1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Um... that's not how basketball works.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

Heat will get him

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Eric Gordon is what- somewhere around the 75th best player in the league? And Pj Tucker is like the 100th best?
    I can’t fathom why Morey wouldn’t pull the trigger on those two for Butler who slides in the 15-20 range. The team who gets the best individual player in a deal in the NBA wins that trade like 95 times out of 100. This just doesn’t make sense to me. Morey knows this. I feel like we would/should be all over pulling that trigger if that was the deal.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How about "Jimmy Crack Corn"?

5. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Yes

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If Butler isn't willing to sign an extension here, giving up both EG and PJ would cripple our chances of contending next season and beyond. I agree that if you can get Butler to agree on an extension, it's a deal you do......but that's a huge IF.

arabrocket and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. CapelaOnlyFan

CapelaOnlyFan Member

Morley reads CF and CF says not to trade the hall of famer pj tucker so.....the only jim that'll remain on the squad is the bearded belly

jojolover and Wulaw Horn like this.
  8. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

glad u not our GM

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

ButtGate

Easy likes this.
  10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Still don’t think we have a chance at landing him, but here is how I would see it.

PJ would have to be included in a trade.

CP3/Harden/Butler/Melo/Capela
    is better than
    CP3/Harden/EG/PJ/Capela and Melo

The first is the strongest possible five we can have out there. In order to have a chance to beat the Warriors you would have to be at your best (not fatigued) and fully healthy.
    The latter covers us more not only if an injury were to occur but if one of our players is having an off game or fatigued; keeping in mind CP getting up there in age, Harden using too much energy early and Capela not playing as long minutes throughout his career.

Hard to pick between better and safer in this case.

EDIT: I’d go with better and get Butler. And it kills me to say that because of Pj

Hakeemtheking and Wulaw Horn like this.
  11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Because it's about team fit.

Take season before last.

Majority of OKC starters were ranked higher than ours beside Harden.

Yet our lower ranked players fit much better, and we were a much better team.

People really need to stop making outlandish comments like 'Morey knows this'. He clearly knows different, thus why it hasn't been done.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

@what

ISOBall, DonKnock and matchesmalone like this.
  13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

What are the differences between but renegotiating the contract with the Wolves and finishing the current one and re-signing?

joshuaao likes this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I dunno. Their players may in fact be better. But Harden makes his teammates better, the opposite generally of what Westbrook does.

DreamShook and Wulaw Horn like this.
  15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Extension adds on future years. No cap space needed

Renegotiation changes current year. You would need the added cap space to do it. So you would have to reduce your salary by how much you are over the cap, and reduce further to add more money to his current contract, which is nearly impossible.

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Eh, I was probably low on Gordon. Maybe 45th best player in the league? PJ Tucker wasn’t in the NBA top 100 on ESPN. I know that’s not the definitive be all end all but that’s a general ballpark (Gordon was 43 I think but ahead of Cousins and Porzingis and some other injury guys bc of their injuries- it’s for the coming season only)
    The general point is Butler is by far the best player in the deal. No doubt about it. And the team that gets the best player is almost always the winner.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Butler would sign the 5 year max here. This deal is about getting paid for him. Unless the situation gets toxic I’d not be super worried about inking him.

19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I didn't mean extension, I meant playing out the current contract and then signing a new one.

@heypartner has pointed out that he's on a pre-cap spike contract and the raises on an extended deal would be lower because he's not eligible for a designated player extension.

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This man gets it.

I think Morey is willing to gamble on the possibility that Butler is here just one year if all it would take was E.G. and assets. Morey won't give up on both E.G. and Tucker without a realistic chance that Butler signs a long term deal here. Hence, this is the impasse.

* The above assumes Minny wants both E. Gawd and Thicc.