1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Vogel: Contacted by Morey - Morey trying to move fast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

You would think so, but there are other things that go into the equation; including money, level of control and comfort.

Personally I would hire him for the front office.

I would hire Kenyon Martin as an assistant coach.

2. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

**** Jeff Hornacek. **** him forever.

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

That's worrisome, I didn't know Vogel had interviewed with anyone yet (thought he was not ready), but I guess he has with the the Knicks....wonder why we haven't yet?

4. hakeemthagreat

Adelman didn't use it, and I'm HAPPY he didn't because it lead him to having the best winning% of any Rocket coach at the time (despite injuries & roster turnover). Mchale & JB DEFINITELY used it and had Morey in their ears the whole time. Stop deflecting & admit it's been a power struggle between Morey & EVERY coach since he's been here. Adelman not catering was the reason he was unjustly let go

Respected among NBA circles? Who cares:confused: Bottom line, Phoenix was falling part when he got fired. The players were disgruntled and the team was losing. You think he's the answer here? Never.

5. rockets13champs

I think horniceck on warriors is simmilar to how lane kiffin is the offensive coordinator for Alabama.

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

He's a very nice guy, but Horny's tenure in Phoenix was absolutely horrible. The team was miserable. Issues that should have stayed in the locker room spilled out into the media, mutual friends and agents.

The Morris Bros (FOE!) definitely didn't help things out, but Jeff had limited ability to control a locker room of young guys. He had some great pieces to work with, but he CANNOT relate to his players. There is a disconnect in his communication from one guy to the next, and the players grew tired of it. Well, you all saw it, too. The Suns imploded.

Even if Horny is receptive to analytics, he doesn't have the personality or general ability to meet James and another star at their current mindset, and he certainly doesn't have the tools to help elevate the same guys into greatness.

Jeff's coaching is just as soft as his routine at the free throw line. And yes, I know it was a shout out to his kids.

Still, I'll pass. I hope the Rockets do, too.

1 person likes this.
  7. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I agree. He is terrible in Phoenix. I watched the offense and they look lost most of the times. It's like Jeff did not have any playbook and just let players do what they want.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't know if Hornacek is a good coach.
    But I don't think anyone knows, and don't think you can say he was bad, or caused locker room problems.
    Yes, its helpful if you have a coach that can handle chemistry issues. but the Morris twins are a level beyond chemistry issues.

The suns organization has been a disaster. and in that disaster they still make some good moves, but on the whole i don't think any coach would have had any success all else being the same.

Whether that makes him a good NBA coach hire or not, i don't know.

I'm not going to be super ecstatic if the Rockets hire him. but... you never know.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Then he will fit in like a glove with the Rockets if McFail and JBB were anything to go by.

1 person likes this.
  10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Voice of reason!

11. hakeemthagreat

Based off how he left Phoenix we can say his performance was poor. That team still hasn't recovered from that mess

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

like other posters have said; no idea if Horny is a good coach. But just on pure principle...how can we hire one of the biggest anti-rockets of all time as our head coach? i get it; I'm being immature. But seriously ...this guy is one of the poster-children for a generation of Jazz hate. Jazz hate in clutch city necessarily will always run deep ...and it should!

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Did you see the roster moves they did after Hornacek led the team to a pic better record than anyone thought possible his first year?

It's very easy to craft a story that they were coached to overachieve then management f'd up the roster. Of course that might not be accurate. He might just be a bad coach. It's really hard to tell.

14. anchel

anchel Member

So right now it would be between...:

- JVG

- Vogel

- Messina

- Blatt

- D'Antoni

- Hornacek ?

Watching the list and what candidates have in common, I'd say Hornacek seems like the less likely...

And from the other 5? Trying to talk about chances, not our preferences.

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

- JVG: Ours for the taking if desired [90%]

- Vogel: Magic and Knicks clear interest; close with Morey; interviewed before; [65%]

- Messina: Possibly to Memphis [40%]

- Blatt: Told friends he had the NYK job if not Rambis [20%]

- D'Antoni: Buzz has died down, defense clearly a priority for our team [20%]

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Woj

The Magic met with Frank Vogel on Monday, league sources tell @TheVertical. He's a strong candidate for Orlando's head coaching job.
    6:36 PM - 17 May 2016

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

At this point i just think Vogel is not an enough big name for Les...smh...

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

Thibs, Van Gundy, Vogel all available...and we might end up with Pringles? Screw this. I would rather have Kenny over Pringles.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member