1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

South Park Season Premiere

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by codell, Oct 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. shawn786

shawn786 Member

South Park / Prison Break

The only 2 shows I watch on TV

(Family Guy here & there but its kind of dieing out)

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I agree. I think Family Guy could have a field day with this. Yeah, we get it...Cartman's a schemer. Same ****, different story.

Eh, not really, I just don't understand South Park's hate for Family Guy. Like all animated shows (or sitcoms in general) must follow the same pattern. I love South Park and always have, but Matt Stone and Trey Parker seem like one huge Turd Sandwich/Douchebag hybrid.

3. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

It's not just Matt and Trey. If you listen to the DVD commentary of their Family Guy episodes, they talk about how the producers and creators of The Simpsons and King of the Hill all feel the same way. Pretty much every animated show hates Family Guy.

It's that the Family Guy people have the talent to make a truly great show but take the easy way out because it makes more money and rely on gags that have nothing to do with the story. It's the exact same criticism that most people have of Nickelback. Some people like it and some don't.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, I've heard that, but haven't heard it directly from the mouths of those guys. Sounds like sour grapes since Family Guy was probably the most popular animated show in the early 00s and it got a cult following after it was canceled. Plus, making jokes about how they wish the creator would have made his flight on 9/11 is way overboard.

If Family Guy is Nickelback, what does that make South Park. It was so fresh last night to hear Cartman make Jewish jokes. I mean, that's awesome. I hope all of next week's episode makes fun of how poor Kenny's family is. They haven't done that in a while.

The difference between Family Guy and South Park, IMO, is that the South Park creators take themselves way too seriously.

5. AkeemTheDreem86

This was the best part. So random, Craig.

6. WildSweet&Cool

Yeah, but I disagree. Family guy is the best politically incorrect thats-so-wrong show on non-cable television. Simpsons is funny, but not nearly as raw as Family Guy. South Park is more graphic and profane, but they're only on cable.

I like the Simpsons. I like South Park. I like Family Guy. King of the Hill is just okay.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You take that back.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

9. WildSweet&Cool

Ya know... King of the Hill started kinda funny, but it quickly lost its edge and started getting too wholesome.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I thought it was the exact opposite.

11. tulexan

tulexan Member

I thought Family Guy lost its magic when South Park mocked them and exposed the overdone flashbacks that Family Guy relies on.

12. WildSweet&Cool

But that was no surprise to me. Yeah - FG uses a ton of flashbacks to deliver jokes that aren't related to the story. I figured that out the first time I saw the show, and South Park didn't really expose that.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It took a South Park episode to understand the style of comedy Family Guy has relied on since the very first episode?

14. tulexan

tulexan Member

No, clearly I was aware of the way the show works, but the way South Park showed it made it so ridiculous.

I don't mind having the occasional "you think that's bad what about the time...", but when you use that as the driver of the show, I think it reflects poor writing.

I think South Park has much better writing and is able to be an effective satire and make really good points even though it is so off the wall.

15. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

How is South Park a smarter show than Family Guy ?

I'm not saying that Family Guy is a brilliant show, but come on... Look at what people are quoting from last night's episode of South Park.

"Crap-filled vagina..."

Some people think a little too highly of themselves.

16. tulexan

tulexan Member

They may have a lot of ridiculous episodes like last night's, but they also have had several brilliant satires and is known to be highly topical because of the ability to put shows out in a week or two instead of several months like other animated programs.

17. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

What are their brilliant satires ?

Being topical is not exactly hard to do... Every single late night host does it, whether they are on "network" television or basic cable. The reason they can be topical more than other animated shows is because they use an easier animation program that allows them to do so...

18. tulexan

tulexan Member

Just off of the top of my head I would say the smug episode, goobacks episode, best friends for ever (kenny - terry schiavo), and two days before the day after tomorrow (katrina episode).

19. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

"Goobacks" is brilliant? The episode where people from the future are looking for jobs ? The "they took 'r jobs," line was funny, but come on... none of this was brilliant.

Their views on political or social issues are too simplistic and transparent to be considered smart satires (no one needs lectures from Kyle after every episode to sum up the point like it's an episode of Full House).

Animated sitcoms should be funny. They don't need to have a point of view. No one is going to form mature perspectives on the world from a 22 minute show that spends half of their time on scatological humor .

They could probably take some advice from Seth MacFarlane...

One fan asked how MacFarlane thought his show affects society.

"I don't know that we affect society," he said. "I mean, I hope we don't."

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Did you watch the King of the Hill Season Premiere? One of the best episodes in years. I personally like KOTH better than The Simpsons