1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Cod has the courage of a lion.

bballjunkie, DonKnock and jch1911 like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

we’re talking about a top 15 player in Jimmy Butler tho...I would never think about giving Bev up for Taj/Dougie, but for CP3, I had no problems seeing Bev get traded

I know that Tucker is very valuable here and his loss would be a big deal, but when it comes to Morey, I can’t see him saying no to adding a 3rd star in Jimmy Butler because of PJ Tucker...just my opinion

I think he’s trying hard as hell not to include him, but would he ultimately make him decline a player like Jimmy Butler? My belief is no.

Y2JT likes this.
  3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

While Butler is the best player between the three, and I want to trade for him at the right cost, I’m not sure about the basketball fit. Butler has not played off the ball extensively in years and is not an elite three point shooter. It’s really hard to have three ball dominant players in the same starting lineup. Last year, D’Antoni maximized Harden and CP3’s productivity by staggering their minutes and often not playing them together. Adding a third ball dominant scorer like Butler means even more staggering of rotations/minutes. D’Antoni can do it, but it’s not going to be as easy as everyone assumes.

SA Rocket, clutchdabear and saleem like this.
  4. saleem

There is no doubt that he will be missed if he is traded. He is versatile and gutsy.

Blackjack84 and clutchdabear like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Thank you for saying this. More than any other source post, I really like this one haha.

clutchdabear, hajkov and PhilCollins like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol has this been posted?

BigMaloe, BallSoHarden, xaos and 2 others like this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is the most legit guy to comment so far. 70k followers and a blue check.

BigMaloe, luckyman76, dje243 and 11 others like this.
  8. DVauthrin

Players win games, not the GM. If your two best players tell you to keep a guy, you keep the guy. It’s not that difficult.

clutchdabear and saleem like this.
  9. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

This, and locked up for 3 more years at a friendly rate of ~8M per. It's surprising how quick some are to toss him in a package for a potential rental.

dje243, bballjunkie, yixiixiy and 2 others like this.
  10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Trading away Tucker after already losing Ariza, Luc, and Bzdelik would force me to switch the overall strategy back to score 120 every game, defense be damned. Basically go back to the strategy with a contributing Ryno.

I liked last year’s Rockets with not only a nice rotation of elite playmakers in the backcourt, but also a nice rotation of perimeter defenders at the forward spots.

My goal would be to put this rotation on the floor:

CP3
    Harden
    Butler
    Tucker
    Capela

Ennis rotates with Butler
    Melo rotates with Tucker
    Tucker rotates with Capela and backup center

Smallball lineup:

CP3
    Harden
    Butler
    Melo
    Tucker

Deuce, Chamillionaire and peleincubus like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

at the end of the day, Morey is gonna do what he feels is best to get this team a championship

Nemospl likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's just cruel.

13. saleem

The Rockets aren't as desperate as the Wolves are. DM knows that. Get the Kings in first.

14. rockets13champs

Jimmy looked so sad when the guy said ur going to kings

15. DVauthrin

While true, it’s not easy to find elite 3 & D guys like Tucker that can anchor a defense and guard four positions, either. And when that player has the support of your superstars (Harden and Paul), you don’t include him in the trade. You find another way to make the deal.

clutchdabear and saleem like this.
  16. saleem

Superb.

bballjunkie likes this.
  17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i feel like the rockets are in the driver's seat. if we're the frontrunners with just ego/pick/filler(ne?) then even if miami ups their offer we can still go with our nuclear option (tucker) and get the deal done.

but as @Codman was saying, would that be better than being the 3rd team and helping miami acquire butler by taking james johnson off their hands for say knight's contract saving them the third year of johnson's contract?

joshuaao likes this.
  18. icewill36

icewill36 Member

you all need to consider minny is only leaking this info to force miami to sweeten its deal. they might not have any real intention of dealing butler to a western conference foe unless the team is garbage

saleem, clutchdabear and hajkov like this.
  19. DVauthrin

Then he better listen to Harden and CP3. If they want Tucker on the team, he should stay. The Rockets aren’t going anywhere if Harden and CP3 don’t believe in the plan.

Y2JT and clutchdabear like this.
  20. Dash

Dash Member

Without checking the stats, I would bet Jimmy Butler had a higher 3pt percentage than Gordon last year. EG's percentages weren't good last year

J Sizzle likes this.