1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets plan to resign Dwight this summer - NOT to MAX deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 2, 2016.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just trade Dwight already, lets speed up the game.

DD

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You've claimed yourself that you have a higher level PR background. Are you saying you yourself as the GM would come out and say "We think Dwight Howard is a bad investment so we actually think we are better letting him walk"??

Plus I'm not sure if you are correct that its that cut and dry. The Rockets are playing a game here, but the way I take it as that they are hoping best case scenario to lower Dwight's market price to THE ACTUAL REAL value going into negotiations this Summer. I think that means IMO that they want him back at a much lower price which makes sense. What you are paying vs. what you are getting right now is not great value.

If the end result is someone else overpays for Dwight, and you are left with cap flexibility (in two years where the league is to see a historic jump in the cap), I think the Rockets (and I'm sure they believe so as well) are looking better long term than they would being bogged down with a 35 year old Dwight making 40 million a year.

3. malakas

malakas Member

You are right. A GM who does his job right, can't just do a trade without first posturing trying to get leverage, shopping around and finding the best deal.
    But just to say..his actual real value in the market today is not 20 per. It's more. Especially if it's not a 5 year contract.

4. dobro1229

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The market determines the value. So until Dwight hits the market, we won't be able to say he's worth this or that.

What we do know though is that Dwight at this point, isn't valued high enough to secure a verbal agreement more than the amount that the Rockets have leaked out (and if you believe in the legitimacy of Cyberx's report) this 20Mil per seems to be what is a realistic offer when free agency starts up.

However, once July 1st hits, and teams get desperate, the market will dictate how much higher he can go. Also can go the other way too if more injuries come out.

Like I said a few days ago, and so on, I think in the end, if Dwight is healthy he's going to do REALLY well in free agency. Someone will get desperate, and we all know multiple teams will want him even though right now they won't commit to a max offer on day 1.

5. malakas

malakas Member

Dobro read again cyber's posts because you misunderstood. Dwight has asked TWO teams (that cyber has let us know/is aware of) and they refused to give the max not the 20 per. His max is 30 per. From 20 to 30 it's a HUGE difference.
    It's possible to estimate market value.
    Just know how many teams need a c, how much capspace they have, what direction they are in, and how many free agents C are available.

Free agents available C (compared to the other positions it's a fine class)
    Ezeli : price near max RFA.
    Mozgov : price ?? - will be further determined by his playoff perfomance- Less than 20 more than 14 UFA.
    Noah : price less than 17 - most probably resigning with Chicago on the cheap end of his range.
    Pau : signing with Memphis or a contender
    Back ups:
    Al Jef: price around 10 per- who knows where
    Hibbert: price around 10 per - who knows where
    A.Johnson : possibly not even opted out because his 12 per is market value-whereas last year it was above market value.

Did this list from memory so I am sure I forgot someone.
    Anyway we have that Portland, Charlotte, Boston and Chicago can be left wihtout a C. Depending on trades more teams as well.
    Dwight is the best C on the market, a market that has already given 13-15 per to players who perform much worse than him like Rolo, Chandler, Asik.
    With the new cap rise - excluding any new injury- 20 per is below market price.

The carrot in Houston's stick is the 5th year.

6. malakas

malakas Member

If they trade Cousins they should just go on and move the team. Idiots.

7. sabesque

sabesque Member

Cousins has been the leader of their team for 6 seasons - 5 seasons of not winning more than 30 games. 6 seasons of basically being out of the playoffs by the allstar break.

I know it's not Cousins' fault, but it's not completely idiotic to ask the questions. Are they going to get it done rebuilding around Cousins? Might be time to look at what kind of first round picks and assets you can get for him and start building around WCS and the youth movement.

8. dobro1229

I guess i didn't really study exactly what Cyberx reported, but you are still pretty much just repeating my point. The market on July 1st will dictate, and Dwight is going to do very well for the same reasons that you just noted... if he's healthy.

My understanding is that NO teams are offering him a guarantee of a max offer at this point when free agency starts. Bu there are 4 months left till the market opens for free agency, and as you noted there is already 4 teams needing a starting center long term... that's a pretty good start at this point, and that number could increase in Dwight's favor.

A bigger reason why teams probably aren't offering enough to entice Morey in trades is that they truly think he's going to be available in July and there is no reason to give up assets for a player they can get if they just pay a little bit more than the next team.... which is why the market I would predict will eventually increase with Dwight since multiple teams are likely thinking the same thing Ainge is thinking, and will be bidding against each other.

If you made me put on my "Clairvoyant Dobro" hat, my guess would be that Dwight ends up with another team this offseason, and the Rockets let him walk without matching in favor of opting for cap flexibility. That cap flexibility means more to them than Dwight in keeping Harden when he starts to think about whether or not to ditch the Rockets in free agency in a couple years.

9. DaDakota

Again, the Rockets don't really want him, they have clearly moved on, they are just making a cursory attempt at low balling him.

He will get paid, probably more than he is making now, because some team will always fall for the pretty girl - they want the Pamela Anderson in the playboy issue, but they are getting the current version instead.

Playboy!
    [​IMG]

Current:
    [​IMG]

DD

#649 DaDakota, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  10. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Dwight is gonna probably accept the 20mil for 3 or 4 years.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Goodbye defense. We already allow 105 pts per game, sans D12 it will shoot up to 120. If we learned anything from the McHale fiasco you don't break it down if you don't have another piece already in place. DMo isn't enough of a piece right now to really space Dwight.

12. DaDakota

LOL - they score with him in there too - I mean it is hardly like he is a consistent factor on defense.

He is a factor, and he gobbles up those defensive boards (gotta get those numbers baby) but he is not a difference maker any more.

DD

13. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

When Dwight averages 25 and 15 in the playoffs, these "lets get rid of Dwight" post will be all gone, and some of you will be saying that we should trade Harden and give D12 the MAX.

14. DaDakota

When Yao is healthy.....

:)

DD

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

He also changes a number of shots as well. It isn't purely a stats thing with him. Taking him away makes the problem that is our defense much much worse. Dwight also isn't horrific on offense either. His presence is better than the regressing Capela, the often injured DMo and others that won't be mentioned. I'm not saying don't trade Dwight, I'm saying don't fire sale him. If Dwight is on the table Houston has to be getting an equal player back, no pu pu platters for us. Hell, if Blake Griffin is on the table I wouldn't mind a Dwight + DMo and filler for Blake. That's what you trade him for, not Crowder and junk.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I thought about that. It might make sense for both teams. OKC would have to be convinced Ariza would help them more than Ibaka in matching up with GSW. Ibaka is worth more than Ariza so doubtful.

17. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Yup, and until Harden surpasses Dwight as the most reliable player (top dog) in the playoffs which he hasn't done (I'd like to hear your input on this DD), Dwight is the last player I would trade right now.

18. malakas

malakas Member

Who knew that we would see Pamela Anderson photos in a cyber thread about Dwight's free agency.

Keep in mind the timing too. It's important because if Dwight waits to see the most the teams offer, we can't use him to recruit Durant.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"Playoff Dwight" was 16/14 last year, even against Dallas. "Regular Season Dwight" is 14/12 right now, on a .500 team.

"Playoff Dwight" vs Portland is what you are talking about. Most of that was due to a favorable matchup against Robin Lopez. Historically, Dwight is a 20/15 playoff player. And last year showed 20pts/game may be over for Playoff Dwight.

I'm not holding my breath for 25/15 anymore, which only happened twice in Dwight's Playoff career...and again, one against Robin Lopez.

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

You gotta love Clutchfans.