't mean to offend anyone." There's no "we made a mistake" in there statements at all.

You also gotta think ... This is in freakin' beijing. You don't go to the hometown of the olympics and make an insulting gesture for the public to see ... c'mon now.

"We felt it was something appropriate, and that it would be interpreted as an affectionate gesture," Calderon, who plays for NBA's Toronto Raptors, wrote on his ElMundo.es blog. "Without a doubt, some ... press didn't see it that way."
    (espn article)

wow. no kidding. how the **** does slanting one's eyes an affectionate gesture to chinese people?

"We don't think this is an insulting gesture to the Chinese," Zhang said. "In fact, the gesture shows that the Spanish team is so humorous, relaxing and cute. They sat around a dragon pattern, which we think showed respect to the Chinese.
    (espn article)

i'm sure 2 billion people don't see what they did as humorous, relaxing, cute, or respectful." I don't.

in conclusion ...

I can't wait for Yao to kick the crap outta Gasol every single time we play the Lakers. But ... knowing Yao, he probably wont hold any grudge or resentment but nonetheless will own gasol anyway.

16. DANgerous

DANgerous Member

People in this thread have either had no experience at all with ethnic diversity or are just lying. Pulling your eyes to slits is clearly an insulting gesture. I got it when I was in elementary school, I got it once a few weeks ago when the driver of the car behind me thought I wasn't driving fast enough.

17. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

If they were behind you, how did they know you were asian?

18. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

19. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

It took me a while, but after reading all the post from non-Asians and Asian Americans alike, I think I'm starting to understand the psychology if this thing. The problem with the Asian posters is that they assume everyone else should automatically understands the cogitations that comes with the slanted eye gesture. It's been drilled into our heads, used over and over by whites as an insult to our race... as much as the "n" word is for African Americans. (btw... I'd love to hear an African American's side to this, perhaps Another Brother)

On the other hand, you have some non-Asian posters that just don't have the experience to fully understand. Some people here only have seen this gesture for the first time. They're just not sensitized to this because there is no Jessy Jackson or CNN shows like (the African American Experience) equivalent to stir-up awareness. It's funny the Asian posters need to frequently compare this to African American hate symbols to get others to get an inkling of what it means to Asians (at least Asian Americans).

Weird... but screw it. I still waiting for the Martians to come and clean up this how mess by blowing everyone up.

#239 Kyakko, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  20. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

good post.