1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spanish team's controversial photo together

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by devin23, Aug 11, 2008.

1. FFz

FFz Member

I think the problem is that many asian americans were bullied this way as children. It brings up bad memories for many ppl.

Someone on that team had to have known this would offend someone. From the Yahoo article it sounds like Jason Kidd knew it would piss off someone. And from the outcry the photo pissed of a lot of people.

2. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Just to be fair...

I equally HATE the subtext of racism AMONG Asians toward other races as well. Racism is generally thought of as a sense of superiority of one's own race over others. With some Chinese people, at the risk of generalizing, I've noticed that the Chinese are quick to observe the superiority of others. For example, I know lots of Chinese people of my generation and the ones before who sincerely believe black people are generally more gifted in sports and athletics than most all other races. Is it racism? Perhaps. loosely defined perhaps yes. Alternatively, there are stereotypes where many peoples in America who see Asian Americans as naturally gifted with math and science. Is it racism? Perhaps. Yet, it's not all things blasphemy.

But it's when ONE race is calling itself superior via mockery of OTHER races where the full negative stigma of racism rears its head. You see it frequently in history when some country rises to power. But we're in the 21st century for Christ's sake. And for something like sports where, in the spirit of competition, and where real superiority in a given sport is established via winning... you'd think there should be little in bragging rights until the outcome is determined AND that there'd be greater respect among athletes for their fellow athletes.

Bottom line is I wouldn't be this wound up if I thought it was the Spanish team's INTENT to be racist in the way of hating the Chinese. I have no doubt in my mind that it wasn't their intent on spreading a message of hate. I DO think that it was totally dumb, ignorant, and truly in POOR POOR taste to the host country to do such a thing. And this needs to be called out - FOR EVERYONE to know. I know that not all Spaniards would do as such b/c some in the popular eye have been just outright classy. Take Rafael Nadal for example. Every time he wins OR loses, he is just so humble, so classy, and so respectful of not only his opponent, but his host country and host audience. Last I checked, he's from Spain.

So NO, I don't Spanish people are evil. I don't think this is reason for WWIII. I DO think the follow up response for members of the Spanish team made things worse when they could have made things better.

Whether it be sports or life, a little humility goes a long way.

calmerSAGE

3. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

best post so far

I think it would be wrong for anyone to judge Spain and its people based on how their athletes conduct themselves. Even thought it the picture isn't necessarily "racist" as the term implies believing that one race is somehow more dominant or better than the other, it shows a great deal of insensitivity and stupidity not to understand the ramifications of their actions.

4. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

read my posts on page four :) and hellllll no, among Asian American new-comers, embellishing about themselves and their family is an art (tongue-in-cheek).

#204 Kyakko, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It's offensive to me that making yourself look like an asian person is somehow offensive, as if having eyes like that is something to be ashamed of. I just don't get it.

It's not funny or offensive, it's just dumb.

6. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

According to some people's logic, a few posters should be apologizing to you now because you were offended...since it's not people's intent, but rather the effect that truly matters.

7. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

to be fair, the photo wasn't intended for asian americans like you. its target is people in china. and guess what people in china are finding it funny or at least not offended by it, as far as i can tell.

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

i know, you are not intent to born dumb, but the effect is that you are just dumb.

well, i can say that showing you my middle finger is how i greet my frens, it just meant that i'm lazy to raise my other 4 fingers to say hi. So is that an offense to you? as it certainly not my intention so.

Tell me again, how is making the slanty eyes as being respectful (in the words of the Spanish team)?

or tell me why you see it as funny(if you think its funny)?

I see it as a mockery of the physical state, same as the chinease used to call europeans as 'red hair' or 'white ghost'.

9. Good Times

Good Times Member

I am from China and I find it offensive. I also find it offensive to Japanese, Koreans, and all other Asian races.

10. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I was going to respond to your first line...but your 2nd paragraph makes you look dumber than anything I could have ever said.

It's not being respectful...nor is it funny. I'm just saying I don't believe it's racist...just stupid.

11. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

just think about the term "sometimes the ends don't justify the means".

The end picture may not be that offensive to people and that is very understandable. i mean it's just a picture of spanish players slanting their eyes. And I believe that some of you who are defending the spanish basketball team's actions are defending the picture rather than the thoughts and preparations it took to produce the picture.

The means that it took to produce such a picture is what should be offensive to everyone here unless some are really racist or ignorant. Because if one thinks about the preparation and the thought process that it took to produce such a photo, the racist or either fool-hardy attempt to be comedic is imminent. Just think about it. The photographer or whoever came up with the idea for the photo was like, "Hey guys let's make our eyes slanted!" And of course, the players laughed because it is a common stereotype that Chinese people have slanted eyes. It's not like it was a spur of the moment picture that one takes at a party or an outing probably when they're drunk, but it was a group photo which takes some organizing and preparation to get everyone ready in the proper positions etc. Sure, it might have been in good fun, but it's not like they did not know they were going to produce a potentially controversial picture. They knew they were wrong to do it, but did it anyway because they didn't forsee the picture to be leaked.

Might be a bad analogy, but premeditation is a factor in determining a the severity of a crime. And in this case there was much premeditation, so the intention of slanting the eyes was definitely maligned.

Hopefully you guys understand.

12. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

so now its stupid?

so whats next? Its borderline racist?

13. NADman

NADman Member

This slant-eye gesture is totally racist! It's no difference than putting on fake fat lips and eating watermelons and fried chickens to mock African descent people. Totally tasteless and racist!

14. Spanish_Rox_Fan

;)

--------------
    SageHare6..
    amiga=friend
    fiesta=party
    :confused:

----------

in Spanish fooball there's no racism, all teams have black players in their roster, Samu Eto'o loves Spain...Alvin Choo, you're ignorant..don't believe all you read or see in news, in Spain racism
    widespread..
    these deplorable facts in football are REMOTE, R-E-M-O-T-E
    you can't judge every spanish people because of one, two, three.. deplorable cases

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I know I'm late, but I laughed.

16. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

huh? You serious? What if they painted themselves black to show their "love" for Africans? Or if Africans painting themselves white?

You get a grip, it is offensive! Not to mention that Spain lately have a history of being racist towards athletes in other sports, aka football.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The thing people are confused about is why its ok for comedians and other people in public to make racial comments towards somebody but not ok in this scenario.

Well, if you're going to a comedy show, you expect mockery of race, its expected and you are free to join. In many comedy shows they even claim they mean no harm before then. In the public, you often get name callings once in a while.

However, in this case, making something public, with the approval of a nation, is not right. Once in a while a racist joke is alright. I tell my friends that it might offend them before I tell them a racist joke. In this case, mocking a race public and published is not right. The thing is, you would think they know better than to mock another country, but they don't. This is why they're offended.

I'm gonna say this, America is also a very racist country, and those who represent the country may be racist as well, but at least they're not stupid enough to mock another country in public, not to mention something that will appear all over the world.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

well said

19. freshtomato

freshtomato Member

What's wrong with having slanted eyes? Can you not see as well? Are you ashame of your eyes? Be proud of what you have and if someone pulls their eyes back then thank them because imitation is the greatest from of flattery.

20. Spanish_Rox_Fan

****ing ignorant..

me das pena :(
    despojo