1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets plan to resign Dwight this summer - NOT to MAX deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 2, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

I can guarantee you, like put my hand on the fire, that the 20 per deal is for 5 years. Otherwise Dwight will be really stupid to stay.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Under NBA rules... yeah it violates the rules so yes its wrong.

As a pure business move, I absolutely have no problem with it. When you interview for a job, and you have another one already, do you have to tell you current employer? If your current employer has been great to you are you doing right by them by interviewing behind their back?

Its a business. Fegan is doing what he needs to in order to get Dwight paid. I have no problem with it. Its not hurting anyone.

"Its what I want to hear".... ??? not sure what you mean there. I don't care either way. There are positives to both. I'd love to have Dwight back on a reasonable deal LONG TERM, but at the same time if he walks there are positives to the fact that his large contract will free up possibilities elsewhere.

I'm totally open to whatever the market dictates best for Dwight and for Houston. If the market dictates its a good deal for the Rockets to get him back... GREAT. That's best case scenario IMO.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Called facts'o life. Nobody who might trade for DHo will deal without 'wink-wink' in place.

I'd still look at Knicks and Heat as possible destinations. And Cavs. If LBJ wants him and vice versa. Love/Moz - DHo/TJo makes great sense IMO. A real 'who says no'.

4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I read this on hoopshype.com 4 days ago. :p

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Maybe it just doing due diligence but contacting the Mavs and Lakers?

If Dwight is really out for the highest dollar like that then I don't see him returning. Somebody will offer him too much.

Cyberx, do you know if the Rockets will explore trading him at all?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

7. cyberx

cyberx Member

Just feelers... I feel a lot of you really dont know what goes on behind the scenes... The things agents do... Players associates do.

You really dont think Dwights reps have gone out to see what they may be feeling? Dont be silly.

Hortford I am hearing a few teams. Lakers being one of them.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You just said the Dallas Mavericks talked $$s with Howard's agent. And other teams did to. Why should I be fine with this?

Did this happen or not? If so, it is the definition of tampering. No representative of the Dallas Mavs can discuss future salary numbers with one of our signed players whether directly or through their agent.

9. htown7829

htown7829 Member

Doesn't Dwight have a player option for next year? If he wanted to stay here, wouldn't he "opt in"? These guys rarely if ever take huge pay cuts just because they like it somewhere.

10. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Great reasoning.

It is not happening because it is illegal.

Really really logical.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

At this I would say "COMMITTING A MAX OFFER". When the market opens up on July 1st, and there are multiple offers on the table, and there is a greater need, who knows Cuban AND Morey might bump their offers up to the max.

Right now though, no smart GM would go into an offer situation (especially casually this early) with a max offer to Dwight. That being said I'm sure nobody was committing a max offer to Enes Kanter last Summer either, but the market forced GM's to increase their offers.

For the record, I think Dwight will do just fine this Summer. This is just Fegan doing his job. However if AT THIS POINT if multiple teams were able to communicate back to Fegan that YES they want to court him with a max deal (something the Rockets are very open about MONTHS before free agency with past players), then he's able to go back to Morey and create leverage to either verbally commit to a higher offer, or possible force a trade.

And a trade scenario HAS TO BE at least sort of in play given the timeline of when this is coming out. However I think its just the time of year that Agents make calls because of their calendar.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

you really dont think reps don't go out and see what others teams interest are financially for their players? that really shouldn't be too surprising

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I would like to see Howard on a 4 year 20 mill per deal that decreases.

So like 23 million the 1st year, and 17 mill his 4th year. With the cap increasing even more over the years I think in the last year's it will look very fair even if Howard declines.

14. malakas

malakas Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Great. Thanx cyber you are the only one who has told about the Lakers.

Wth is Ainge doing though. If he doesn't do something he will lose half his assets value.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Really? Heh. Nice.

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

The ONLY way they can is if Morey/Les, and Fegan agreed to seek out a party to deal Howard to in the next two weeks. That's the only way.

And like I said before, I guarantee you agents, friends, associates have tampered before. You bet yourself it didn't make itself to the forum or to the surface.

If cyberx had any "source", his source would've gunned him for this ****.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Thanks for the news cyberx

But it makes me a bit nervous.
    Projected 2016/17 cap is 89mill
    We want to offer Dwight 20ish (so 22% of it).

Projected 2017/18 cap is 108mill
    If Dwight were to receive just 15% of that he gets 18.5mill per.

The reason I bring the 17/18 cap up is that Dwight is slated to earn over 23mill next year unless he opts out.

If he opts out and takes 20mill per (with max raise per year of 7.5%), he earns: 20, 21.5, 23.1, 24.8, 26.7 = total 116.2mill
    If he opts in, and signs for 5 years at just 15% of the 17/18 cap (with max raises), he earns: 23.2, 18.5, 19.9, 21.4, 23, 24.8 = 130.7mill

If it is his 'last contract' then he is nuts not to follow the 2nd route. Worth noting that I might be grossly underselling his earning ability after 1 more season - all he has to do is perform again at the same level he is this season, yet have better direction (and a few better pieces on the roster), and he may again get offered 20% of the cap.

tl;dr I don't see why Dwight would opt out to sign for less unless he is making a sacrifice in order to challenge (so opting out is a great sign I suppose).

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Don't know why people are surprised by this. This happens all the time and I like cyber mentioned, "much shadier" stuff occurs.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

thanks for the insight. Why do you bother to chime in if cyber is some you do not regard him highly? This site was created for fans of the team. Some LEGIT insiders, verified by Clutch, share information that they hear via sports agencies/agents or via front offices remaining as discrete as possible.

And as much as you rip on cyber, you have NOT provided one shred of evidence to the contrary/ i havent seen it yet. Go crawl back into the hole you came from Mr. Ground Hog.

1 person likes this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

what does it matter if you are fine with that or not? Are you going to call the police? There is no proof and everyone is doing it.