1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets Willing to Rent Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

He had such good luck with Bosh

2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Bosh played here? Man where was I!? :rolleyes:

3. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Probably with your head up your Kazoo!!! :grin: :grin: He tried to convince Bosh to come here and sign as a free agent is what I am talking about with his luck at getting big names to sign here. the lure of playing with Paul and Amare might be too tempting for Morey to overcome in trying to resign Melo

4. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

haha...but the point of his argument was that once actually came here and played. Once he saw our facilities and talked with adleman and saw how les is the best owner ever...and that morey has magical powers that he would agree to stay....

Actually maybe he just needs to make physical contact with him to use his manipulation powers. I dunno.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would have to somewhat agree with this. The Rockets have too much clutter on their roster now, trade exceptions, and Yao's contract that will go to waste. Taking on Melo as a rental without losing key pieces for the future could give you a roster that has the potential to do damage in the playoffs. If Melo

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'm all for it assuming we don't have to give up a bunch to rent him, which I'm assuming we wouldn't as all the big time offers (ie NJ) won't happen if the receiving team can't sign him to an extension. Whether Melo decided to stat or not, I doubt he wouldn't want his $$ via a S&T. Getting 2 draft picks (ie from Bosh) or 3 picks (ie from LeBron), a large TE or some assets (ie Randolph or Gallo) doesn't sound bad to me.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Sorry, forgot to close this thought....

If Melo integrates well with our roster and they make it to say... the Western Conference Finals, it would be hard for any player to not sign an extension. Even if the Rockets have to give up a couple assets, getting deep in the playoffs for one postseason isnt terrible... regardless I still dont see this happening... I still dont think the Rockets have a shot at getting him, they just want to actively be involved in the deal as possibly a third team.

8. Prince

Prince Member

makes sense to me as long as we don't give up core players.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

That's not the question.

The question is which team is willing to offer the best deal to Denver for a Melo rental. That may very well be us.

NJ isn't giving up Favors without an extension.

10. httx713

httx713 Member

Adelman is pretty good at not playing/sitting newcomers, ie T.Will so Harrington does not really have to get a bunch of minutes... So bring Melo and Al as long as the traded pieces are Brooks, CBud, Battier, Patrick P and Picks ..

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Ah but your missing the point Mr. Hater. If we own Melo's rights no one can give him more money. The Melo greed factor is a big one. If you remember correctly Melo was drafted the same time as Wade and Lebron but the reason his contract situation is different is because he chose more guaranteed money as opposed to ability to become a free agent earlier. If any one star was about more money it would be Melo. If the Rockets trade for his rights they will be able to sign him to more guaranteed money than anyone else. Alot more money.

It is a good bet that no matter what Melo says now, he will not pass up that money. Of course he will say I will not sign an extension and will become a free agent this off season. His agent is telling him to do exactly. Scare Denver into trading you. If they don't they stand to lose a lot. So play chicken with them and I am sure you will win. But Morey is the best at playing chicken. ANd he believes if we can win with Melo and Melo sees it for himself than the odds increase that he will sign. Plus the worst case scenario is we get Galinaro and Randolph and another pick for ANthony in a sign and trade to New York.

Morey sees all of this and more.

12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I dunno...I just dont see Morey making a deal for Melo with no assurance of a re-signing or anything else up his sleeve.

A scenario I can imagine working out is us renting Melo for half the season, and in the offseason working a sign and trade deal to teams vying for his talents.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Morey always has something else up his sleeve.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

**** that. Trade battier!

15. Jeasy713

Jeasy713 Member

To add to this point, I could see this happening. That being said Morey has yet to really overpay for talent (Scola and Lowry were suspect, unless Lowry becomes the full time starter), so I could see Morey using the playoff success to really bargain Melo into a better contract with the Rockets (considering they wouldn't have to match an offer during a lockout season).

16. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I don't why we would go after him, even if we go to the playoffs with Melo we aren't going to accomplish anything with our current group, I would say try different plan.

17. herro

herro Member

This just sounds like a dumb idea.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The big difference between the (rumored) Rockets offer and the Nets offer is that New Jersey WILL NOT trade Favors + the picks unless Melo signs an extension (in and "extend-and-trade" transaction). The Rockets could likely put together one of the best combination of young players and picks (or maybe just A pick) for a Melo RENTAL.

Agreed, though, that the Rockets can't beat the Nets' offer if Melo was going to first sign the extension. Also agreed that this could be the Nuggets trying to increase Melo's trade value.

On a separate note, people need to realize that, after February 24, 2010, if the Rockets acquire Melo, they WILL NOT be able to sign him to an extension UNDER THE CURRENT CBA and then trade him to another team.

Sure, the new CBA may "grandfather" certain existing contracts, but there is no guarantee that the new CBA will allow then-current free agents to sign new contracts under the old CBA rules. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that such contract parameters will be disallowed under the new CBA, and the 2011 free agents will be forced to take whatever they can get under the new CBA.

So, the Rockets will have the following options if they acquire Melo at or prior to the trade deadline:

(1) Immediately flip Melo (who could not then be traded in combination with any other players) to another team for something else prior to the "final bell" at the trade deadline;

(2) Just rent Melo for a few months and watch him leave in free agency for nothing;

(3) Keep Melo for the remainder of the season (and hopefully playoffs) and try to convince him to sign a lucrative extension with Houston prior to the July 1 expiration of the current CBA to stay with Houston long-term; or

(4) If Melo turns down the extension offer, work out a sign-and-trade deal to a new team after the lockout is over, in which case Melo's new contract would (likely) be subject to the lower salary rules of the new CBA (but still probably better than what he could get if he signed outright as a free agent).

19. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Gambling or not, you still have a lot of outs. If you trade for Anthony and he walks, you still have roughly the same cap space that the expiring contracts you're sending out are worth. If you cash in some role players now and he walks, you're short role players but have open holes in your roster that can be filled through other trades and the draft. I imagine we probably wouldn't trade Martin or Scola for a Carmelo-type player, either (because that'd significantly shrink the small chance we'd have at an extension to begin with, similar to the Kobe-to-Bulls talk in 07 where he would've vetoed a trade to Chicago if they gave Deng to the Lakers), which leaves us in great position because we either nab that player and our 2nd tier all-star guys (a la ray allen, lamar odom, ron artest) look like studs, or we bide our time a little more and still have a team that's one major piece away from at least being relevant in a championship conversation.

20. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I don't know that you can safely assume you're going to have bird rights for a S&T. With the new CB coming up, you don't really know how things are going to work. Perhaps NY would be able to match without a S&T. Perhaps there's a hard cap that makes it impossible for us to sign him to a max contract and enable a S&T.

I personally think Morey is more motivated by 2 other factors. One, we have many assets that are going to expire and be useless to us if not used by the trade deadline essentially. All the expiring contracts, rooking contracts, trade exceptions...we won't be able to use them as effectively or at all if we don't use them now. So in that regard, if you can make the deal without using much of our non-expiring contracts....what's to lose?

Second, even if the Rockets can't acquire Anthony, there is value to be gained in getting involved. We already got TW through all this Anthony talk, and we could easily turn it in to another player or two. By giving the Nuggets another option, we push the other suiters into uping their bid and getting something done. It's another sure fire win.

Unless Morey really believes that Anthony can come in bring us very close to the championship, I don't think he'd settle for a rental for rental's sake only. We don't want to be another Cleveland or NYK and take a long shot like that.