1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ah, yes, this is known ("Mitt Romney will win! Kevin Love will be a Rocket!").......but I guaran-got-damned-tee you he has other accounts on here.

Anyway, I don't want to deter from the Jimmy Butler point of this thread. Cyberx says Morey will fight to his last shuddering breath to get him (I exaggerate and paraphrase). October 31st, perhaps? The Shadow knows.

D-rock likes this.
  2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Yeah, I've seen the original -- that's why I was asking if he put that in or if someone else did.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Holic when @Zoplicone started taking all the heat in this thread:

[​IMG]

D-rock, Richie_Rich, DonKnock and 6 others like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what was the original?
    I thought this was the original
    [​IMG]

Deuce, DonKnock, malakas and 4 others like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahahahahha!

ps probably one of his burners tho

mockster likes this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not the original. That's my cheesy work.

Deuce, DonKnock, malakas and 3 others like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

good job!
    what was the original like?
    like the one with the dwight minus dwight i guess :)

topfive likes this.
  8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Hahaha.

The thing I found most funny and ironic is the thing holic was getting so much heat for, “the trade could happen in December”, was legitamtiely being used by a poster or two used to defend the argument for CODs comment.

And no I don’t need a long explanation on why it’s different cuz holic always does this yadda yadda. I get it. Just funny. And ironic.

9. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

D-rock, DonKnock and steddinotayto like this.
  10. mockster

mockster Member

How do we know it’s not his alt.

topfive and steddinotayto like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

[...]

Butler did meet with Taylor this week and they worked some things out.

“The latest is he is going to be going to practice every day, which he has been, and plans to play in games,” said Taylor, who also owns the Star Tribune. “He will be a regular team player. What I said to him in the meantime is our GM, Scott Layden, will be talking to other teams to see if there is a trade that works.”

When asked if Butler, who was traded to the Wolves last offseason, along with first round pick Justin Patton, for Wolves young stars Zach LaVine, Kris Dunn and draft pick Laurie Markkanen, will give 100 percent, Taylor said there is no question, adding he will be ready for the season opener Wednesday night at San Antonio and in the home opener against Cleveland on Friday night.

“He said that is the only way he knows how to do it.”

Still Taylor said as far as he can tell, there is no chance that Butler remains a Timberwolves player after this season.

“That is not part of the plan, but as you know things can change,” Taylor said. “But that is not what we have agreed to.”

Is Taylor committed to trading Butler?

“Yes I think that he’s made it very clear that he would not re-sign with us at the end of the year and therefore it is in our interest to get a trade so that we can get a player or two to replace him that helps our team.”

Here’s the other thing, Butler is going to command a five-year, $190 million contract after this season.

Taylor has already signed off on two huge contracts. The first for Andrew Wiggins, which kicks in this season at five-years, $147 million. And the other with Karl-Anthony Towns, whose contract kicks in next season at five-years and up to $190 million.

So could Taylor pay Butler the $190 million he could draw from another team?

“We would have to make some changes on our team in order to keep Jimmy,” he said.

Thibodeau’s job safe

The other big question for Taylor, is how does he view the way that head coach and president of basketball operations Tom Thibodeau has handled the Butler situation?

“Well I’m OK with it,” Taylor said. “Initially when Butler told him that he wanted to leave you know Tom did everything he could to try to keep Jimmy here and I understand that. They have a close relationship.

“Thibs brought him here so that he would stay here, but eventually I think that listening to Jimmy, Thibs and I are lined up on this. We need to be looking at a trade.”

Thibodeau has three years left on his five-year that deal that was worth about $40 million.

Is he coaching for his job?

“No, no, the only thing now is that we are starting to play games and I am asking him to concentrate on coaching and the GM Scott Layden will help to see if any trades are available,” Taylor said.

And while news came out this week that said Butler had requested the trade immediately following the Wolves exit from the playoffs last season, Taylor said as far as he knows that is incorrect.

“Back about three weeks ago when it came out in the news Thibodeau called me and said that he had a meeting with Butler out on the West Coast and Butler had told him at that time he wanted to be traded,” he recalled. “That was the first I had heard anything about it.”

And while supposedly the reason Butler wants out is because he questions the work ethic of Towns and Wiggins, Taylor said that all three parties have told him they can play together this season.

“When I ask them they all have said they can play together in the games,” he said. “I don’t know why they wouldn’t be telling me their true feelings.”

Is Taylor still happy that he hired Thibodeau in April of 2016?

“Yes, yes, he is a good coach and I have faith in him,” he said.

Winning expectations

Taylor, who has owned the club since 1994, said this tough situation has not made him think of selling the club.

“No, no, we will get through this,” he said. “The changes we have to make, we will get through this. I’ll just keep working and doing the best I can on it to keep our team very competitive.”

And while he said he hasn’t seen any adverse effects for ticket sales, he does think this is a delicate situation for the franchise.

“I think that we have probably pretty well already sold the tickets [for this season],” he said. “I just think a lot of people are concerned as to how this will affect the team and I understand that. That is why if we’re going to do a trade it’s important that we do a trade that helps our team and keeps us competitive.”

And Taylor said that he still thinks this team, which finished 47-35 last year, was in competition for the No. 3 seed in the conference, and made the playoffs for the first time in over a decade, can still be competitive this year.

“As the year goes out we will find out,” Taylor said. “I think we are a stronger team this year than we were last year.

“Based upon how well we did last year, we should play better than last year. But that is also true of some of the other teams in the West that have improved.”​

D-rock, DonKnock, malakas and 3 others like this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

If you took the time to look into what went down you would see I was right. But how about this, become a supporting member and then get to decide if it was my fault and if I ruined it

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Sorry, championship or bust mentality went out the window when he went to LA.

DonKnock, Zboy and Zoplicone like this.
  15. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Your hypocrisy is so cute. "No one actually knows anything behind the scenes." But then quotes cyberx/codman when it fits your own speculation.

It's also cute how you soften words when needed. "The trade could happen in December"....lulz that's not what he said.
    • He took heat for saying, "Tolliver was almost a Rocket last week." -- that's an actual incorrect timeline,
    • Then his back-tracking further requires us to believe that Morey -- who has many other options -- would delay a trade to a date giving other teams time to jump in with counter-offers using Dec 15th FAs ....merely to accommodate an aging side-piece in a Blockbuster deal. Heck...Minny could offer Tolliver to anyone at that point, why risk being left on the altar...by giving everyone a chance to work Dec 15th deals.
    • That's not even close to being the same as saying the Lakers (whose only option is Dec 15th) simple called Minny with the only offer they could make.

• You do know that surely Magic/Pelinka has already called NOLA suggesting a framework of a deal for AD, by now. Those calls start early, if that's the only way they can happen.
    And we finally get to the bottom of your incessant claims. You're trying so hard to be smart and right, you can't even see that the Tolliver fabrication was a man arguing over a player's nickname (making up a trade as some kind of proof), and then trying to save face. The two were not close to being the same.

#6916 heypartner, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Little Bit, yixiixiy and BMoney like this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Actually they have been the ones keeping it going. Seems they have quite a few fans here.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You just robbed yourself of hours of entertainment.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

“Unlikely”

D-rock, DonKnock, Rashmon and 4 others like this.