1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

South America travel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bonecrusher, Feb 28, 2007.

1. bonecrusher

bonecrusher Member

People go to Europe to see culture and history but I think there is a lot to see in South America and it's not as expensive either: Peru, Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Ecuador.

I've only been to Argentina but I'd like to visit the rest of those countries.

Has anyone here traveled to those places? Discuss.

2. bonecrusher

bonecrusher Member

Also there's a lot to see in Central America: Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua, and also Mexico in North America has culture in Mexico City and Mayan history in the south.

And all you have to know for all of those countries (except Brazil) is one language, Spanish!

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Watch out for the toothpick fish.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I haven't, but I've been dying to go as well. I've been all over Europe, and to Israel and Egypt, and Guatemala and Belize, and the Guatemala/Belize trips were probably the most enjoyable to me, so I know I'd like some part of South America.

5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I just got back from a 3-week vacation in Brazil 6 weeks ago and it was amazing. Everyday costs, like food, in Brazil were definitley cheaper than the US and Europe, but flying to Brazil and within Brazil is a lot more expensive than flying to Europe and within Europe.

For example, my roundtrip ticket from Houston to Sao Paulo was $1100, although I did go during high-season (New Years). The other thing that surprised me was how expensive domestic flights were. It cost me $325, roundtrip, for a 2-hour flight from Sao Paulo to Porto Seguro...and this ticket was purchased well in advance.

Anyways, it was one of the most beautiful countries I ever visited. I got a chance to go to Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, and Caraiva (which is a secluded resort in Bahia). It helped that I had friends living in Brazil, so the language barrier wasn't too bad. If I were by myself, or with other Americans, I could definitly see myself getting pretty confused...I've been to countries all over Europe, but you have to understand that English isn't even the second language in Brazil, so it could get hard to communicate with many of the locals.

I'm sure you've heard about the crime in Brazil, but like anywhere else you go in the world, just be smart about things and you should be fine.

Have fun!

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I go to Bolivia almost every year. We have a house in Santa Cruz. It's a fun place to visit, although like most SA countries. NEVER carry your belongings in your back pocket. get one of those pouches that goes around your crotch. Even the ones that go around your neck have the chances of being cut by a thief.

For the ladies.....NO purses. The straps will be cut.

Places I'd visit in Bolivia:

Santa Cruz...

La Paz...

Cochabamba

7. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

I've been traveling back and forth from Colombia, Ecuador and the US now for the last 2 years due to work. As I write this I am in Bogota, Colombia right now. I will tell you that everything here is absolutely gorgeous. The cities, the climate, the tradition, culture, and especially THE WOMEN. My God I have been so so so spoiled because they also love foreigners. Its like Im a rockstar down here. I have some great stories to tell. Im telling you, if you get the chance to travel to Latin America you need to make a pit stop in Colombia. For the best women I recomend Medellin and Cali. You really really need to get down here. Plus it is cheaper too. Ecuador and Panama both use US dollars so the transition is not bad if your thinking of those places as well.

P.S. If your not married be careful, you might be once you leave here.

8. bonecrusher

bonecrusher Member

People say Colombia is really dangerous but I'd really like to check out Bogota.

9. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

do you speak spanish or is english fairly prevalent down there?

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I'm going to Peru next year. My brother is living in Peru for about 3 years now. And i want to visit him, also i would love to see some Inca culture, and the rainforrest.

11. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

We have. Make sure your insurance is current.

Sincerely,
    [​IMG]

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I can't wait to go. Always wanted to travel from one end of the andes to the other. Ancient civilizations, incredible scenery, and a grandiose sense of isolation. Perfect.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

man, i'd love to spend some time in the Amazon, boating down that river would be f'n cool.

14. Elle Woods

Elle Woods Member

I would love to go to Colombia as I was born there and lived the first seven years of my life there. I haven't been back since moving to the U.S. but I still have some relatives there that I would love to see. Unfortunately I'm scared to travel there as well because of all of the negative and dangerous things that you hear about Colombia.

15. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

I've been throughout most of Latin America, but i'm excited that I'm going to Colombia for a wedding in June.

I also have a wedding in Brazil in May, and plan on hitting Argentina for some fun after that. Of course June is winter and its freezing down there at that time of the year!

16. Buck Turgidson

Can't. Freaking. Wait.

17. Rox_fan_here

Let me tell you, Colombia gets a really bad rap. It was well deserved around 92-93, but since then things have been getting much much better. Bogota is the safest city here in Colombia. It is really advanced and beautiful. Walk down the streets and you will see everyone in a suit. As far as the crime, its just like any other major city. You need to follow your instincts (ie dont walk down a dark ally alone at night). However I would still stress that you go with someone you can trust who knows the area, because there are certain parts of the city that you dont want to go to. Thats what I had when I arrived here fortunately.

As far as kidnapping and ransoming Americans, that has really become a non-threat in the city. As long as you stay in the city you are relatively safe. Its in the mountains and on the outskirts that you become vulnerable.

Bonecrusher as far as the Spanish English goes. I speak Spanish but I have an accent that is unmistakably American. A lot of people here are bilingual but its not going to be like a Mexico where it seems like a majority speak Engish. Like I said though if you come, make sure you know someone here you can trust who will look after you. However don't let the stereotypes fool you and scare you away. Its definitly not as bad as people think. I've been here 2 years, traveled all over on my own, and nothing has ever happened to me. (knock on wood)

If your interested in coming down email me and let me know when. I would be happy to show you around bro. limited_few@hotmail.com

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

How prevalent is English in these countries? Can an English speaker get by with un poco espanol?

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've been wanting to go to Peru for some time now. I have a friend that just got back from working down there and got a chance to do some hiking in the Andes, and that just fueled the fire.

20. Rox_fan_here

I promise you wherever you go, those countries are used to tourists and American visitors on business. You will get by well enough. Like I said just don't expect everyone to speak English like some parts of Mexico.