1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Southwest Airlines] This time the skinny one gets dropped

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yonkers, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Mae

Mae Member

I have thought about this same idea about fast food restaurants. Step through one door, weight and height is calculated. If you pass you go into the restaurant, if not, a side door opens and you leave without food.

2. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

So sad parents let their kids get that fat at such a young age, blame the parents not that kid.

3. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

That just about says it all. Stand-by's get bumped for anyone who buys a ticket, whether they need 1 or 3....that's why the ticket is called "stand-by".

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

There is nothing stopping airlines from accommodating everyone by installing several large size seats in every plane and making these available to customers at the time of purchase.

I would think that this could be turned into a positive for the airline.

5. g1184

g1184 Member

What you (and originally quoted DD) just described is called "business class."

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Do not tell Michael Bloomberg about this idea.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Also....why are they allowed the same Luggage weight allowance as "skinny" people. :p

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would rather VDB than sit for a few hours next to someone who is taking up half of my space.

9. Uprising

VDB?

I was pissed on my last flight from Bahrain to Amsterdam. But there were no extra seats. I had to eat with my elbows together. was squished by this HUGE like 6'10" 300lb man. Soooooo pissed.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so he was just big...not fat?

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry for the random derail.

This has nothing to do with the thread except that it is Southwest Airlines and I didn't think it deserves its own thread.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oHnqnyzegfc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oHnqnyzegfc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Or maybe on clutchfans...

Everyone is quizzed on the way in, and if you don't pass, you can't sign up. And heck, why stop there? We could apply it to so many things in life so that everyone fits into the moral majority's idea of what is and what should never be.

Seriously, anyone that thinks this kid should be bumped for the stand by because he's too large to fit in his seat... I just don't know what to say.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It was the correct response to a situation that shouldn't happen in the first place. The fatty, regardless of age, should have bought two tickets to begin with.

My opinion is there should be new guidelines for fatties booking their airline tickets.

14. Mae

Mae Member

I'm not trying to shove my moral ideas down your throat. I didn't say the kid should have been bumped to another flight. All I stated was an idea about fast food. Forgive me for thinking that a 14 year old kid who doesn't fit into his/her own seat should not be allowed to eat more McDonalds.

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fat people should be forbidden from flying.

16. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I didn't say you were doing so, though it did seemed you agreed. I take it you don't think he should be bumped in such a case but feel strongly about kids being too obese, to the extent of your idea.

I think you (deliberately?) missed my point. Nothing to forgive, no harm intended or done, just don't agree with your point.

18. Uprising

The guy was over weight, not a HUGE fatty but I would call him obese. Dude was HUGE though...very broad shoulders that made sitting next to him one of the worst flights I have ever had.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's called First Class!

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

agreed...stand-bys always get bumped...always...but at 14 and needing an extra seat...dayum, that's a biggen...