1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spanish Radio] Sergio Llull close to deciding to join the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jun 3, 2015.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Delaying the signing might make sense, in a small way, if Morey doesn't want to show his hand. Say he wants to work out a sign-and-trade for LMA. Let Portland at least have the doubt of our point guard strength during negotiations.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

3. Mr Chuck Norris

Can we still resign brewer? Oh lord that fast break would be lethal with him and lull

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Are the same fans that are totally in love with Llull the same fans think DMo should be the center-piece of this team? Is there such a thing as EOFs (Euro Only Fans)?

5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe but I really like D-Mo, Swiss Chocolate and I think Llull will be a great piece for this roster but I love Ariza/Harden/Howard/Bev/Jet/Brewer and sometimes Smith too.

Llull has skills, if you watch any fair amount of Euroball you can tell which guys have the game for NBA. He has it. He might struggle to adjust the 1st 30-40 games but his talent/confidence will take over eventually. I really think he matches this CURRENT roster perfectly. If all we do is resign key guys and get Llull we will be tough to knock out. Just need D-mo to improve a little more and we got the Championship.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I like Llull and really like his game. I think D-Mo is overrated personally, but desperately hope I am wrong. Assuming the D-Mo can overcome his back surgery and get back on track however, I am really happy with where he is headed. Llull's game is the perfect fit for Rockets next to Harden and Howard and should be able to spell Harden as both a ball handler and playmaker of a pick and roll.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="es" dir="ltr">Ayer en barajas me encontre a Kevin Mchale, vendria a por Sergio Llull? <a href="https://twitter.com/marca">@marca</a> <a href="http://t.co/4MmkoHkZLd">pic.twitter.com/4MmkoHkZLd</a></p>&mdash; CΔRLITOS (@CharlitoMc) <a href="https://twitter.com/CharlitoMc/status/615905512077586432">June 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

McHale is in Madrid according to this tweet. I guess he will be forgoing the Aldridge meeting for a chance at Sergio's heart. Or maybe he got his fill of tapas and is on his way back to Los Angeles this morning just in time for the meeting tonight.

1 person likes this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Probably the me realistic signing. Definitely hoping we get Llull over here.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

All in on Lulz!

10. Houston288South

This guy is super-hyped and I hope he can back it up for us IF he signs with us. I trust Morey, but how could we be so high on him when he hasn't even played an NBA minute? Do any of you think he could be a Top 10 PG in the West? If not, it doesn't really solve our issue at PG

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Iffy.

Clippers - Chris Paul
    Grizzlies - Mike Conley
    Jazz - Dante Exum/Trey Burke
    Kings - Darren Collison/Andre Miller/Ray McCallum
    Lakers - D'Angelo Russell/Jordan Clarkson
    Mavs - Devin Harris/Ray Felton
    Nuggets - Ty Lawson/Emmanuel Mudiay
    Pelicans - Jrue Holiday
    Rockets - Sergio Llull
    Spurs - Tony Parker
    Suns - Eric Bledsoe
    Thunder - Russell Westbrook
    TWolves - Ricky Rubio
    Blazers - Damian Lillard
    Warriors - Stephen Curry

12. Space City

Space City Member

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here yet. If so, I'd appreciate anyone directing me toward the discussion, but:
    What does the Harrell selection mean to our courting of Llull?
    Because 2nd round picks must be signed with either cap space or salary cap exceptions, I -- like many -- expected us to grab a draft and stash Euro with our 2nd round pick, assuming we kept it. That would allow us to offer the full MLE to Llull. Now, if we do sign Harrell, that will cost at least ~500,000 off the top. Could there be other tricks we may use to sign Harrell?

13. edward nigma

edward nigma Member

Sergio better be on the first thing smoking to Houston tomorrow.

14. hakeemthagreat

I agree. Like I've said before, Morey could bring Bryce Drew or Brent Price back to the Rockets and a few on here would be celebrating like we've got our 3rd star. To some he does no wrong. Morey's obsessed with doing things unconventionally, and will bypass a simple solution just to swing for the fences. Sergio Llull has done absolutely nothing to be coveted the way Morey has coveted him. I could be 100% wrong. But I don't think he'll be a upgrade over Bev. Which makes his contract that much more ridiculous. Steph Curry, CP3 & WB will have fun against us next year

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

No, come on, now, hakeem....don't hold back.

What do you REALLY think of Sergio Llull?

Well, yeah but, there's some gray area there. Was that sarcasm?

I guess we should trade for Lowry? Or Lawson? That'd be nice, but what about Llull?

Hey let's give Llull a chance. Whadda ya say?

Great draft, huh?

We're probably not chasing a top-flight point guard because Llull's probably coming over. Hope it doesn't give you an aneurysm.

By now you should know: Morey is a power forward-groupie. Has always coveted a top power forward over a top point guard but knows we need someone else to run the offense at times. Llull could be a middle-of-the-pack guy at worst in the WC, and that's a step up over Pat (whom I would also like to see return).

2 people like this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

From the man himself:

1 person likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You bet Morey sees something you aren't seeing. Llull's numbers for Real Madrid in the playoffs were outstanding this past season. He shot 40% from 3, 80% from the free throw line, and averaged 4.7 assists with 1 turnover. That's an assist to turnover ratio of 4.7 to 1, and he has a very long history of not turning the ball over. He can play both backcourt spots, and would be able to both play with Harden effectively, and sub for him, which we really need. He has very good size for a point. Every bit of 6'3" and at least 200 lbs. And he's clutch. Unafraid to take the game winning shot, and he makes them more often than not. He's great in the pick and roll, great in transition, and he's a good defender. If he does come here, you'll soon change your tune, in my humble opinion. That's if he comes here. I think he will.

1 person likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

On a team that is loaded with NBA talent, Sergio Llull was the only player this season to start every single game.

So arguably the most important player on the best team in Europe.... There is something there obviously.

If some of you guys are just going to continually bash every Euro player Morey wants because you want guys that you know that used to be good like Shaun Marion, that's fine.

But with all the gambles Morey has taken with overseas players, Sergio Llull looks so far to be the best bet.

Will he pan out.... Who the hell knows, but if you can't see that this is probably a good bet (and might look like a great bet if we find out how team friendly the contract is in years 2 - 3), then you are pretty closed minded in terms of roster building.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

The bar has been set very low. The Rockets don't need a star PG just a starter. We saw the upgrade benefits of Terry + Prigioni even on their old legs over Lin.

It's a good thing McHale is the one tasked to recruit Llull. He's going to be given opportunities. He'll need to really stink up the place to enter the doghouse. 'Cause this shows how the coach personally wants him on the team.

A bigger issue is PF or even back up C. Fans are raving about Capela but the Rockets D suffered when Dwight sat and he couldn't grab rebounds in the playoffs, no one could. There is a frontcourt issue Morey needs to solve.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll add, Dobro, that Les paid Denver $2,250,000 million for the 2nd round pick that landed us Llull's rights. I think that was a record at the time. Llull's been valued by the organization for several years. The trick has been getting him to come over. Personally, I think he's ready to make the move. Sergio has nothing more to prove in Europe. This past season saw him reach every goal, in my opinion.