1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Southwest sees speaking Arabic as a threat - kicks man off flight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So we've got a guy speaking terrorist on a plane and another guy who speaks terrorist told security that he was uncomfortable with what the first guy was saying in terrorist? Looks like they did the right thing.

2. Granville

Granville Member

It was also a comment confirmed by anyone else.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Your argument is that statistically the fact that this guy is rare in nature is accounted for because even though you are choosing from a sample size of millions the number of events is so high it should be highly possible someone like him would be chosen.

The alternative is that a guy with multiple islamaphobia interests, interests in the politics of the middle east, interest in being on the news, is picked out of a population of millions.

Look at this post. No r****ded rhetorical questions and I was able to show why your argument is flawed. You post has four.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Major getting pwned badly.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah this guy is pretty stupid. Saying Allah Akbar on a plane isn't going to raise any eyebrows at all.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Odds dude is a legit terrorist and was making credible threats? Super small.

Odds dude is an attention seeking w**** who booked a flight to purposefully manufacture this controversy? Super small.

Odds this is a misunderstanding that just coincidentally happened to target an SJW? Larger than super small.

7. Major

Major Member

Not if you understand basic math.

It's not like we get news reports like this every day. If it happens, say, 10 times a day around the country, that's ~3600 incidents a year. A handful of them might get media attention. Of those, the ones that do most likely would be from the most vocal of those 3600 people.

Or if none speak up, you'd never hear about and never think anything of it. There are probably lots of other incidents around the country that fit that category (not airplane related). You're not counting them in your "sample" because it's never occurred to you they are happening because no one happen to speaks up in those situations.

8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'm hoping they kick anyone off a plane that has loud conversations. That's annoying AF!

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I wonder how much Arabic this other passenger spoke. It could just be a smattering the lady had and she totally misconstrued the guy's phone conversation, and now Southwest's PR firm is talking up her language expertise as a defense against criticism. As far as conspiracy theories go, I will much sooner believe that a company's spokesman found a clever way to deflect blame than that CAIR conspired with some college kid to create a persecution event to make a splash in the news. Seriously, that (and the affiliated clock kid conspiracy) sounds crazy.

I wonder if his accuser was able to stay on the flight. I haven't seen an indication either way. I would think the FBI would want to interview her as well, assuming it really was the content of the conversation that interested them. Seems pretty crappy you can accuse someone and get them thrown off a plane and then just go on your merry way.

1 person likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How do you know it happens ten times a day?

Just from my own experience of being brown and my mother who wears a hijab and flys routinely by herself to visit relatives back in Houston from Boston, she never reported being discriminated in any of her flights.

#50 fchowd0311, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  11. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I'm going to try this the next time I don't like the guy next to me.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I doubt it goes as far as him collaborating with CAIR before the flight as if it was some long drawn out elaborate plan.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you punish people for speaking up, then they won't speak up. You want an environment where if people see or hear something, they say something.

Could this be an intentional stunt like the "clock kid"? Possibly, could it be that the guy just wasn't careful with what he said assuming that no one around would understand him anyway? Possibly.

Either way, it doesn't matter. This is how the system is supposed to work, if a couple of people get inconvenienced in order for the rest of the passengers to feel safe, so be it. That's the difference between government and private business. The goal is to make the bulk of their passengers feel safe, not to worry about how doing so might make one passenger upset.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What would you do if you were a flight attendant when a passenger comes to you to complain about someone having a conversion in Arabic about "martyr", "UN", and "insha allah" and tells you that they (an Arabic speaker) found the conversation disturbing/troublesome?

What do you do?

Go.

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Wonder how stupid you have to be to actively announce a planned terrorist attack via cell phone.

#55 Northside Storm, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  16. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

This whole thing is a distraction--there are plenty of examples where America de facto or de jure suspends civil liberties for Muslims, several much more insidious than getting kicked off a plane.

We live in an age where because of all this f**kwad panic about terrorism, seven pages stood between the President and killing any American without trial, a power overwhelmingly used to kill Americans, both on purpose and "accidentally", in Muslim-majority countries. Personally, I don't know why people would bother to focus on s**t service from Southwest if they were trying to highlight the excesses of anti-Islamic sentiment.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's telling that people here are assuming that the guy was trying to create a controversy vs. get home. Shows you the level of bias against Muslims and how they rationalize it.

I mean bobbytheracist there is openly calling Arabic "terrorist". haha.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is not basic math. This is total speculation.

I fly hundreds of times a year, very often with Arabic and recognizably Muslim passengers on the plane. I never see anything like this.

Here is some basic math for you:

If it happens, say, 0 times a day around the country, that's ~0 incidents a year.

Unless someone who has 4 books about "Islamophobia" on his desk, a direct dial to CAIR and a clear interest in portraying followers of Islam as victims of an alleged discrimination WANTS to have an incident.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

People consider that as a possibility because of similar things that have happened in the past.

As to you being a whiny b**** about me calling Arabic "terrorist", if there was a country called "Terrorist" that was a safe haven for terrorists around the world, what would the official language be? Don't worry kiddo, you can say it, there's nothing racist about it. Contrary to your r****ded opinion, a language isn't a race.

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

That's your response to a passenger?