1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[sources] - Sam Dekker may need back surgery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by arjun, Jul 14, 2015.

1. MistaK

MistaK Member

Which decent PG? Dekker is more talented than any PG that was available at 18..Dekker was actually predicted to go in the lottery!! Sure it sucks if this rumour about him needing surgery is true - but I wouldn't jump the gun just yet...wait until this is actually confirmed. And even if healthy, there is no telling how soon he would have cracked the rotation anyway.

2. i3artow i3aller

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Damn lawnmower

1 person likes this.
  4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Jerian...Grant....

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

This better not be true. The last thing we need is another wasted first rounder by Morey. Especially when there were a couple of decent PGs available at #18.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

OP may have burned a bridge with this one.

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Sucks to hear. Wasted pick but he still wouldn't have played this year. Now cancel next year because of devolpment & playing behind good players. 3rd year may be the time he gets s chance.

His ceiling wasn't high for me and that's why I didn't like the pick from the start.

8. mightybosstone

God, are fans really freaking out over this? First off, the guy wasn't getting any minutes anytime soon anyway. The Rockets are stacked on the wings and at the forward spots, and we all know McHale doesn't usually play rookies. And anyone suggesting the Rockets could have drafted someone to contribute from day one, that's complete crap. How many rookies drafted every year could contribute on opening day to a championship contending team, much less rookies drafted out of the lottery? Very, very few.

Everyone just needs to chill out. As of right now this is just a third hand rumor, but even if it does happen, that means essentially nothing for the team this season.

1 person likes this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

May not mean much for the team this season (Unless...Oh I dunno...We have an injury or two)....But even long term speaking, back problems can linger....

10. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

He's getting traded anyway so it doesn't matter

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I already warned you guys that fat lump Keith Jones is one of the reason why the Rockets remain a team with a boat load of injuries.

If you have a physical trainer / coach who is obese, overweight etc and looks like he has never stepped into the gym in his life, what exactly do you expect from the players?

FiRE Keith Jones already

12. malakas

malakas Member

if he needs surgery noone will want him. Surgery in the back before even playing a nba game??

Btw I don't believe any of this until I have confirmation. The medical staff wouldn't have missed something like that..

13. mightybosstone

We had plenty of injuries last season. How many minutes did McDaniels and Capela see in the regular season? I rest my case.

As for the future, yeah, it's a legitimate concern. But right now we know nothing, and there's no reason to think the sky is falling. He played three pretty full seasons at Wisconsin (35, 38 and 40 games) with no significant injury history. This isn't Oden or Embiid. He could have back surgery, come back late in the season or early next year and be perfectly fine. There's certainly no reason to get super upset about this at this point.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It would probably hurt more in trade value that it would effect his tenure with the Rockets. A team that would trade for him needs him to play, if he has to sit as a Rocket, we have Ariza and Brewer to hold the fort.

15. mightybosstone

This. If there's any reason to be upset, it's not for Dekker's future with the Rockets or his lack of a potential impact this season. It's that any injury could hurt Morey's ability to trade him. That's what worries me, especially if he's trying to pull of something big before the start of the season.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, cuz the Rockets medical staff never missed an injury before, right? Remember when D-Mo had a sore back that would keep him out a week or two and suddenly he's lost for the season after needing surgery? Dekker's situation is sure starting to sound familiar.

17. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Back trouble can be very tricky. Back trouble can go bad on you very fast, like D-Mo last season. Sometimes extended rest and therapy can clear things up. Hopefully he gets well soon.

If healthy, Dekker isn't likely to get much playing time this season unless we have a trade or an injury to Ariza/Brewer. McHale WILL play rookies if they are ready to perform and we have a need. Parsons played because he was ready and we didn't have much at the 3. Dekker is behind Ariza and Brewer.

I am hoping he hits the D-league, works on his shot and defense.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hopefully this is all part of some disinformation campaign to keep other teamds from insisting on Dekker in trade talks.

One can hope, right?

20. bmd

bmd Member

Mowing the lawn.